Hubby bought me an iPad1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ladybug, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

On the 11th, same day as the iPad2 came out. My husband purchased an iPad1 for me at the discounted price. This is my first iPad and I'm loving the portability of it. My main uses will be Netflix, the web, and as a Kindle replacement. Other than a few simple games like Scrabble, I really don't for see myself needing all the bells and whistles.... So my question is...should I even consider keeping this iPad1 or would I be nuts not to upgrade to iPad2 while I'm still within my return period? The processor speed on the new iPad2 is about the only thing that gives me pause, as I don't care about the camera and such. Thanks

2. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I think you should just be happy that you got a free iPad especially since you didn't have one prior to the 11th. I'm sure that between the price your husband paid and the price of the ipad 2, the upgrade won't be worth the extra cash. Of course if you just want a white iPad......

3. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My father has the iPad 1, he uses it for reading, email, Netflix, weather and Safari. He is very happy with it and sees no need to update.

Take the money you saved on the discount and go out for a nice dinner with your wonderful husband. :)

4. Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Personally $100 more is a no brainer. If you guys are strapped for cash, or really don't need upgrades or extra features, then u could be satisfied with your iPad. Remember it's also much thinner=More portable. and if you want your device to work nicely with future upgrades iOS 5, iOS 6... you should have the best hardware possible

It's really your own personal call. I'd recommend at least playing around with an iPad 2.

5. ATHmathieu macrumors regular

Well said! I'd rather receive a free iPad 1 than have had to pay for my iPad 2.

Just going to use it for browsing and Netflix so I won't notice much a of a difference, if any at all other than reloading tabs.

:)

6. Syk macrumors 6502a

My only concern would be if iOS5 will bog it down.

If your husband bought it out the blue for you I'd keep it.
    Gifts like that are worth more than upgrading IMO

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

It depends on how long you plan on using the ipad.

If you plan on upgrading next year when ipad 3 comes out, than ipad 1 will be fine.

However, unless your husband got a severely discounted ipad 1 (like 16GB wifi for $300), I would return it and pay the extra $100 for a base $500 16GB wifi ipad 2.

I am assuming your husband got the $400 ipad 1 that Apple discounted a couple of weeks ago.

The reason I say that you should return the ipad 1 is simple:

Judging from Apple support of iOS (iphone devices), they tend to get the device a full 2 years of software support.

So ipad 1 came out April 2010. That means Apple will start restricting software support for the device around April 2012. This really only gives you one year of software support if you plan on keeping the ipad 1.

But if you get the ipad 2, you will know you will get a full 2 year's worth of full software support (2011-2013).

To me, $400 for ipad 1 is not worth it. What's an extra $100 in the overall scheme of things to get the lastest/greatest.

But if you husband got the ipad 1 for $300, than that $200 price difference makes a difference.

All signs point to your husband getting the $400 discounted first gen ipad.

8. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I ordered my iPad on Friday & decided to get my wife one of the discounted iPad 1st gen units. When I told her my plan, her response was "How much is the discount? I told her $100. Her reply was for me to spend the $100 and get her the new one...and she is pretty frugal!

The funniest part was when I telling her how it compares to the Kindle. She stops me & goes, "Wait, I can read books on this thing?!" I had to shake my head & remind her that if she really wanted to, she could read books on her iPhone 4!

9. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

10. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

LB - which kindle are you trying to replace? a K3? The iPad 1 was too heavy to hold for too long while reading the on the kindle was a breeze. I purchased the k3 just because of the reading aspect being too heavy on the first gen.

i guess it doesnt matter since the kindle app is available on every computing device out there almost...

Good luck with your new toy.

11. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I think it is worth paying $100 to upgrade. I have an iPad 1 wifi model and wanted to get a new iPad with 3g. I was waiting until iPad 2 was announced because it was rumored that iPad 1 would drop in price.

Honestly, I think that the upgrades and speed increase are worth an extra $100. If I didn't want to go with 3g or I already had a 3g model, I would not buy a new iPad this generation because the upgrades are not worth THAT much...but $100 I think they are worth it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

I too have an iPad 1 and I'm content with it. I have the odd game or two. I use it for reading, note taking and web browsing. I'm content with the iPad 1.

13. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I'm a moderate gamer. Like you I play scrabble, Read, Netflix like a mad man, web and several other things.

All that to say I'm perfectly content with the iPad 1 and have no intentions to upgrade until the 3.

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

As others have stated, given your needs the first gen should be fine. However, something to consider might be the length of support in future firmware updates. I think it's logical to assume that at some point we'll see new firmware with new features that don't support the first generation iPad but work fine on the second generation. We've seen this on the iPhone hardware/software front. Given the iPad 2 had double the ram, a dual core processor (vs single core in the iPad 1), and huge improvements in graphics performance, it's logical to think that future updates will take advantage of these. Won't make a difference to you now but that +$100 for the iPad 2 might give you a couple (or more) additional years of support from Apple firmware upgrades.

