Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
ThEsE LoOk NoThiNg LiKe AiRpOdS

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 13.10.21.png

IMG_1450.jpeg

yojason

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
SoCal
Their customers are all going to find out at various times why Apple never released AirPods in any color other than white.

davidjytang

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
I'm Taiwanese and I gave up on this brand long ago when its founder, Cher Wang, announced that HTC was a Chinese brand.

The pattern of Wang has always been all about short term surges and busts. Whatever company she touches would not last long but her shareholders, if entering and exiting at right time, can make more compared to other tech companies in Taiwan.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Funny. Pretty sure many here, myself included, predicted that it's only a matter of time before the AirPod design that everyone was trashing at first would end up being copied by competitors. That being said, the AirPods Pro do have a much nicer in-ear profile than the original AirPods. Glad they reigned it in somewhat.

Reactions: KeithBN

Daum

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
Why are people copying Apple's terrible designs? Notch and Airpods? Ahhh, they're just trying to ride Apple's wave...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It wouldn't hurt you to acknowledge the similar antenna bands while still arguing the phones are substantially different. It's obvious that the antenna bands were the similarity they were alluding to.
I don’t think the antenna bands are similar at all. The HTC ones are much more subtle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why are people copying Apple's terrible designs? Notch and Airpods?

It’s just crazy how those ‘terrible designs’ blasted the market on fire in terms of wearables and biometric security with a notch, isn’t it? I mean, who would’ve thought that Apple practically owns both of those categories that you’re claiming is terrible, which we all know, average consumers absolutely has zero interest in what the notch looks like or wearing a pair of AirPods in public. You have to look beyond the superficial aspect and design when it comes to the actual core functionality.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
It’s just crazy how those ‘terrible designs’ blasted the market on fire in terms of wearables and biometric security with a notch, isn’t it? I mean, who would’ve thought that Apple practically owns both of those categories that you’re claiming is terrible, which we all know, average consumers absolutely has zero interest in what the notch looks like or wearing a pair of AirPods in public. You have to look beyond the superficial aspect and design when it comes to the actual core functionality.
You’re right. They even caugh Apple by surprise.
I’ve never been a fan of the design and I even own a pair.
No one can argue that they are very very popular.
I think younger people can rock them best though. Like skinny jeans.
Ive seen beautiful celebrities over 25 wearing during covid19 interviews recently and even they look silly wearing them. Even older beautiful celebrities can’t rock them without looking ridiculous.
And they are not even particularly comfortable or sound that great.
The truth is, and i know this as i type this, who cares what i think?

Last edited:

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Isn’t this the same company who claimed Apple copied their M8 design.

Then followed that up by making the A9....

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
you cant really blame apple for resting on their laurels when other companies just copy them all the time.

Where is the competition? The actual competition. I would argue only Microsoft seem to actually do their own thing with hardware.

Reactions: incoherent_1

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Why are people copying Apple's terrible designs? Notch and Airpods? Ahhh, they're just trying to ride Apple's wave...

I admit AirPods look a little silly (the white sticks are not my favorite piece of industrial design), but I wouldn’t call them “terrible”. They at least serve some purpose (beam-forming microphone, “handle” to ease removing). I haven’t seen any other designer do it better (the big chunky circles of Microsoft are fun for people with style but I would never be able to pull those off)

Reactions: Breaking Good

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Well, EVERYBODY is making AirPods lookalike. Realme, Xiaomi, Huawei, everybody.
The funny thing is, why are they copying the non-pro Airpods, where many have expressed discomfort due to the plastic ear housing? Why not copy the Airpods Pro design instead with in-ear design and more comfortable silicon tips?

Ah well, all of them probably came out from the same OEM. HTC is just "late" to the party.
Maybe they aren't actually copying AirPods.
How else can a company design a pair of completely wireless earbuds that don't have those rubber tips?
Maybe they just took the design below and cut the wire. It's not something new or extraordinary.
headphones-earphones-with-mic-colour-chrome-for-earpods-htc-sony-samsung-apple-24236508.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.