Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

HTC Responds to Apple Patent Lawsuit

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Handset manufacturer HTC today issued a statement disagreeing with claims made by Apple in its patent infringement lawsuit filed earlier this month.
"HTC disagrees with Apple's actions and will fully defend itself. HTC strongly advocates intellectual property protection and will continue to respect other innovators and their technologies as we have always done, but we will continue to embrace competition through our own innovation as a healthy way for consumers to get the best mobile experience possible," said Peter Chou, chief executive officer, HTC Corporation.
The press release continues by outlining a number of awards and industry firsts achieved by the company as an argument for its leadership in innovation and intellectual property development.

Apple has reportedly been disrupting iPhone competitors with legal threats based on its substantial intellectual property portfolio. The company's suit against HTC has been seen as a warning shot to prove to the industry that it means business, as well as an indirect attack on Google, who has stood behind HTC as its partner for Android-based phones.

Article Link: HTC Responds to Apple Patent Lawsuit

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I find it hard to believe HTC (or anyone for that matter) would patent infringe know what Apple is capable of. But it will be interesting to see how far this goes in the courts (years?) or if they will settle.

Comment

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Their own innovations... which just happened to be released a few months after the iPhone! What are the chances! :eek:

Comment

cosmicthing

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Competition is a good thing, I love my iPhone but would love other manufacturers force Apple to bring their A game on the next update. There hasn't been enough innovation since the 2G.

Comment

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I find it hard to believe HTC (or anyone for that matter) would patent infringe know what Apple is capable of. But it will be interesting to see how far this goes in the courts (years?) or if they will settle.

Patent law is often times very difficult to maneuver around even for experienced companies due to the complex nature of patents in general. It is very likely that HTC honestly believes that it is not in violation of any of Apple's patents whatsoever. We just don't know.

Comment

angrynstupid

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
If HTC had a case, they'd be threatening to sue Apple back to the stone age and not just sending out a lame press release.

Comment

Mr Fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Dublin
Multi-touch?

If this is largely about multi touch, and pinching and using the gestures, I think HTC have the moral high ground, if not the legal one.

Multi touch shouldn't be patentable, it's a logical step in touch input, and it's too important a technology for restrictions to be placed on its use by classing it as IP. Maybe there's specific objections about it's deployed by Apple and now HTC, but there's only so many ways that touch input mechanisms can be designed. I mean, it's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Comment

BlackZ

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I hope Apple will wake up finally and hope HTC will win this.
It will be very hard for HTC but let's see.

Competition is good but do it hardware/softwarewise and not patentwise.

Comment

coleridge78

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
If this is largely about multi touch, and pinching and using the gestures, I think HTC have the moral high ground, if not the legal one.

Multi touch shouldn't be patentable, it's a logical step in touch input, and it's too important a technology for restrictions to be placed on its use by classing it as IP. Maybe there's specific objections about it's deployed by Apple and now HTC, but there's only so many ways that touch input mechanisms can be designed. I mean, it's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

1. If you don't know what it's about, why are you commenting?

2. If multi-touch was a "logical" next step, I'm sure you can reference the many average engineers and interface professionals around the world who all developed substantially similar ideas at the same time...

Comment

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009

I sort of agree. It's like patenting the wheel.

Comment

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Patent law is often times very difficult to maneuver around even for experienced companies due to the complex nature of patents in general. It is very likely that HTC honestly believes that it is not in violation of any of Apple's patents whatsoever. We just don't know.

Yes and no, its not only that patent are complex legal instruments, but now they are so broad and far more restrictive to what they where designed to do.
The only good thing is that this time its two big companies with a lot at stake to bring this problem into the open and crush it. If not what will it be like in 5 or 10 years, will simple patent statements used by patent troll companies cripple smaller but innovative companies to their knees.

Apple has basically patent a gesture not a real technology, though the iphone is a nice piece of hardware/software its off the shelve technology so Apple has basically patented a thought which is about the same for any phone that uses a finger, I have seen how the Google phone works and its not the same as the iphone, but we will have to wait and see if the courts again get lame and don't want to hear. After all this is not about Apple vs. Google or HTC its about Billion and Billions of dollars in patents that may be really all worthless junk that makes companies go to the politicians really fast.