Just something to consider.

15. NEBaghead macrumors member

NEBaghead

I bought my wife an iPad 1 when I got my iPad 2. She is perfectly content and could care less about the camera. She can go to all of her "Twilight" forums without any problems and even she noticed the performance gain between 4.2 and 4.3. I upgraded it after she played with the iPad for a day.

It completely replaced her netbook. Chances are I will be selling the netbook on craigslist this weekend.

16. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

17. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I would say it depends. If you want the iPad2 then go get it, I have both the iPad 2 and the original, and there isn't a big difference IMO.

However, everyone is different.. Look at the budget , if the extra 100 is important don't upgrade, because 100 bucks is 100 bucks... If money isn't your first concern there, the iPad2 is marginally faster, and has crappy camera on it that are only fine to use if you plan on talking to someone on face time... They can't be used to take decent pics, but if you know lots of people that want to talk to you with FaceTime, then that may be a consideration.

I am using the pad2 and I gave the iPad1 to my kids because the price was great! ( I got them the refurbished ones for 349) and frankly the modest upgrade of the iPad 2 wasn't enough of an incentive to buy them a model that was 150 bucks more for the kids that shouldn't be using the internet with cameras without me anyway!

18. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

But that could happen to the ipad2 when the ipad3 comes out in a year. And so on and so on....

Considering what it will be used for, I don't think future upgrades will matter and by that point maybe they will get the ipad 4.

For what it will be used for I do not think trading in will do anything other than make the husband a little hurt that his gift wasn't good enough.

19. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Sounds like your uses are pretty light. In all honesty it depends on your pickiness. Do you care if it takes a second to render a page if you scroll down to fast or not? Also, like someone mentioned above, future ios support. However your uses won't really change, so it'll take much longer for the apps to stop supporting your device.

If it were me (especially if you'd have to pay for the iPad 2) I would just keep the iPad one. That was a really nice thing for your husband to do and I think there's value behind that as well. But if he doesn't care what you do with it, then it's up to your personal uses for it.

20. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

What a nice hubby! I say upgrade!! Why not get the latest with the longest support cycle you can get? I love my cute little white iPad2. Took it to work today and set it up in Picture Frame mode just so I can enjoy looking at it while I work on my sucky old laptop. Haha

21. kyleaa macrumors regular

Depending on Apple Store stock you may be waiting quite awhile to get an iPad 2. Online shipping times are at a month now, so you'd have to return your iPad 1 and play the waiting game. That might factor into your decision.

22. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Just keep it and spend that $100 on something else. Doesnt sound like theres much reason for you to upgrade.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The greatest difference between the iPad 1 and 2, to me, is that 2 is much easier to hold. On paper, the weight difference may not seem like much, but the new thinner shape makes it feel MUCH lighter. I'm also finding it easier to type on itnwhile balancing it on my lap -- I'm thinking it stays more flat or something.Whether this is worth the extra $100 to you or not, I can't say. But whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy your iPad, and your hubby. ;)

24. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I got a 3 month old iPad 1 64gb 3G with Apple case and Apple keyboard for $550 locally on Craigslist. Was able to see it and verify serial number before I bought it. Still has 9 months of warranty and I paid the same price that Gazelle is offering for it. I think i did pretty well and when the iPad 3 comes out I can probably get $400 for this or give it to my wife.

Oh, and I love the iPad 1. Just put multi-touch gestures on it and it rocks!

25. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Thanks so much for all the great replies everyone. You have all been very helpful even though I haven't made up my mind 100% yet, I'm leaning toward keeping it.

Hubby purchased a 32gig Wifi model for me..he paid $499 for it I believe, at BB. It is mainly for home use, as I don't get out often and when I do I leave the electronics at home normally.

The Kindle I had was a Kindle 1. This was the second unit that went out on me, and its outside warranty. If they had back lighting and the web on the newer kindles, I might seriously be considering another one.

This iPad does everything I wanted one for, just not as fast. :D I am a bit geeky when it comes to my computers, but you're talking to a lady still walking around with a Razor phone so consider the source. :eek:

The number one thing I love about the iPad is how easy it is to carry it from room to room. I have a 13 inch Macbook that stayed off so long the battery went bad on it. Since getting this iPad I carry it all over the house. My main computer is a PC, I use that for games, Photoshop, Corel Painter mostly. This iPad fills the gap for me that I thought a Macbook would. The difference for me is the convenience factor.

I'm not entirely convinced that faster will have any real effect on reading a book or on watching my Netflix. The lighter weight might be something to consider though. So that leaves the web mainly, for reading forums such as this, youtube, and occasional internet radio.... I think I'm talking myself out of the upgrade and just waiting for some future iPad model. My husband doesn't really care one way or the other if I spend the extra money, so thats not a factor. All stores in my area have no stock, an no idea when they will get anymore.

So as of now I'm likely to just keep this one.Thanks so much for all the help and for your replies everyone. You guys helped me more than you know.