Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Until 14.11.2 beta, I used the AMD classic drivers but the card is recognized as a HD7000 series. That's not what I call "official" or "well-fitted". And so, why the bootcamp drivers are not updated since the release of the machine?

In addition to that, I don't know for your hardware, but when I use my computer for gaming (in Battlefield 4 especially), I have regular framerate drops from 60 to 28-34 even when I stay without any move. I find it really weird...

What machine do you have?

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
MacPro 2013, D700 x2, 64GB ram, Xeon E5 12 cores

Did you use DDU for uninstallation? You must use it.

Do you play with all in Ultra?

I'm playing BF4 with the Mantle render is working good mostly time is locked 60 fps
I think this is the best drivers for BF4.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Until 14.11.2 beta, I used the AMD classic drivers but the card is recognized as a HD7000 series. That's not what I call "official" or "well-fitted". And so, why the bootcamp drivers are not updated since the release of the machine?

In addition to that, I don't know for your hardware, but when I use my computer for gaming (in Battlefield 4 especially), I have regular framerate drops from 60 to 28-34 even when I stay without any move. I find it really weird...

Yet they have ECC, and 10-bit activated on the drivers. I have no frame doprs or issues at all. I already went through in length on a previous thread here about Xfire and nMP for gaming.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1726373/

I also don't use Beta drivers, which might cause issues. I really don't care if the cards are Seen as 7900's as long as the performance and features of a FirePro are there.

Now they dropped the ball, and if the next driver release is the same, it'll just push me towards NVIDIA again.

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 276

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
FYI the driver installs fine on an old Mac Pro with a 7950 and it installs fine under Win 7. Also installed on a PC with a R9 290x2 and yowza! Huge improvement in performance on both.

Won't try with the nMP as I'm not doing Bootcamp.

Danxter

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
I am playing in Ultra settings and sometimes it works well all the time and others not. The problem is that you MUST install the beta drivers if you want to play Dragon Age:Inquisition. If you don't, you cannot (and I don't know why).

And yes, I use Guru3D for uninstalling the drivers. I will try MSI afterburner, maybe it is the core of my problem...

By the way, if there is no driver in the future, the MacPro adventure will be ended for me and I will use combo MacBookPro-PC.

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Huge AMD GPU "Catalyst Omega" Driver Update

I am playing in Ultra settings and sometimes it works well all the time and others not. The problem is that you MUST install the beta drivers if you want to play Dragon Age:Inquisition. If you don't, you cannot (and I don't know why).

And yes, I use Guru3D for uninstalling the drivers. I will try MSI afterburner, maybe it is the core of my problem...

By the way, if there is no driver in the future, the MacPro adventure will be ended for me and I will use combo MacBookPro-PC.

Maybe you cards are throttling make sure monitor them with MSI or GPU-Z. I would recommend you to use MacsFan.

Last edited:

Danxter

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
I have installed MSI Afterburner and looked at the monitoring console concerning the use of the GPU (I disabled the ULPS too). I still noticed framerate drops but the use was not strange at all : not linear but waves going from 80% to 96% on both video cards. I don't know if it is normal, I will try with other softs as you advised me.

I am encountering another issue with my computer. I have decided to activate the 10-bit-pixel option and after the reboot, I just have a black screen... What can cause this? The monitor needs specific characteristics or settings? I will try to go back to 14.9 but I am really stuck with all those stories of drivers :-/

Danxter

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
I just rolled back to 14.9 and still have the black screen at Windows 8.1 startup. My Apple monitor is plugged with a displayport cable to the graphic card. I tried the ECC memory and had no problem (except a performance drop but it is normal because of the way the memory is used).

An idea of a solution please?

Danxter

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Yet they have ECC, and 10-bit activated on the drivers. I have no frame doprs or issues at all. I already went through in length on a previous thread here about Xfire and nMP for gaming.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1726373/

I also don't use Beta drivers, which might cause issues. I really don't care if the cards are Seen as 7900's as long as the performance and features of a FirePro are there.

