HTC DROID ERIS "Don't hold it that way" restriction (Gruber)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 8CoreWhore, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

2. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

and yet Apple decided to put theirs in a location that is probably one of the most commonly obscured parts of the phone.

3. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The point is, for reasonable people, that these are complicated and all have restrictions.

And yet you refuse to return the horrible phone that doesn't work and continually upsets you to delirium. :rolleyes:

4. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Never said I was upset with the phone. Mine works, but I know a lot of people's don't.

Besides, the attitude Apple is displaying is arrogance. Look up the splitting self defense mechanism.

5. ebepipermaru macrumors newbie

ebepipermaru

Why does this crap continue?

And you think Apple is displaying arrogance. For my money, arrogance is best represented by those trying to make something, out of very little, at Apple's expense. What hypocritical, subjective, self serving crap!

Personally, I'm extremely tired of the lack of objective and constructive observations I've endured reading this board of late.

And so it goes...

6. solarein macrumors regular

And yet, here you are, still reading and posting on this board.

Sort of like the people who complain about the iPhone 4's issues yet still use it, isn't it?

7. sorchard macrumors regular

"Here's the antenna, don't touch it" has been standard in manuals for phones from many manufacturers for years. It doesn't back up Jobs' half truth "all phones are the same". I am not sure why the fanboys are trying to use it to back up his point.

As has been said before, the antennas on other phones are not unprotected and put in a place where it will probably touch it with your hand while holding it normally.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said !

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The fanboys are simply following their leader.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Actually - the point is

HTC has documented the phones limitations and is taking responsibility for it.

Apple's first response was huh? what issue? there's no issue?

Does Apple's manual have anything in it which explains what areas get hot and/or where not to place your hand to make a call?

If it does - forgive me. But if it doesn't - I hope those that are arguing the point that all smart phones have this problem can at least see that one company is being ACCOUNTABLE and another is not

11. solarein macrumors regular

Apple doesn't mention anything like this in their manual for the iPhone 4, simply because they can't. The mistake they made is that the antenna is located in a place that you can't help but touch when you hold the phone. Thus, unlike other phones, a warning not to touch the antenna on the iPhone 4 is impossible.

12. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

13. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The main difference is in the location of the antenna. The Eris' antenna is in a place where most users won't grip it. The iPhone's isn't. Pointing out another's flaws doesn't make yours any better, yet that's the approach that Apple is rolling with. More power to them.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

I just checked - Apple makes no mention of anything regarding avoiding RF interference and where to hold the phone.

They could have avoided much of the hoopla by sneaking that in there before launch and then just indicating THAT at the press conference claiming that, like with other cell phones, they documented it.

But they'd rather appear superior (so much for transparency). Much like the bar "formula" - they do things behind closed doors to give the illusion that their phones have better qualities in some areas than other phones so they can position themselves as the best.

It's great "marketing" - but when it blows up - as it has - it exposes the issue even more

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Actually, that is not true and you should speak for your self and not "most users."

The picture from the ERIS model shows to NOT touch the phone exactly where I touch my iPhone when on a call.

I hold my phone in my left hand with my thumb on the left, my middle finger, ring finger and pinky on the right, and my index finger where the apple logo is on the back of the phone. This is how I have always held a cell phone, no matter the make or model.

[​IMG]

There is the picture from the ERIS manual, and right where they say NOT to put your fingers is where my index finger would be while on any phone call.

Different strokes for different folks.

And I do believe Apple DID man up by holding a press conference about the issue AND offering free cases. No other phone maker has done that to my knowledge. Would Google offer me a free one since I hold my phone right where they say not to?

But hey, if it ain't good enough, like Steve said, return it.

16. solarein macrumors regular

You can put your finger there and it would not be a problem.

Watch the video of the Droid Eris signal attenuation. It's only a problem if you more or less cover up the entire area in the dotted line with your hand.

17. buc macrumors member

Honestly i don't know how anyone would call the "death grip" the normal way to hold a phone (unless they had an agenda).

I literally have to crank my hand at a 90 degree angle to my forearm to use the death grip while on a call. All the haters call it the natural way to hold the phone....pure BS.

18. solarein macrumors regular

Some people use their left hand to hold their phones.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

That is fine.

My point wasn't really to discredit this phone as I have never even seen it and love Google and use Google for everything on the Internet it seems like.

My point was, that Apple DID address it and that not every body holds the phone the same way.

The "death grip" method, or the one show on most of these videos where it is totally in your hand and your palm covers the whole left side of the phone is actually VERY uncomfortable to me. Not sure why anyone would even hold their phone like that to be honest.

But I do understand that different strokes for different folks applies to how you hold a phone too. ;)

20. samcraig macrumors P6

a) the use of the word haters is overused. Just because people critique something doesn't make them haters. In fact - I would bet the majority of people on here lodging complaints are definitely NOT haters but people who are frustrated.

b) None of my friends have ever been to the North Pole - but that doesn't mean I think it doesn't exist.

21. buc macrumors member

ya. like me.

22. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I use my left hand.

Never seen the signal issue because I hold the phone different than most folks I guess.

The bottom line to me is, either get a case or take the phone back if the way you hold it makes the bars drop. Just know, that every phone has this limitation even if with a different grip.

So you can get a free case to compensate for your grip on the iPhone 4, or, you can return it for a full refund and get a different phone to compensate for your grip.

23. solarein macrumors regular

The point is that on the iPhone 4, it's far too easy to do it. It's almost unavoidable to touch the weak spot if you are holding it in your left hand.

24. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, I don't touch that part with the grip I use.

But I get that.

And like I said, they are offering free cases or full refunds. Not sure what else you want Apple to do at this point.

25. solarein macrumors regular

This is how I and many other people hold phones in our left hands. You must do something different.

Attached Files: