HTC EVO 4G Phone and iPad Tether?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Alchematron, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

[​IMG]

Anyone thinking of tethering to the Sprint HTC EVO 4G?

Due June 6th

And the phone does Flash

HTC EVO 4G Press Release
    http://www.htc.com/us/press/worlds-...coming-this-summer-exclusively-from-sprint/12

With built-in mobile hotspot functionality, HTC EVO 4G allows up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 4G experience. Users can easily share an Internet connection on the go with a laptop, camera, music player, game unit, video player, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device.

Website
    http://now.sprint.com/evo

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Actually I'm very interested in this phone. My AT&T contract is up in Sept. We are all so sick and tired with AT&T's sorry service I will probably take my entire family account back to Sprint. This looks like a great phone to use as a companion with your iPad.

3. Nash Bridges macrumors regular

Nash Bridges

Question: Can you still talk on the phone when it is being used as a WiFi hotspot?

4. gabriel925fm macrumors member

You can if the phone is using 4G. But remember that Sprint 4G service is not available everywhere. So if the only data service you have with sprint is 3G you wont be avail.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

by that he means in 11 unpopulated cities mostly in texas. and not even the whole city

6. Cander macrumors 6502

They said they were testing using data and voice at the same time by having calls go through CDMA and data through EVDO. But there hasn't been any final word on it as of yet.

I have considered the HTC Evo 4G, but I am really wary about coverage here. When I was with Sprint years ago, the voice coverage sucked. Even in places I supposedly had coverage, I would have no bars. Been trying to find someone who knows anyone with Sprint here in Macon, GA to tell me how their voice and data service is currently. Everyone I know uses Verizon and AT&T. I do have one friend with Sprint, but he is voice only. Data is my major concern.

7. dougb256 macrumors member

Same here. I can't believe that ATT & Apple haven't figured out a tethering plan yet, so I'll jump on this EVO when my plan is up in August. I can either sell my iPhone 3G or keep it for the audio industry apps that I use.

8. h3nG macrumors member

I can't wait for this phone and 4g tethering!

9. pkdoyle macrumors member

So where exactly did you get June 6th other than it's D-Day?
    All I have seen on Sprint's website or the HTC press release is references to "this summer".

10. aaron580 macrumors member

Its more like june 13 when it will ve released. Im going to get this phone on the day it comes out and hppe its a bit faster with tethering than my tp2

11. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

According to information leaking out of Sprint, the smartphone could launch either June 6 or June 13. Both dates land on a Sunday, which is typically when the carrier launches new models.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.a...d+OS+2.1+HTC+EVO+4G+Release+Date+WiMAX+Sprint

12. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I plan to wait and see how the new iPhone compares to the EVO

Apple knows they are going to have to deliver the goods!

I love Apple but the day of reckoning is upon us

4G speed?

Mobile hot spot?

Flash?

HDTV connectivity?

Voice text?

C'mon Apple, bring it on home and I will surely give you my money ;)

13. pkdoyle macrumors member

Alchematron, from your lips to Steve's ears! I do so hope it can be a Mobile hot spot. Well, I guess what I am really saying is that I hope ATT will support this - otherwise EVO here I come.

14. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

15. Nexus4144 macrumors member

Hey!! Unpopulated lol!!! Sprint has 4g in Vegas and it covers all of it! unpopulated, i think not! :D

16. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Sprint currently offers 4G service in 27 markets, including Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland, Ore., San Antonio and Seattle.

Following is a comprehensive list of markets by state where Sprint 4G is currently offered: Georgia – Atlanta, Milledgeville; Hawaii – Honolulu, Maui; Idaho – Boise; Illinois – Chicago; Maryland – Baltimore; Nevada – Las Vegas; North Carolina – Charlotte, Greensboro, (along with High Point and Winston-Salem), Raleigh (along with Cary, Chapel Hill and Durham); Oregon – Portland, Salem; Pennsylvania – Philadelphia; Texas – Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, San Antonio, Waco, Wichita Falls; Washington – Bellingham, Seattle.

For more information, visit www.sprint.com/4G

17. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

The Evo 4G looks like an awesome phone. Though it can be tethered, I don't think I would get one just for that purpose. And I sure would not consider it a replacment for my iPhone 3GS (or iPhone 4G when that happens).

I am enjoying the use of the Sprint 4G Overdrive palm-sized battery-driven WiFi hotspot. It supports up to five devices. For our family, when we hit the road, it services two iPads and two MacBook Pros. And if there is poor AT&T 3G service (as there often is), the iPhone 3GS can use it as well.

18. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

iPhone 4G?

Prepare for liftoff

3G/4G capable
    4.3" display
    1GHz processor
    Mobile Hotspot capable
    Flash capable
    HDTV connectivity
    8MP camera
    Front facing video camera
    FM radio
    12 hour battery life
    Titanium

[​IMG]

19. wrxdrunkie macrumors member

I currently plan on getting this phone, it will be great to use with my ipad, airvideo and jump desktop.

Also the amazing camera and hdmi out is a huge plus. I will get an iphone if they release one with 4g, but otherwise I will get this for a while use it with my ipad and get the iphone when it goes 4g.

The only thing that I think I might hate about this phone is that freaking auto text resize that htc has. It drives me crazy, just zoom in the like the iphone/pre.

20. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

WOW!! First time ive seen that!!

Im one of those who's contract is up in July with AT&T and if the new iPhone doesn't "bring it", I'm moving on. I hate to do it but the Mobile Hotspot feature is definitely something I'm after. I would be able to ditch my AT&T USB card and avoid having to buy a 3G iPad. I'd always have my phone with me so it's not like I would be carrying around an extra device. Plus I would save $60 by getting rid of the USB card.

For those hoping for tethering/hotspot on the new iPhone, I wouldn't hold your breath. Do you think AT&T wants to loose out on all those iPad 3G data plans? Of course not!

21. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I was going to stick with a wifi only ipad and get go with sprints 4g service or verizon 3g service ( there mobile broadband only service that uses those mifi/overdrive devices )

I am in the chicago area, which has full 4G coverage, but every last review i read about 4G says it is slower then 3G, the ONLY benefit 4G was having ober 3G is that sprint allows UNLIMITED USE while on 4G, but once it goes to 3G, you have a 5gb cap each month.

People where stating all over that they would sit in 1 spot that had 4G and in would switch to 3G out of know where ( which was using there 5gb of data )

and all speed tests show that 4G once again, was slower then 3G

So people, do NOT get all excited about the 4G thing, in most places where it IS available its slower then 3G! So whats the point?

22. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I bolded a few things you might want to correct to make your post credible.

23. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Way to add to the thread Forum Sheriff! Your pointless post is no better than anyones poor typing.. Get over it. Im sick of people being jerks any chance they get around here.

24. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron