HSPA+ or LTE?

plathunter

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
I have the AT&T 4G model. I have not added the data plan yet but mine says 4G but according to AT&T's map I am in the LTE data network. Should it be showing LTE or does it only show it after I add the data plan?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I have the AT&T 4G model. I have not added the data plan yet but mine says 4G but according to AT&T's map I am in the LTE data network. Should it be showing LTE or does it only show it after I add the data plan?
I'm in the same boat. I'm leery about buying the data plan if I am not getting LTE.

I called AT&T and they were of no help.
He said 4G is LTE and LTE is in my area.
Waiting for more info here before I get the data plan.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
If you are on the LTE network it will say "LTE" in the corner. If you drop back to HSPA+ it will switch to "4G" and if you drop back to HSPA it will switch the indicator to "3G"

vphung

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Yes. It says LTE when you are in an LTE area. Like mine does right now.
Did you have to activate it to see the LTE or was LTE showing when you first turned on the iPad without activating the cellular data services?

nabechu

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
Did you have to activate it to see the LTE or was LTE showing when you first turned on the iPad without activating the cellular data services?
You have to activate a data plan for the LTE to show up, it'll only say 3g or 4g w/o a plan

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
AT&T needs to call HSPA+ H+ and LTE LTE. That is the correct terms. My iPad said 4G when it was in my iPad and I know we do not have 4G.

vphung

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks! That helps a lot to clarify my worries since I'm in an LTE area but only see 4g shown. I have not activated data yet.