Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
The thing with China is, if they say they're going to do something, they usually do it.
In the amount of time it requires Irvine to add a 1 mile lane to each side of the road China can usually build a high rise tower or a high speed train tracks between a few cities. When you have 1.5 Billion people behind getting something done which has Government support what they need to get done usually gets done. They have the manpower and brain knowledge I reckon to get it done.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
In the amount of time it requires Irvine to add a 1 mile lane to each side of the road China can usually build a high rise tower or a high speed train tracks between a few cities. When you have 1.5 Billion people behind getting something done which has Government support what they need to get done usually gets done. They have the manpower and brain knowledge I reckon to get it done.

Yep, agreed.

Reactions: stylinexpat

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Trust the Chinese to do the unexpected. Chairman Mao says 'more hands mean more miracle'.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Here’s a great documentary as to how ahead China is and how much many of your favourite tech companies are doing a lot of their R&D there. Even American $Bllionaires cannot stay away from it.

It’s hilarious how some people around these forums have tried so hard to keep the old stereotype going about China and their tech companies, but it’s clear who the real tech leader is these days and with Huawei and OPPO growing less reliant on Google, things are going to get very interesting for many US companies, especially in Silicone Valley.

Check it out:

Apple have been very clever in trying to play balancing act and not pulling out completely out of there.

I absolutely cannot wait for Huawei to thoroughly build their OS and it’s ecosystem considering how fast and fluid they manage to keep their Androids with Google on them, I cannot wait to see who much better their hardware will run their own software without any middleman involved.

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
But doesn't the fact still remain they can't officially install US made apps? Major apps like Google Maps, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. There aren't substitutes for those.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
But doesn't the fact still remain they can't officially install US made apps? Major apps like Google Maps, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. There aren't substitutes for those.
Exactly.....it is not too hard for a big company to build their own OS. It is all about the apps. Just ask Microsoft about it....

Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Exactly.....it is not too hard for a big company to build their own OS. It is all about the apps. Just ask Microsoft about it....
I'm sure it will seriously eat into Google's market share. In Asia. But they're not going to outdo Google in the West.

I don't know anyone that doesn't use at least one of the major apps I mentioned and hardly any shops here will bother with selling phones that can't download them. "Hey, buy this amazing phone for £1k. Oh but sorry you can't share your holiday pics on Instagram"......

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm sure it will seriously eat into Google's market share. In Asia. But they're not going to outdo Google in the West.

I don't know anyone that doesn't use at least one of the major apps I mentioned and hardly any shops here will bother with selling phones that can't download them. "Hey, buy this amazing phone for £1k. Oh but sorry you can't share your holiday pics on Instagram"......
Agreed....it will be minus some of the most popular apps in the world.
Look at at the example the windows mobile platform taught us. For a while Windows phones had the best cameras on a smartphone. But the platform as a while did not have the apps to make it successful. People loved the hardware....but there weren't enough great apps to sustain the hardware.

Reactions: michael9891

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Here’s a great documentary as to how ahead China is and how much many of your favourite tech companies are doing a lot of their R&D there. Even American $Bllionaires cannot stay away from it.

It’s hilarious how some people around these forums have tried so hard to keep the old stereotype going about China and their tech companies, but it’s clear who the real tech leader is these days and with Huawei and OPPO growing less reliant on Google, things are going to get very interesting for many US companies, especially in Silicone Valley.

Check it out:

Apple have been very clever in trying to play balancing act and not pulling out completely out of there.

I absolutely cannot wait for Huawei to thoroughly build their OS and it’s ecosystem considering how fast and fluid they manage to keep their Androids with Google on them, I cannot wait to see who much better their hardware will run their own software without any middleman involved.
It is changing of the guard. As new leaders emerge, monopolies will be slaughter. The only way some old stereotype can not compete just ban the competitor mentality still exists.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

I fancy they might be able to achieve some things that Apple is able to achieve owing to its own hardware and software. Interesting times ahead. The only thing is trust - I don't know if their code will be spyware-free. I don't know of Apple either, in that sense, but I can trust Apple.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013

Actually it’s mainly Google apps
People who already have the Mate 30 Pro are happily using apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.... it’s mainly apps that rely on GMS that are an issue

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Actually it’s mainly Google apps
People who already have the Mate 30 Pro are happily using apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.... it’s mainly apps that rely on GMS that are an issue
Yeah but for how long? Far too much uncertainty surrounding Huawei. That's why zero shops over here stock the Mate 30.

Google Maps is the choice of map app for a vast majority of Android users. Not sure if YouTube falls under the same but no YouTube app would also be a big nope for many.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Yeah but for how long? Far too much uncertainty surrounding Huawei. That's why zero shops over here stock the Mate 30.

Google Maps is the choice of map app for a vast majority of Android users. Not sure if YouTube falls under the same but no YouTube app would also be a big nope for many.

Very true but in the same breath there are plenty enough people who don’t care for Google and their services, enough that Huawei saw more sales this year in places like India, reason being: Local Partnerships.

Huawei have been strategic in launching the Mate 30 Pro in regions they know are not as heavily reliant on Google as many of us think, where they are able to make local partnerships with developers and services. In counties like South Korea Google Maps for example barely has much of a share vs the Local mapping solution, Naver, which everyone uses there.

Something that many American companies fail at is adapting to a market, this has allowed companies like Huawei to grow incredibly fast as when they arrive they research and make partnerships before pushing a product on to that market.

If services like WeChat, Naver, AliPay, Mpesa etc.... start becoming more popular globally as they have in regions like China, South Korea, Kenya etc.... companies like Huawei and OPPO could make Google irrelevant very quickly, the next decade is going to be fascinating, I think Huawei will figure it out in a way that none of can think of right now.

What I love about all this is that other Chinese OEMs are waking up to the reality of dealing with US companies and their government and so are actively looking for ways to get around using them in the long run. The same goes for Indian OEMs. These countries have populations in the Billions and have so many clever minds that were initially all running to the USA but now are staying and building for their own countries. In 2030 I am sure we’ll be sitting here talking about how certain Silicone Valley giants got themselves either beaten or sold to Chinese or Indian companies

It can only be good for us customers Google simply cannot rule forever, we’ve become far too reliant on them.

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Huawei making Google irrelevant very quickly is a bit of a stretch if ever I saw one. And I'm not talking about other parts of the world where people use Google alternatives. Shops here won't stock products if they don't have access to the Google apps. Your average consumer, which is the vast majority doesn't want hassle and workarounds.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Huawei making Google irrelevant very quickly is a bit of a stretch if ever I saw one. And I'm not talking about other parts of the world where people use Google alternatives. Shops here won't stock products if they don't have access to the Google apps. Your average consumer, which is the vast majority doesn't want hassle and workarounds.

We’ll agree to disagree , the next decade will be interesting!

Reactions: ramram55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.