HSDPA Coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kauai, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Kauai, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

Kauai macrumors 6502a

Is there anywhere I can check HSDPA coverage?

I'm considering getting onto a family members plan (I'm on Sprint) on AT&T for the faster data speeds, - but it wouldn't really matter if we don't even have them here.

2. shadrap macrumors 6502

If you go to their site. It is the darkest blue under the 4G. Very small coverage area, but if you are in a city with it, it would be great.

None for Sprint.

3. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    It's possible, sometime down the line, that a future iPhone will use Sprint's proprietary WIMAX, as well as the more standard LTE, both considered marketing-wise 4G though neither is an actual 4G standard. AT&T does consider HSDPA to be 4G though.

4. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that. Read my question "from Sprint".

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Sprint iPhone can only go up to 3.1Mbps on its CDMA network. It cannot use Sprint's WiMax network or AT&T's HSPDA/HSPA+ network.

6. mrxak macrumors 68000

Sounds like you're getting a family plan offered by Sprint. That's how I read it, anyway. Did you mean moving to an AT&T plan and away from Sprint? If that's the case, you can find a coverage map on AT&T's website and look for what they're calling 4G.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I couldn't really understand your question either. Perhaps you can reclarify.

8. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Indeed. I'll reword it. And we don't have it.

Alright then, my second question for you all:

My second thought was that, since I still have my AT&T iPhone 4 - do you guys think it would be smart to switch to AT&T again with my iPhone 4 and wait it out for the iPhone 5?

Yes, I know how it's always going to be "wait for the 5...6...7" but I really care about faster data speeds more than anything. Even if the iPhone 5 doesn't have LTE (or at least HSPA+) AT&T will at least probably have HSDPA in more places.

9. mrxak macrumors 68000

It won't be an iPhone 5. It'll be the sixth iPhone, so iPhone 6.

And if you have a 4 now, I'd really just wait for the 6 (the next one). Almost everybody will be happy just getting every other phone. Only the most obsessive need to have the very latest each iteration. I for one am upgrading to the 4S from the 3G, but in the future I expect I'll be sticking to S-phones, getting the new one every two years. If I had a 4 already, I would just wait.

10. mateen110 macrumors regular