Comment

mags631

Mar 6, 2007

First, there are a ton of patents. So a company doesn't have to steal or blatantly disregard a patent to infringe.

Second, there is a question of interpretation of what the patent is trying to cover.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it is really expensive to do all the necessary research to be 100% certain that you are not infringing on a patent. And even so, it's probably unrealistic to expect 100% certainty no matter how much money you pour into that process.

Comment

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Would HTC be able to argue "we just built a dumb handset, it's Google's software that actually makes our phones multi-touch, go sue them"? Is it actually clear-cut who has (possibly) breached the patent?

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This lawsuit is more of an attack on andriod that htc. Just apple does not have the guts to sue the open handset allaince directly. If they did that it would become real ugly real quickly because apple would be trap in a lot of law suits. There are a lot of big players that are part of the allaince. Android is property of the open handset allaince.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
HTC is going to get nailed on at least a few key patents. Apple has all their ducks in a row on this one. This wasn't simply a snap-reaction from Cupertino. It was a long time in the making.

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

I'm really getting tired of hearing this. I read the high level overview of each of the 20 patents. NONE of them are for multitouch!

Comment

Palleraa

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
I believe the problem is the whole patent system. As long as Apple has a paper that says that they invented the unlock gesture noone should be able to use it without permission. The problem is the fact that is it possible to get a patent like this. I think whoever is in charge of patents should really reconsider their system. Not allowing anyone to patent things that seems so obvious. I also believe Apple have the patent of the home-screen with small icons scattered over it. Come on, Nokia have been using that for years. Maybe they should consider enforcing the patent much more but only allowing a patent like "pinch to zoom", "slide to unlock" and other technologies to stand for 2-5 years. That would really speed up innovation.

It is hard to use the "old" patent system for things that move as fast as the mobile phone business does. Especially when it comes to good ideas rather than expensive-to-develop technologies. Lets face it, if everyone was enforcing their patents 100% everything would stagger. Nokia owns GSM, iPhone owns the "app-idea" etc. They really should put down a "fair-commetee", this could work where I'm from (Denmark). But given the legal system of USA i know it would never be realistic "over there".

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This is the key part:

HTC strongly advocates intellectual property protection and will continue to respect other innovators and their technologies

So they'll respect other innovators, but not Apple?

Comment

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
1. If you don't know what it's about, why are you commenting?

2. If multi-touch was a "logical" next step, I'm sure you can reference the many average engineers and interface professionals around the world who all developed substantially similar ideas at the same time...

Are you using a fallacy of Burden of Proof.

Logically yes the next step to single touch is multi-touch, what do you think it would have been faster single touch?

To say its not intuitive that people had not figured out years ago multi-touch was not the next stop is stupid at least and blind fanboy at most. So tell me what is the next step voice, oh no that can't be, it will be butt cheek double touch. :eek: Make sure you keep lots of wipes around. :p

Just because Apple got a patent(s) like so many companies have done lately for nothing new just off the shelve china made equipment with a new twist is not a good precedence for future innovation. So does Apple have the Balls to go after MS$ for their new version phone OS? Like to see that, so patents are really about bulling the small companies, sound like we are back in Junior High. :cool:

Comment

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Competition is a good thing, I love my iPhone but would love other manufacturers force Apple to bring their A game on the next update. There hasn't been enough innovation since the 2G.

http://www.connorclements.tv/James/Homepage.html
this ain't about competition as you see it. This is about HTC riding the gravy train of Apple's patents. Allegedly. And Apple isn't competing with HTC, per se, cause HTC is copying them. Also Apple doesn't troll out new phones like every other week like HTC, LG etc. Apple has such game that they can just release one phone a year. That's Apple's A game baby. And if HTC was so bad a** lets see them drop just ONE new phone a year. Boooya!!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.