Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular iPhone trivia game HQ Trivia has expanded to the Apple TV as of today, the company announced on Twitter.

The new Apple TV version of the app allows Apple TV owners to play the twice-daily trivia game on the big screen, which is ideal for playing in a group. Games take place at 3:00 p.m. ET and 9:00 p.m. ET.

hqtrivia-800x450.jpg

With HQ Trivia, each game has a prize pot that is distributed to all participating winners. Games take place twice daily and include an assortment of trivia questions. Participants have just seconds to answer when a question is asked, cutting down on the potential for cheating.

On the Apple TV, players can use the Apple TV remote to choose and submit their answers.

As TechCrunch points out, the new HQ Trivia Apple TV app comes as interest in the game is waning. Based on App Annie rankings, HQ Trivia on iOS has dropped from the #1 trivia game in the U.S. to the #10 game, and it's fallen from the #44 overall game to #196 over the course of the past few months.

Introducing an Apple TV app has the potential to increase the app's popularity once again, giving it a way to stand out from other trivia app clones that have popped up.

HQ Trivia can be downloaded from the App Store on the Apple TV starting today. It's also available from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: HQ Trivia Expands to Apple TV

MR-LIZARD

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
UK
As TechCrunch points out, the new HQ Trivia Apple TV app comes as interest in the game is waning. Based on App Annie rankings, HQ Trivia on iOS has dropped from the #1 trivia game in the U.S. to the #10 game, and it's fallen from the #44 overall game to #196 over the course of the past few months.

I’m not surprised. I like the game, the presenters, and its format, but the prize pot is getting stretched so much that it’s not worth the time investment. I don’t know how they can fix that either.

In the UK the normal prize is £1,000 a show. The most recent ones have been split by ~300 people and so the prize has been ~£3.33 per person! It’s cringey when the presenter is excited about it at the end and lists off a few names and their prize.

The Sunday UK show has an £8,000 prize but the most recent one had ~200 winners and so the prize per person was ~£40 per person. Not bad, but not amazing.

Reactions: macwant
Comment

TaviDuprix

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Tennessee
I’m not surprised. I like the game, the presenters, and its format, but the prize pot is getting stretched so much that it’s not worth the time investment. I don’t know how they can fix that either.

In the UK the normal prize is £1,000 a show. The most recent ones have been split by ~300 people and so the prize has been ~£3.33 per person! It’s cringey when the presenter is excited about it at the end and lists off a few names and their prize.

The Sunday UK show has an £8,000 prize but the most recent one had ~200 winners and so the prize per person was ~£40 per person. Not bad, but not amazing.

The money isn't that big of incentive in my opinion. I just like trivia and the bragging rights when I win (3x to date). However, they could make it one winner takes all more frequently if there are enough people out there like yourself who are only interested in the money aspect.

Comment

MtLoin2020

macrumors 68030
May 30, 2018
sunny florida
Who is the current CEO of Apple inc.
a) Jonathan Microsoftseed
b) REO Speedewagon
c) Tim Jobs
d) Hillary Trumpz

the answer to this question and that trivia machine's is always "C"
[doublepost=1534274902][/doublepost]
Let's get down to the nitty-gritty
huh, the one in Madison Wi near the Kolh center?
birthday humans drink FREE all day there.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Who is the current CEO of Apple inc.
a) Jonathan Microsoftseed
b) REO Speedewagon
c) Tim Jobs
d) Hillary Trumpz

At least when I played (I haven't since New Years), there were always only 3 options per question.

TV is definitely where this game belongs. When I did play it, I'd use AirPlay to stream it to my TV. With a dedicated Apple TV App, there's some slight chance that I might start playing again. Apple TV has a wired connection... should fix my biggest gripe about HQ which is how regularly there'd be a bit of lag that would result in me getting booted from the game.

Comment

TaviDuprix

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Tennessee
At least when I played (I haven't since New Years), there were always only 3 options per question.

TV is definitely where this game belongs. When I did play it, I'd use AirPlay to stream it to my TV. With a dedicated Apple TV App, there's some slight chance that I might start playing again. Apple TV has a wired connection... should fix my biggest gripe about HQ which is how regularly there'd be a bit of lag that would result in me getting booted from the game.

There are three answers still. Poor execution on the prior posters part. Also, app updates have resolved the lag issues for some time. Even on the slowest of connections I don't get booted.

Comment

MtLoin2020

macrumors 68030
May 30, 2018
sunny florida

you would have picked b) red weedwagin

Comment

DocPenguin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
I had long since forgotten that this game was still going on until this post.

Pathetic prizes, cringe-worthy hosts, and bugs, bugs everywhere. The game lost it's appeal rather quickly.

Comment

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Ozark, Missouri
I'm getting tired of Scott... I know when he's hosting because I can always read a book to my kid at bedtime (8pm central) and still get into the game by the time I'm done at 8:10 when he's still rambling on.

Versus the other hosts that usually start within 2 minutes.

Comment

MtLoin2020

macrumors 68030
May 30, 2018
sunny florida
more apple trivia

Q: According to Bailey the apple store tech with the lip ring that is shaped like a disco ball,
what was the most popular reason for exchanging those new but defective macbook Pro in 2018 so far?

a) excessive fan noise while unpacking the sealed box upon opening the MBP for the first time
b) excessive cockroaches and locus swarming while opening the lid
c) throttling
d) not spaced grey enough for most people aesthetic taste

no cheating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's a good game, but the glitches drove me away. IDK if they've been fixed since then.
[doublepost=1534304802][/doublepost]

The lag seemed to be on their end. I got booted all the time while using a very stable wifi connection.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.