Hub + refunded...disappointed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mdbradigan, Oct 15, 2015.

1. mdbradigan macrumors member

mdbradigan

So - my pre-order of the Nonda Hub + for Macbook got booted from October 2015...to February 2016...to an email I got this morning saying they are refunding all customers' orders. Seriously disappointed to find out that this is vaporware. Anyone have any luck with an actual (real, tangible, *currently* available) product? If not - guess I will get the $79 Mac adapter...but it more than a little ridiculous in terms of feature set for price. I'm looking for a good way to ocasionally set up my macbook with external screen/mouse/keyboard.

2. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Kickstarter is such a scam, sorry. It's not really a bunch of hungry startups, it's large companies getting free market research. It's really terrible, should be shut down.

I'll be in Hong Kong next week and I'm sure I'll find the identical item. I'll report back when I do.

BJ

3. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

4. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

There are several models that look similar that are being released by factories in China, I'm sure that's why these guys shut their project down. If it ever existed.

BJ

5. mdbradigan thread starter macrumors member

mdbradigan

If you don't mind letting us know if you find anything fun boltjames - that would be awesome. Thanks for the offer.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

On their website, they have an email sign-up for updates for the hub; the rest of their products remain on their site. Perhaps they ran into production problems.

boltjames - I, too, would be interested in hearing what you find in HK.

7. mdbradigan thread starter macrumors member

mdbradigan

This is what they said in their e-mail:

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

9. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Happy to help, will post once I'm over there next week. I'll be in Tokyo too, perhaps something interesting will materialize there as well.

BJ

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally I think that they were too ambitious with the functionality of the Hub + which is why I never got involved from the start. There are multiple hubs available in China (taobao.com), however non have the same feature set of the Hub + There is good reason why so few powered multifunctional hubs are available very much a case of "easier said than done"

You may get lucky in HK, personally I go to the electronics district in Shenzhen, if you can't find it there, like as not is not been produced :) Much will depend on the level of functionality you want.

Q-6

11. KPOM macrumors G5

At least they are giving refunds. They had gone so long without a word so people thought it was a scam. Hydradock still claims to be on schedule to ship something before the end of the year and have given detailed updates, but that's really more of a desktop docking station (assuming it ever ships, as well).

Given how enthusiastic Apple was about USB-C, and how it is gaining traction with newer Android and Windows Phone devices, it's surprising that there haven't been more products from established companies yet.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

When you dig into the new "standard" it`s magnitudes more complex than previous iterations of USB, notably if you want to provide power to the system on top of data in/out (data, video, audio etc.). It`s also a reason why Apple`s mini hub is priced as it is. Given this, currently Apple`s own adaptor is the safest bet, personally I would be a little wary of a cheap no name brand hub that involved charging the rMB.

The one thing I would like in a hub is DP, however I am struggling to find one that also reliably provides the charging facility to the Notebook.

Q-6

13. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

14. psymac macrumors 6502

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Inclusion of HDMI & VGA is a good, little big for my liking and sales pitch is a little lame. For external drives you don't need an "adaptor" or "hub" you just need the appropriate cable.

Q-6

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Not surprised. Ever since beginning to read into what they were trying to do vs. what everyone was working on, I had a suspicion this project was going nowhere.

Buy the Apple adapter. It's not perfect in terms of form factor but it's by far the best thing available at the moment.

17. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

OP, like me wanted a Display Port. There is no Apple adaptor that includes a Display Port.

Such a disappointment that the Hub+ has been deployed or become vapourware.

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Buy an hdmi to displayport cable??

19. psymac macrumors 6502

This dock from Microsoft looks promising, but not sure if the DP port supports 4K, might be only 1080p and may only work with Lumia phones. "Coming soon" at $99. Not sure why MS went with USB 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

20. psymac macrumors 6502

And not get 4K output?

21. phoey1, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

phoey1 macrumors newbie

You cannot use a hdmi to dp cable. The only possibilities right now of connecting a DisplayPort monitor is using the usbc to DisplayPort cable. Hydradock or Microsoft display hub is the only ones so far and both are unreleased.

22. oGu macrumors member

The only problem with the Microsoft Dock is that it does not supply the necessary power to charge the macbook. It does to charge a phone but not a notebook.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Tend to agree the Microsoft Dock may charge the rMB, equally it would be at a glacial pace, and like as not only when the Mac was sleeping.
    • Charger input current3: 3000 mA
    • Charger output current: 2000 mA
    • Charger output voltage: 5 V
    Q-6

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I forgot about the fact that you can easily go displayport --> hdmi but not the other way around. There are, however, several active converters on Amazon from reputable names for under $100. If I had to keep a displayport monitor, that seems like a better option than waiting around for a kickstarter project that may never materialize.

You aren't going to get 4k from displayport on this computer ever, though.

25. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Do you know how or where the Minix Neo V2 will be sold? I Googled it and did not find the main website. For my needs I need a hub that has a SD card reader in it.

I suspect that the Nonda Hub+ will be a good product when it is available. February seems awfully far away though!