Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Huawei-Mate-S.jpg
While the smartphone market largely remains a two-horse race between rivals Apple and Samsung, Chinese handset maker Huawei is placing increasing pressure on the industry giants after experiencing strong growth in China and Europe in 2015.
Third-quarter deliveries climbed 81 percent and 98 percent in China and Europe respectively from a year ago. About a third of the quarterly shipments were mid- to high-end models, Huawei said, up from 25 percent a year earlier.
Huawei cemented its position as the third-largest smartphone vendor, a rank that previously belonged to Chinese rival Xiaomi, after its third-quarter smartphone shipments rose 63% year-over-year to 27.4 million handsets, according to Reuters.
"It's hard to find a solid contender to Huawei for the top three position (after Samsung and Apple) in the short term," said Nicole Peng, Asia Pacific director at research firm Canalys. "That's impressive growth."
Huawei is projected to ship more than 100 million smartphones in 2015, around 33% more than 2014, outpacing growth forecast for major rivals including Apple, Xiaomi and Lenovo. The Shenzhen-based handset maker also doubled its smartphone revenue in the first half of 2015 in China, a key smartphone market alongside the United States.

Nevertheless, Huawei remains a distant third behind Apple and Samsung, largely because its market penetration remains low in the U.S., where its devices were once labeled a security risk in a U.S. Congressional report. Huawei's smartphone market share was worth $7 billion in the second quarter, according to Canalys.

Article Link: Huawei Challenges Apple and Samsung as Third-Largest Smartphone Maker

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Huawei was supposedly linked to China Military sometime back o_O

And these figures are apparently coming from dumping of sub 100$ junk mobiles in eurasian countries.

Reactions: kingpushup

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
If they make a rose gold phone watch this forum decree they must burn! In terms of growth they are obviously going to be behind Apple and Scansung because those two own so much of the market already. They should be aiming to take some of the customers of both by offering the features both sides want but do not have, but that is just my opinion. With regards to devices they need a fan base, I do not think I know anyone desperately about to line up for the new Huawei... I will be sticking with iOS; as I always have, and do not see this changing in the near future.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
It doesn't surprise me that Huawei are growing in Europe.

We see a huge amount of advertising for Huawei here in the Netherlands. I can't remember the last time I saw an advert for the iPhone on my television.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Yeah...Xiaomi did the same thing for awhile, and then petered out. I don't see much different happening here in the long run. It's still just another Android OEM.

Xiaomi operates in a handful of countries. Huawei operates in as many countries as Samsung and probably more than Apple. They also have other arms of technology for synergy. If anyone can challenge Samsung it's Huawei.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Remember when Xiaomi was going to take over the world?

They are pratically history right now.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Hello, here in the US, I have never seen one of these in the wild. Actually, not even in a store. As the article mentioned they either are not going after the US or they are waiting for the security risk to blow over before trying. After two attempts at trying out Android, I still don't understand why people argue its so much better. I will stick with my 6s (until the 7 comes out of course) and iOS, thank you very much.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Yeah...Xiaomi did the same thing for awhile, and then petered out. I don't see much different happening here in the long run. It's still just another Android OEM.
Petered out?
They still are successful in China last time I checked. Just because they lost first place in China doesn't mean they petered out.

Glassed Silver:mac

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I think Huawei is going to over take Samsung in the coming months. If they can make nice phones, with a great interface (without bloat), they may have a chance. It was only a few months since their name has become known. I never knew of them before.

We shall see what happens.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Huawei was supposedly linked to China Military sometime back o_O

And these figures are apparently coming from dumping of sub 100$ junk mobiles in eurasian countries.
1) Most companies were also making weapons and stuff like that during World Wars, so I don't quite see your point. Is it because it's *China* Military ?

2) As said in the article, about a third of that is mid to high end.

Reactions: H2SO4

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
1) Most companies were also making weapons and stuff like that during World Wars, so I don't quite see your point. Is it because it's *China* Military ?

2) As said in the article, about a third of that is mid to high end.

Maybe you don't keep up with past events. The company was installing chips in the tech it sold to other governments / countries whose purpose was to send secret info back to China.

"... reported that (ex-CIA chief) General Hayden has seen “hard evidence” of spying activity performed by Huawei, the world’s second largest telecom equipment manufacturer, on behalf of the Chinese government."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.