Now they dropped the ball, and if the next driver release is the same, it'll just push me towards NVIDIA again.

What would you advise me to do please in order to make the 10-bit colors working on my machine? I do not try again because I must uninstall the drivers in safe mode in order to install it again (instead of unchecking the 10-bit option, impossible with a black screen at startup...).

Thank you.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Huge AMD GPU "Catalyst Omega" Driver Update

Hi, guys as you know the new Catalyst Omega was released

For the correct and clean installation in our nMP we need do the next:

Download Lastest DUU Program (Unistaller)

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Download Catalyst 14.11.2 Beta (We will need 2 files only) and Catalyst Omega 14.12 you can find here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+8.1+-+64

First Unistall the currently drivers what you have installed with DDU.

Then decompress both Catalyst Installer 14.11.2 and 14.12

In the Bin64 Folder from the old Package (14.11.2) you have to copy 2 Files in the new Bin64 (14.12) Folder and replace them:
- InstallManagerApp
- InstallManager.dll

Finally back to root directory and run the setup.exe enjoy the new drivers.

Release Notes and new features here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalystOmegaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

I have a new Mac Pro 6,1 with D500s. The method described above was an unqualified success for me. I first booted into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers using the app mentioned above, restarted again, and swapped out the files in the installers as described above. The setup of the Omega drivers worked flawlessly. Upon restarting, the AMD Fire Pro Control Panel continues to work perfectly. These drivers unlocked a new resolution (1920x1080) for me to be able to play Far Cry 4. I have a 4K ASUS PQ321Q 31.5" IGZO LEDBacklit monitor. For some reason, 1080p was not a choice that was available either within Windows 8.1, or within my game. I had to choose either full 4k resolution, which was unplayable, or a much lower 1280x720 resolution. This caused too much scaling and looked not great on a 4k screen. After installing these Omega drivers, 1080p was suddenly available, and of course it looks fantastic.

In the Fire Pro Control Panel, my graphics card is now detected as an AMD Radeon HD 7800 series. However, things seem to be working very well.

Thanks for the information! I'm really pleased with this.

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
The Omega drivers using the aforementioned workaround worked for me as far as the driver installation is concerned. But the FirePro Control Panel disappeared.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
The Omega drivers using the aforementioned workaround worked for me as far as the driver installation is concerned. But the FirePro Control Panel disappeared.

I'd be curious why mine remained. What model Mac Pro with what GPU? Did you have FirePro control panel installed already when you did this method? I had it installed, and it may not have been removed by the uninstall tool.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I'd be curious why mine remained. What model Mac Pro with what GPU? Did you have FirePro control panel installed already when you did this method? I had it installed, and it may not have been removed by the uninstall tool.

Actually, I solved the issue a few minutes after my previous post and I was going to update :p The problem is that the new FirePro Control Center (which should be installed with the new drivers) cannot run because of Registry remains of the old one (note: this happens although I did use the DDU - driver uninstaller).

So, if the Omega drivers install successfully but the FirePro control center is unable to load, you'll have to do the following:

1. Use the driver uninstaller (DDU) to clean up everything. Reboot.

2. Go to Registry (regedit) as Administrator and remove any keys named "ATI" under Software (HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE). Reboot.

3. Install the Omega drivers using the workaround described above for nMP. Reboot.

The FirePro Control Panel will be installed and run as it should.

Things like these remind me why I use a Mac and OS X for everything (except some Windows-only games). ;)

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
All of these issues with the latest BC drivers from AMD, have they been solved with the 12/16/2014 delivery of ver. 14.301?

I am currently running an older driver, but it works, and don't want to have to deal with this crap just for a few FPSes...

markswit

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2014
:-(

I'm having the same issue with the control panel not being installed.

I also used DDU, I also deleted the ATI Technologies key from HLM...

Does anyone have any ideas?

