Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Could this be true! Sounds like a monster.
I really hope HTC will put a better camera in the next gen phones in 2015

HTC “Hima” Flagship Device Rumored to Sport Snapdragon 810, 5-Inch FHD Display, 20.7MP Camera

2015 is so close you can almost touch it. “It” being the CES mutant flu that will cover Las Vegas during a week of insanity and tech announcements. But outside of the deathly pre-zombie apocalypse we are so close to willfully walking into, 2015’s arrival also means that we are prepping for the wave of rumors of new flagships to arrive. First up, HTC and the “Hima!” According to steady HTC leaker @upleaks, HTC’s new flagship device won’t be the One (M9) after all; instead the device is codenamed “Hima” and will be even more powerful than the “M9″ device that rumors detailed earlier in the week.

If we are to take @upleaks for its word, we should expect the HTC Hima to sport a Snapdragon 810 processor (8-core, 64-bit), 3GB RAM, 5-inch FHD display (1080p), 20.7MP rear camera, 2,840mAh battery, and Android 5.0 underneath Sense 7.0. The device will also be ready for VoLTE and Cat.6 LTE, while having either a 13MP front camera or one built on HTC’s “UltraPixel” tech.

That sounds like smartphone heaven to me, assuming the camera on the back is no longer a massive gimmick and the phone isn’t awkwardly and unnecessarily tall. If it’s 20.7MP, that could mean a new Sony sensor, similar to what we have seen in the DROID Turbo and Xperia Z3 devices. Here’s to hoping HTC can make the camera amazing, something Motorola failed to do in the Turbo.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/04/htc-hima-one-m9/

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Could this be true! Sounds like a monster.
I really hope HTC will put a better camera in the next gen phones in 2015

HTC “Hima” Flagship Device Rumored to Sport Snapdragon 810, 5-Inch FHD Display, 20.7MP Camera

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/04/htc-hima-one-m9/

Doesn't sound too bad, but with all the Android flagships going with 2k screens now, isn't HTC going to be behind the curve with this one?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Doesn't sound too bad, but with all the Android flagships going with 2k screens now, isn't HTC going to be behind the curve with this one?

I don't think so. I don't think HTC needs the 2k screen to have a big hit. They already have design and a great user experience. They just need a better camera and a little cosmetic design changes. Sense is the best skin on a smartphone IMHO.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Hope they will release a mini/compact size phone too with same specs like Z3C
5''5, too big :mad:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hope they will release a mini/compact size phone too with same specs like Z3C
5''5, too big :mad:

I think it is supposed to 5 inches. but if you add the boom sound speakers...it might be a good size phone.

If we are to take @upleaks for its word, we should expect the HTC Hima to sport a Snapdragon 810 processor (8-core, 64-bit), 3GB RAM, 5-inch FHD display (1080p), 20.7MP rear camera, 2,840mAh battery, and Android 5.0 underneath Sense 7.0. The device will also be ready for VoLTE and Cat.6 LTE, while having either a 13MP front camera or one built on HTC’s “UltraPixel” tech.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Both the M7 and M8 were great phones with the exception of the camera. Hopefully HTC does away with this ultrapixel crap and puts in a decent 8-12 megapixel camera.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This sounds pretty awesome - combined with HTC's sense and their design from the previous One handsets, this could be a big winner.

I wish HTC got more pub than it does. They make some of the best devices out there - in my opinion THE BEST skinned Android devices period.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Sounds really nice. Would be hard for me to leave the S5 though, that water resistance built in is priceless as we're always out back by the pool or boat or whatever. The issue with root and flashing in the future turns me off from Sammy though now, I know Sony does but wish other makes would make their devices water resistant. I've even taken pics and video under water lol

They really need a better camera, when I used both side by side it was pretty easy to see the better difference with the S5 over the M8, great phone otherwise.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
If HTC puts the power button on the side and manages to include a full RGB LED I would purchase one as my next phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If they only had put a 20mp camera in the M8 it would have been perfect, thank goodness they are finally listening...

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I would like to see HTC follow Motorola in a way, and copy some of the Droid Turbo specs. Just make the One M9 screen a little bigger than the M8

- 5.2" QHD Display
- 3,900mAh MAXX battery

The only way a QHD Display is doable, is if you have a massive sized battery to power it all day long. Otherwise most phones with 2k displays have average battery life, nothing like what 1080p can get.

I still think 1080p is more than enough, my OnePlus One looks great, and even the mighty Apple is fine with just 1080p on their flagship 6 Plus. But in the Android world if the competition is doing it, you need to keep up, otherwise it will be labeled as outdated or lower end spec'd.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I would like to see HTC follow Motorola in a way, and copy some of the Droid Turbo specs. Just make the One M9 screen a little bigger than the M8

- 5.2" QHD Display
- 3,900mAh MAXX battery

The only way a QHD Display is doable, is if you have a massive sized battery to power it all day long. Otherwise most phones with 2k displays have average battery life, nothing like what 1080p can get.

I still think 1080p is more than enough, my OnePlus One looks great, and even the mighty Apple is fine with just 1080p on their flagship 6 Plus. But in the Android world if the competition is doing it, you need to keep up, otherwise it will be labeled as outdated or lower end spec'd.

Well 1080p is the standard for TVs at this point. Anything higher like 4K is 10 years off. Shooting videos and photos and having them look great on any other device is just common sense and the way to go. The higher resolutions are a gimmick IMHO and reminds me kinda of EVO 3D where you could only enjoy 3D photos and stuff on your one device.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
As long as there's no more UltraPixel...

It's a good phone if true, but... is it really that big of an upgrade from this years phone's?

I don't feel like it would be a worthy upgrade from my SGS5 or any other flagship from this year.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think so. I don't think HTC needs the 2k screen to have a big hit. They already have design and a great user experience. They just need a better camera and a little cosmetic design changes. Sense is the best skin on a smartphone IMHO.

Completely agree..nice to see a manufacturer with a bit of sense (yup, I went there ;)). In a 5" display, 1080 is more than enough and doesn't require a gargantuan battery to power it. As long as they don't botch up the camera experience as Moto's been doing, this sounds like as close to perfect as we've seen. Loved my M7, save for the atrocious camera. Really looking forward to seeing how much of this true.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Would have been interested, loved all my previous HTC's including the Droid DNA, but they weren't out with it in time to compete with the Turbo (which I couldn't be happier with) so I won't be getting this even tho the specs are exactly what I want in a phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Both the M7 and M8 were great phones with the exception of the camera. Hopefully HTC does away with this ultrapixel crap and puts in a decent 8-12 megapixel camera.

That the LCD panels weren't all that impressive. Very hazy, drab looking, and the contrast was terrible

Get a higher grade LCD screen, and fix the camera and HTC will have a winner

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My G3 screen is great but I'd quite happily have a 1080 screen + 3 hours extra battery life.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
1080p is great! No need for the QHD waste.

3GB is not good though. With 810, there should be 4GB RAM.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That the LCD panels weren't all that impressive. Very hazy, drab looking, and the contrast was terrible

Get a higher grade LCD screen, and fix the camera and HTC will have a winner

I think the screen on my M7 is great. No issues with it.

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
I'm still hoping for a 6+ inch M8, but if they do it with the M9 or whatever this is, which is in the rumor mill, I'm ok with that too.

SecITGuy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
I'm still hoping for a 6+ inch M8, but if they do it with the M9 or whatever this is, which is in the rumor mill, I'm ok with that too.
I think HTC will try to go the middle of the road for their next flagship smartphone. I don't see them going to a 6 screen size for their flagship phone. Maybe later for as separate model though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.