Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
so how much do yo pay for Hero? I actually like it.

well you can buy HTC hero for £400 on ebay and so far i am really happy with HTC hero and honestly I am so bored with iPhone and its apps nothing else you can do with.. and HTC is everything works fine.. and its multitasking works perfect .. battery life much better then iphone 3gs. HTC hero HSPDA on orange perfect which is faster then 3G connection on o2..

UI is great all pinch zoom in out multi gestures like iphone on HTC hero and just the design is different and i would say its a killer for iPhone and I'm sure here the fight start between both handset in 2009 and 2010 ...

check the link to see the UI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTDSfbcbBU&feature=player_embedded

sorchard

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
That coverage isn't great considering the size of the country and O2 I swear use to have better coverage (use to live in the UK). On the O2 pic I am pretty sure its half and half within england.

Their GSM coverage is often considered better (since like Vodafone they are older and use 900MHz), however their 3G coverage is dire. They are the only network to get an official ticking off by OFCOM (FCC equivalent) for their lackluster attempt to meet the coverage requirements in their licence.

3/T-Mobile/Orange seem to be way ahead.

Knightsiphone

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Philly USA
Better looking than the pre!

A guy I work with purchased a pre. I had the chance to play around with it for a bit. As a novelty it was really cool but not for a day to day device. Too small, the keyboard was just annoying. Although I actually like the WebOS ability to multitask. All in all 2 out of 5 meh's

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
This thing is only coming to T-Mobile in the US isn't it? I would like either this or the Pre as a second phone to my iPhone but not to crazy about paying two carriers.

Although: I suppose it might be available unlocked from HTC directly.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
This thing is only coming to T-Mobile in the US isn't it? I would like either this or the Pre as a second phone to my iPhone but not to crazy about paying two carriers.

Although: I suppose it might be available unlocked from HTC directly.

t-mobile said it has no plans to offer the hero in the US

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I'm not sure if this is just me but it feels like that the Hero's screen is too small to do multi-tasking on. I just saw a review of it where he used the multi-tasking feature and it just seemed so crammed and tight because of that huge favourite bar to the right of the screen. It's catching up with the iPhone but it's not there just yet.

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
I'm not sure if this is just me but it feels like that the Hero's screen is too small to do multi-tasking on. I just saw a review of it where he used the multi-tasking feature and it just seemed so crammed and tight because of that huge favourite bar to the right of the screen. It's catching up with the iPhone but it's not there just yet.

the UI is brilliant i wish if apple handset can take Android OS lol... i doubt

did some compare

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2826&idPhone1=2861

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The Hero/Sense UI is great but to be honest i'd probably still take Pre/webOS over it...especially now that there's a higher capacity battery for it

caf9128

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
I'm holding out for a Hero here in the U.S. I think the phone looks really nice--people complaining about the fact that the phone actually has some shape other than resembling a deck of cards are just whining out of fanboyism--heck, most every phone since the first one designed by Alexander Graham Bell has had a shape that brings the mouthpiece closer to the user--I think it's more normal than a plain rectangle.

Anyway, my wife has a G1. Although the apps are smaller in number on the Android platform, I've found that there are a lot of really, really good free apps, while the Apple apps that are free are mostly junk. So I'm planning on jumping to the Android platform as soon as I can get hold of a Hero, or the equivalent.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
I'm holding out for a Hero here in the U.S. I think the phone looks really nice--people complaining about the fact that the phone actually has some shape other than resembling a deck of cards are just whining out of fanboyism--heck, most every phone since the first one designed by Alexander Graham Bell has had a shape that brings the mouthpiece closer to the user--I think it's more normal than a plain rectangle.

completely disagree with this. why would it be fanboyism? i'd say mobile/cell phones that don't have a "shape" to them are more common than those that do. nokia's, bb's, samsung's, sony ericsson's, LG's... other than the flip phones (which are flat when closed) how many have they made that DO have a "shape" to them?

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
completely disagree with this. why would it be fanboyism? i'd say mobile/cell phones that don't have a "shape" to them are more common than those that do. nokia's, bb's, samsung's, sony ericsson's, LG's... other than the flip phones (which are flat when closed) how many have they made that DO have a "shape" to them?

what are you talking about? WTF is a 'shape'

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
@jayenh
Ah... I understand now.

HTC said that it the chins on their Android phones have nothing to do with it being better for call quality or any other bs like that.

When you look around, almost all phones have a basic slab design. Think of some of the top smartphones: all the pro HTC devices, all the black berry's, iPhone, nokia's phones, they all are just s simple slab design.

HTC has put the chins on the Android phones to make it stand out in the market, similar to what palm did with a fresh design on the pre.

I don't think that its fanboyism for someone not to like the chin.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I think that the Hero is good 'n' all, but I don't think that it's convincing me to cancel my order for iPhone just yet. And because I live in the UK I do have the choice, but there aren't that many things that stick out to me. I don't really care about multi-tasking or Twitter or anything so there isn't much point.

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
its not ugly, its just odd looking :cool:

have look at this ?