DaReaLDeviL

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
Germany
Does anybody know how this work on the newest 15.4 Betadriver for GTA?

I tried to replace the same files with the files but then the installer begin to crash.

thedot

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
I've tried to install the 15.4 drivers on my nMP (d700) as well... but so far - no luck :eek:

I succesfully installed the first Omega drivers by following the guide posted on this thread, but I can't get newer versions to work.

Any help would be much appreciated!

wising

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
I followed this guide:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1866962/

Works perfect for me, be aware that it seems not to work for everybody (look further down that thread).
The guide in this thread doesn't seem to work with the new drivers, installation crashes.

I have an Mac Pro 2013 with D300 and running Win 8.1 pro in bootcamp.

GTA V were unplayable with CF before I updated drivers (a lot of pending FPS and stuttering). With CF disabled it worked fine.

Now with new drivers CF works nice and smooth, a big difference.

D300 cards is recognized as R200 after update.

Hope it helps.

thedot

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
I followed this guide:

Works perfect for me, be aware that it seems not to work for everybody (look further down that thread).
The guide in this thread doesn't seem to work with the new drivers, installation crashes.

GTA V were unplayable with CF before I updated drivers (a lot of pending FPS and stuttering). With CF disabled it worked fine.

Hope it helps.

It didn't work for me (nMP 2013, D700). I just got the same error message as before about no AMD hardware being found.

But thanks anyway.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
I followed this guide:

Hope it helps.

Wow that's interesting, I was going to stay away from the omega drivers as GTA 5 is running quite well on my one D700 but if crossfire works smoothly with omega then I might have to try this out. Thanks for the info :)

Mattstrete

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Wow that's interesting, I was going to stay away from the omega drivers as GTA 5 is running quite well on my one D700 but if crossfire works smoothly with omega then I might have to try this out. Thanks for the info :)

I don't think he's talking about the Omega (December) driver. I think he's talking about the 15.4 BETA driver which seems to be easier to install on the D300 than the D500 or D700, probably because of the different chip architecture.

Having said that, I was able to get the 15.4 Beta to work on my nMP with D500s, but the performance in crossfire in Dragon Age Inquisition and Dying Light was so bad, and there were so many unexplained crashes (while installing GTAV) that I reverted (with some difficulty) to the Omega drivers and am currently playing GTAV fine, with crossfire disabled (albeit with overclocking...). I would like to hear if anyone else has been able to make the 15.4 Beta work reliably on the D500 or D700s. For information's sake: I was able to get them to install by replacing not merely the "installmanager" .dll and .exe but the entire Bin64 directory with the Bin64 directory from the December bootcamp drivers ... and then by uninstalling Catalyst Control Centre and reinstalling a previous version ... very tricky.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
I don't think he's talking about the Omega (December) driver. I think he's talking about the 15.4 BETA driver which seems to be easier to install on the D300 than the D500 or D700, probably because of the different chip architecture.

Having said that, I was able to get the 15.4 Beta to work on my nMP with D500s, but the performance in crossfire in Dragon Age Inquisition and Dying Light was so bad, and there were so many unexplained crashes (while installing GTAV) that I reverted (with some difficulty) to the Omega drivers and am currently playing GTAV fine, with crossfire disabled (albeit with overclocking...). I would like to hear if anyone else has been able to make the 15.4 Beta work reliably on the D500 or D700s. For information's sake: I was able to get them to install by replacing not merely the "installmanager" .dll and .exe but the entire Bin64 directory with the Bin64 directory from the December bootcamp drivers ... and then by uninstalling Catalyst Control Centre and reinstalling a previous version ... very tricky.

I got the 15.4 Beta drivers working with D700's and GTA 5 Now works perfectly in crossfire. yay, I also followed this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1866962/

tinguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
Italy
i had to replace three files for it to work or it would crash during the hardware scan.

InstallManagerApp
InstallManager.dll

AND

PackageManager.dll

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.