HTTP mail doesn't work after 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kristoffer4, May 30, 2008.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Just found out that the little brilliant plug-in to get hotmail in mail doesn't work anymore after the update! Any ideas? :rolleyes:

2. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

doesn't work for me. I don't have hotmail premium.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Neither do I, seems to work for me. I think httpmail is about to become abandonware given what MS is doing to hotmail.

From versiontracker:

4. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

This was added yesterday on macupdate's HTTPMAIL download page:

"If you have a Hotmail Plus account you should still be able to access your mail using the POP3 protocol. The details for setting up POP3 access is as follows.

Incoming mail server: pop3.live.com (port 995)

Outgoing mail server: smtp.live.com (port 25)

Username: your full hotmail email address

NOTE: the outgoing mail server requires authentication (Version 1.51)"

I cant get it to work... :confused: Anyone can?
    Cheers,

5. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

6. chscag macrumors 68000

Painful maybe, but like the rest of us who have been "bitten" on the *** by MS, switch to GMail. I did and have never regretted it.

Regards.

7. koolio87 macrumors newbie

Worked fine for me. Need to have a premium/hotmail plus account. I think I had to add another account with the existing hotmail address using the mail servers given and then it was all fine.

8. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

Yeah, I have a paid account too but cant seem to get it to work...
    Arg, I need this! Any tips you can share? Thanks,

9. koolio87 macrumors newbie

did you re-add your account? make sure the port numbers are the same and ssl is on. not sure whether i did anything special. it just worked.

10. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Mine has not stopped working. A bit relunctant to update to the latest version now

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is weird.. I have a paid account and it is not working for me either...... After I tried this:

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

IIRC they should be the default port numbers.

Did you set it up from the begining as a POP account? or are you trying to convert a HTTPMAIL account? If it is the later you have to create a new account as POP.

To change/verfiy the ports

Incoming

Mail - Accounts - Hotmail accounts - Advanced.

Outgoing

Mail Accounts - Hotmail accounts - Account Information - Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - Edit Server List - Select the Hotmail server - Advanced.

13. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

got it thanks!! SSL is the key...

Cheers,

14. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I understand that 10.5.3 breaks httpmail… but if I upgrade to 10.5.3, will all my Hotmail messages in Mail from before 10.5.3 still be visible, or will they be deleted.

I have switched to GMail, so I’m fine with not being able to send/receive Hotmail anymore, but I’d still like all my old messages to be viewable/searchable

TIA

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What I'd recommend that you do, just to be safe, is to copy all your Hotmail messages to a folder stored locally on your Mac, then upgrade.

16. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

would I be able to import those messages to Mail even if I deleted the plug-in? Just to be able to read and search them.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's why I suggested storing them locally, at least temporarily. You can always copy them to GMail later (if you're using IMAP), so they stay on the server but can still be searched, as you desire. No need to import or anything like that.

18. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Too bad. I like to keep my hotmail account if I had to sign up for things and my Gmail, a nice, clean, account for friends and family only. It was very convenient to use HTTPmail to sync the junk, and maybe the odd important hotmail into my mail account. Nice to see Microsoft is using a new, undocumented, proprietary system to mess things up for us.

19. amy29 macrumors newbie

Help! Deleted messages!!

When I was trying to figure out what was going on with my hotmail account i had the bright idea of deleting the account and then re-adding it. NOT BRIGHT. When I login to my hotmail account via Safari, all of the messages that I stored in mailboxes that I created in Mail for my hotmail account are gone!!! Does anyone know how or if I can get those emails back??

20. koolio87 macrumors newbie

did you keep the emails on the server or delete them when you opened it in mail?? if they are still accessible at hotmail.com you should be able to get them back again. if they are not on server, i don't know sorry.

21. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

re-import using:

under mail file menu -> import mailboxes -> Mail for Mac osx

-> user -> your name -> library -> mail -> httpmail inbox.

Should work, ;)

22. liv3fastdi3fun macrumors newbie

I Need Help!!!!!!

Ok. i have been reading all the forms and the reviews on the new Mac Leopard update and how it screwed up anyones mac mail that has hotmail. im so confused with where to put the port #'s or if i have to download something else to make it work or if i have to change my account type.. does it have to be on POP? or HTTPMail?.. can someone help me!! i had hotmail for a while and idk if its premium or what. i didnt pay for it. it was the free one.. but someone please help me!!

23. amy29 macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! I think this is the closest I'll ever get! a couple of my mailboxes were in there - the ones created automatically by Mail (e.g. sent folder etc), so I think I'm going to salvage what I can out of that. Thank you!