HSPA+ Indicator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by allmanbrother, Oct 23, 2011.

1. allmanbrother macrumors member

I'm sure it's already been suggested, but I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as well. With faster AT&T data speeds being a talking point of the last keynote and with AT&T stating "See why your new iPhone 4S and AT&T's 4G network are a winning combination", I'd like to see some sort of status bar indication of when I'm on "4G". I'm not going to argue whether or not this is 3.5G or 4G. I don't care. Just a simple "plus" next to the 3G icon in 5.0.1/5.1 would suffice.

2. carbonfly macrumors regular

I thought that there was a rumor that AT&T was trying to get Apple to do this.

3. allmanbrother thread starter macrumors member

AT&T is trying to have "4G" put in the menu bar. I think with Apple staying out of the "4G" branding battle, this is pretty unlikely.

4. Captain America macrumors 6502

I hope so, because IMO the only types of network deserving of the "4G" label are LTE and WiMax. HSPA+ can be a bit faster, but as it isn't always true, I don't like the idea of it.

5. carbonfly macrumors regular

I know it doesn't make much of a difference but it would be nice to know when you are in an area with HSPA+. Maybe a "3G+" icon or something instead of a "4G".

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

They could really just put a H+ indicator so you see that in HSPA+ areas, and then it switches to 3G in areas where is no HSPA+,

8. allmanbrother thread starter macrumors member

I used to have a Samsung Impression (worst phone I have ever owned) and when I was in an HSPA+ area, it added a "+" to the corner of the 3G icon. Something similar to that would be nice and wouldn't cause a major "4G" battle.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Only thing is that some people might find 3G and 3G+ to be confusing. Just my opinion though.

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

ATT Android phones only show H+. They never differentiate 3G or H+, regardless of what kind of network you really are on.

AT&T rigged those phones. Hope they don't do the same on the iPhone.

Or 7/2G ;)

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What's confusing is AT&T advertising the iPhone 4S as a 4G phone and Apple putting 3G at the top.

13. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I think T-Mobile has devices that display an "H+" in HSPA+ areas.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

They may as well call it 4G. You may get geeks complaining about the intricacies of mobile network technology, but at the end of the day it's only a name. It makes sense to just go with the general consensus and make things easier on the average consumer.

15. allmanbrother thread starter macrumors member

I think it would be easier though for the average consumer to see a plus and think "well, I guess I'm getting faster data speeds right now since there's a plus next to the 3G". I just think that saying "4G" would cause a lot of consumer confusion.

16. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That's very much a good idea, and I think some Nokia device do that on AT&T's network currently. (Although I'm not sure if it stands for HSPA or HSPA+, I'm thinking it HSPA as it was a few years back that I had a Nokia)

18. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Either is reasonable. We all know 4>3, so there really would be no more confusion than adding a plus.

19. DarbCU macrumors newbie

20. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

What's even more confusing is the little "E" symbol I see more and more while at home. What's that, 1/4 G?

21. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If you call GPRS 2G, then Edge is 2.5G, then 3G is 3G obviously. Then no data network at all would be 1G, which is purely voice and text.

22. antman2295 macrumors 6502

^ This, but I never knew what the + was for, I guess I know now!

23. macinnv macrumors regular

My T-Mobile phone has an H when you are in an HSPA+ area, if Apple doesnt want to use 4G, then they should at least do this.

24. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

25. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Actually it doesn't matter since the air interface on all HSPA sites has been upgraded to HSPA+.