HQ Trivia Expands to Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular iPhone trivia game HQ Trivia has expanded to the Apple TV as of today, the company announced on Twitter.

The new Apple TV version of the app allows Apple TV owners to play the twice-daily trivia game on the big screen, which is ideal for playing in a group. Games take place at 3:00 p.m. ET and 9:00 p.m. ET.

[​IMG]

With HQ Trivia, each game has a prize pot that is distributed to all participating winners. Games take place twice daily and include an assortment of trivia questions. Participants have just seconds to answer when a question is asked, cutting down on the potential for cheating.

On the Apple TV, players can use the Apple TV remote to choose and submit their answers.

As TechCrunch points out, the new HQ Trivia Apple TV app comes as interest in the game is waning. Based on App Annie rankings, HQ Trivia on iOS has dropped from the #1 trivia game in the U.S. to the #10 game, and it's fallen from the #44 overall game to #196 over the course of the past few months.

Introducing an Apple TV app has the potential to increase the app's popularity once again, giving it a way to stand out from other trivia app clones that have popped up.

HQ Trivia can be downloaded from the App Store on the Apple TV starting today. It's also available from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: HQ Trivia Expands to Apple TV

2. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

4. MR-LIZARD macrumors member

I’m not surprised. I like the game, the presenters, and its format, but the prize pot is getting stretched so much that it’s not worth the time investment. I don’t know how they can fix that either.

In the UK the normal prize is £1,000 a show. The most recent ones have been split by ~300 people and so the prize has been ~£3.33 per person! It’s cringey when the presenter is excited about it at the end and lists off a few names and their prize.

The Sunday UK show has an £8,000 prize but the most recent one had ~200 winners and so the prize per person was ~£40 per person. Not bad, but not amazing.

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

i stopped playing because i got sick of waiting two minutes before the show starts and another 2 minutes while the host rambles on. just remind me 30 seconds before the first question starts and i'm goooood

6. TaviDuprix macrumors member

TaviDuprix

The money isn't that big of incentive in my opinion. I just like trivia and the bragging rights when I win (3x to date). However, they could make it one winner takes all more frequently if there are enough people out there like yourself who are only interested in the money aspect.

7. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

Who is the current CEO of Apple inc.
    a) Jonathan Microsoftseed
    b) REO Speedewagon
    c) Tim Jobs
    d) Hillary Trumpz

the answer to this question and that trivia machine's is always "C"
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2018 ---
    huh, the one in Madison Wi near the Kolh center?
    birthday humans drink FREE all day there.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

At least when I played (I haven't since New Years), there were always only 3 options per question.

TV is definitely where this game belongs. When I did play it, I'd use AirPlay to stream it to my TV. With a dedicated Apple TV App, there's some slight chance that I might start playing again. Apple TV has a wired connection... should fix my biggest gripe about HQ which is how regularly there'd be a bit of lag that would result in me getting booted from the game.

9. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Let’s get this show on the road. Q-mero, numero Uno!

They really did score well with Scott. He’s a great host for this show.

10. TaviDuprix macrumors member

TaviDuprix

There are three answers still. Poor execution on the prior posters part. Also, app updates have resolved the lag issues for some time. Even on the slowest of connections I don't get booted.

11. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I can't read this without completing the line from Nacho Libre...

"Tell me... Who is this Encarnacion?"

12. midkay macrumors regular

13. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

Q-mero numero uno

From the city that never sleeps, Walla Walla Washington

14. dtrj787 macrumors regular

dtrj787

There is no way the Apple TV remote is the best method here. Swipes and clicks are going to for sure, make you pick the wrong choice.

15. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

you would have picked b) red weedwagin

16. chrisduk macrumors member

17. DocPenguin macrumors member

DocPenguin

I had long since forgotten that this game was still going on until this post.

Pathetic prizes, cringe-worthy hosts, and bugs, bugs everywhere. The game lost it's appeal rather quickly.

18. mrbrown macrumors 6502a

I'm getting tired of Scott... I know when he's hosting because I can always read a book to my kid at bedtime (8pm central) and still get into the game by the time I'm done at 8:10 when he's still rambling on.

Versus the other hosts that usually start within 2 minutes.

19. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Pathetic prizes? Just recently the jackpot was 400 grand and the winners walked with like 8900 apiece

20. adamjackson macrumors 68000

How are they giving away prize money? Ads, user data selling off?

21. Expobill, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

Expobill Suspended

Expobill

more apple trivia

Q: According to Bailey the apple store tech with the lip ring that is shaped like a disco ball,
    what was the most popular reason for exchanging those new but defective macbook Pro in 2018 so far?

a) excessive fan noise while unpacking the sealed box upon opening the MBP for the first time
    b) excessive cockroaches and locus swarming while opening the lid
    c) throttling
    d) not spaced grey enough for most people aesthetic taste

no cheating!

22. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

23. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

i left mine back in madison wi, kinda useless and not shinny enough for lil 'ol me!

24. TaviDuprix macrumors member

TaviDuprix

Flaky how? Lots of generic bitching on these boards of late with no real details.

25. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

It's a good game, but the glitches drove me away. IDK if they've been fixed since then.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2018 ---
    The lag seemed to be on their end. I got booted all the time while using a very stable wifi connection.