Samsung I7500 Galaxy at a glance:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i7500-review-351.php

* General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps
* OS and CPU: 528MHz CPU with 128MB RAM running latest Android OS v1.5
* Form factor: Touchscreen bar, no keypad
* Dimensions: 115.0 x 56.0 x 11.9 mm, 119 g.
* Display: 3.2" capacitive OLED touchscreen, HVGA resolution (320 x 480 pixels)
* Storage: 8GB, hot-swappable microSD card slot (up to 16GB)
* Camera: 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash and geotagging
* Connectivity: Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, microUSB v.2.0, 3.5mm audio jack
* Misc: Accelerometer sensor, Gesture lock
* Battery: 1440 mAh battery

/b/

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Could you please post more details/usage of your battery life on the Hero, I would like to know. How much better is it compared to the iPhone 3GS in terms of the battery life ?
I'm liking this phone very much, especially the built quality which is similar to the Nokia E71. Just amazing for today's standard, compared to other phones on the market.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I am just like you right now. I am soooOOOOoo bored with iphone, it's not even funny.

Are you SERIOUS?????????? I download like ten new Apps every day. I never get bored. If I get bored, I download new Apps. Does the HTC, Blackberry, Pre, and other app stores have the TEN BILLION PLUS Apps that the iPhone has? Heck no! Plus, there are about fifteen iPhone Apps that I use every day and rely on regularly. That is a VERY good reason that I would not trade in my iPhone for an htc. When you find a really good iPhone App, it cannot be replaced!

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Are you SERIOUS?????????? I download like ten new Apps every day. I never get bored. If I get bored, I download new Apps. Does the HTC, Blackberry, Pre, and other app stores have the TEN BILLION PLUS Apps that the iPhone has? Heck no! Plus, there are about fifteen iPhone Apps that I use every day and rely on regularly. That is a VERY good reason that I would not trade in my iPhone for an htc. When you find a really good iPhone App, it cannot be replaced!

I am using HTC hero and they call the app store called market.. :) but honestly i found most of the apps are in apple app store which used mostly and there are 1000's of apps there..... i would say give it few more months you will see how google and apple will fight...the competition

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

There are a few apps I have found FAR more valuable on the Android Marketplace than on the App Store (thanks to the way the Os works)

AND FTP
I have full access to my FTP space on my phone. I can upload/download documents, pictures and anything I like straight from my handset with full filesystem access to all my content. (You couldn't pull MP3's off of your FTP over the air into your iPod player on your iPhone for example as it has to be synced via iTunes)

Gamboid, Gensoid, NESoid emulators.
Great emulators to play Genesis, Gameboy and NES games on Android, all from the less restrictive marketplace. Emulators are banned from the App store.

Last.FM on Android
Thanks to the ability to multitask I can now stream music via last.fm and still do other things. This isn't even an option on the iPhone. Lets say your listening to your customised radio on your iPhone but you get a text. Prepare to stop listening to your music to reply to it.

Scrobble Droid
Real-time scrobbling of tracks to my last.fm account - lovely!

These are a few apps and I'm finding really useful stuff on the marketplace. You can customise the device with differnet SMS, mail apps other than using all the default stuff all the time.

I'll never put down Apples app store as it has done so much to the mobile industry. It has really made other manufacturers get their fingers out of their arses and centralised app and games into a single source which has made it far easier for the end user to get content.

The only thing that does piss me off is useless **** like iFart.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

If Apple had put a matte back on the 3GS, or some other exterior modification, a lot if users would be lauding it as a revolutionary upgrade. It just doesn't make sense...

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
There are a few apps I have found FAR more valuable on the Android Marketplace than on the App Store (thanks to the way the Os works)

AND FTP
I have full access to my FTP space on my phone. I can upload/download documents, pictures and anything I like straight from my handset with full filesystem access to all my content. (You couldn't pull MP3's off of your FTP over the air into your iPod player on your iPhone for example as it has to be synced via iTunes)

Gamboid, Gensoid, NESoid emulators.
Great emulators to play Genesis, Gameboy and NES games on Android, all from the less restrictive marketplace. Emulators are banned from the App store.

Last.FM on Android
Thanks to the ability to multitask I can now stream music via last.fm and still do other things. This isn't even an option on the iPhone. Lets say your listening to your customised radio on your iPhone but you get a text. Prepare to stop listening to your music to reply to it.

Scrobble Droid
Real-time scrobbling of tracks to my last.fm account - lovely!

These are a few apps and I'm finding really useful stuff on the marketplace. You can customise the device with differnet SMS, mail apps other than using all the default stuff all the time.

I'll never put down Apples app store as it has done so much to the mobile industry. It has really made other manufacturers get their fingers out of their arses and centralised app and games into a single source which has made it far easier for the end user to get content.

The only thing that does piss me off is useless **** like iFart.

you spot on mate.

also you can remove Orange software logo from htc hero if you re install the OS.. google it you will get info how o flash htc hero to make is unbranded..

its up to you... end of the day ...

I love HTC Hero and as you said multitasking and there is much more stuff u can do which iphone not allowed to do .. you can have even third party web browser opera etc.. so much stuff.. love it! dont get me wrong iphone is still good phone but the restriction are tooooooo much... paid so much money for iphone and cant get half of the stuff on iphone coz apple wont allow it.

iPhone is still in Burkhaa which most of the women wear in afghanistan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa

so iphone is also covering it self from us see pic

Attachments

• preityzinta-burkha.jpg
    preityzinta-burkha.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 63
  • burkha.jpg
    burkha.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 701
  • BurqaSnapshot.jpg
    BurqaSnapshot.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.