Huge problem with Late 2009 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by RallPollok, Mar 9, 2011.

1. RallPollok macrumors newbie

I've been having a big problem with my Mini as of late. I'm running both Windows 7 and OSX Snow Leopard. At one time I needed to switch into Win7 and when I tried going back into OSX it would hang at the apple logo with a spinning cog (I think that's what people call it) underneath. I could still boot into windows, so I thought I'd make an Ubuntu disc to see if I could backup all my stuff via a live CD. None of those discs worked, and it was probably a mistake on my part, now windows won't boot.

So, now I just figured I'd try to use the disk utility from the Snow Leopard install disk, as that's what I've been seeing online. No dice. I would select the snow leopard disc from the boot camp menu, it would hang at the apple logo, then turn into a cross. Now the same thing happens when I try to boot the snow leopard hard disk.

I've tried safe mode, single user mode (keeps saying it can't "enumerate" a device or something), and booting the original leopard disc that came with my mini.

If you need more info or need me to be more specific on something, I'll provide you with the information. If the hard drive is shot, or the whole Mini itself, it's fine. I really just want to know what's going on at this point.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Hold C and boot from the original mac install discs and see if that works.

This should let you re-select your boot drive and see if you can the computer booting again or at the very least figure out what is wrong.

Cheers

3. RallPollok thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing ... pretty much any key I press takes me to the apple logo, a spinning cog, then a crossed circle. The only exception is the boot camp menu. Windows is still having the same problem and as of now I've tried a windows xp disc, that won't boot either.

I'm getting a spare hard drive from someone's macbook pro to try in my mini. If that doesn't work I'm convinced my mini is just screwed.

4. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

5. philipma1957, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

do you have an external usb drive with a working clone of osx to boot from. If not baaaad mac mini owner. . This goes for everyone that owns a mac. Myself included.

It is about 25 bucks to have one. All you would need to do is power the mini off. Pulling the plug if need. plug the working usb hdd into a usb jack and power the mini on the mini should search for a while and find the usb drive then boot from it.

everyone with a mac should have a piece of gear like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermaltake-Bla...ge_Internal&hash=item2a0897d9ff#ht_2242wt_969

uses any sata 2.5 or 3.5 inch drive. clone your osx with superduper or carbon copy cloner... then use it when something f's up. My best guess is the internal drive is corrupted if you booted it with an external osx you could see if it is repairable or needs to be replaced. lets hope your friend has an osx that works with your mini.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Mine went screwy like this too. Reset the PRAM. Remember to hold down the keys until you hear the second boot chim.

That did the trick for me.

7. RallPollok thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried an external DVD drive actually. It gave me the same results when using the drive in the mini.

Having an external HD for osx was something I was planning on doing once I got this running again. My friend is actually going to bring over an external with OSX on it.

The mini did seem to reset the PRAM, but the problem still persists.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The new disc has to be at least the version the mini shipped with.
    If it shipped with 10.6.3, you can't use a launch date 10.6.0 disc, so make sure the version is correct, or this might happen.