Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a report that video site Hulu might be making its way to the iPad generated a significant amount of interest, with many users excited about the prospect of free access to television content on Apple's forthcoming tablet device. MediaMemo reports, however, that iPad access to Hulu is more likely to come as part of a paid subscription package than as free access like the computer-based version of the site.
Hulu and its owners -- three of the big broadcast TV networks -- want to bring some version of the Web video service to Apple's device.

But the most likely scenario is one where access to Hulu on the iPad comes as part of a subscription package, multiple people familiar with the company tell me.
Hulu has in the past noted that it is looking for a way to introduce paid content to its offerings, and today's report indicates that company executives may be thinking that the best way to achieve that goal while preserving the free experience for computer-based users is to charge for mobile-based content such as that which would appear on the iPad.
And while you could argue that the iPad isn't necessarily a mobile device, since 3G Internet access is an optional feature, Hulu and its owners are likely to classify it as one. Like many other content owners, the video service sees the device as an opportunity to charge for something it has been giving away for free on the Web.
Aside from the previously-documented hurdle Hulu faces with its current video player being Flash-based and Apple's mobile devices not supporting the standard, the company would also need to secure mobile rights from content providers before being able to offer such a service to the iPad and other mobile platforms.

Consequently, the report concludes that Hulu for the iPad is unlikely to launch alongside the device itself next month, but users can probably expect in some form, likely paid, in the future.

Article Link: Hulu for iPad Likely to Be a Paid Subscription Service

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
While I like the iPad idea, multiple subscriptions for content will start to add up. I'm not gonna end up with $300 a month in various subscriptions just to get content on my iPad.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Paid subscription for something I can get for free on television and a computer. Ich don't think so.

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
This is stupid..

I mean seriously, RETARDED... Aren't laptops "mobile devices" as well. I love how just because apple creates a game changer, then people discriminate on what it is or isn't. If Hulu wants to charge, they should charge across the entire platform.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Honestly... just lol...

Newspaper subscription(s)...

Hulu subscription...

3G payments...

App Store...

iBooks...

Hezuz only knows what other subscription(s)...

Disaster!

Forget it... :apple:

jimsong

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
If only Apple would allow Flash, this wouldn't be a problem. Free Hulu all you want.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
So first I have to pay just to get 3G access. Then they want me to pay again for content access? All these monthly bills start to add up, for something I can get for free in the wild. No thx. iPad fail.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'd pay what it's worth to me... about $2 - $4 a month. ...but there better not be any commercials in there if they're going to charge.

I personally think charging for the mobile version and letting the assumed desktop version remain free is backwards.

How often are you going to be watching entire TV shows when you're out & about? If they're going to charge anyone, it ought to be people who use it as a TV replacement, being, fullscreen on a nice big monitor in your home, for hours and hours at a time.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I mean seriously, RETARDED... Aren't laptops "mobile devices" as well. I love how just because apple creates a game changer, then people discriminate on what it is or isn't. If Hulu wants to charge, they should charge across the entire platform.

Totally agree. You can't offer the same exact thing for free on other platforms... Where's the incentive to subscribe?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Heh. Can we say "paradigm shift"?

Looks like we're all going to go to the subscription model for online content now. It inevitable, of course.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
If only Apple would allow Flash, this wouldn't be a problem. Free Hulu all you want.

That’s not true at all. Hulu specifically blocks all mobile phone platforms at the moment and even game consoles like the PS3. :rolleyes: Even media center software like Boxee and other XMBC flavors are violating Hulu’s terms of service by allowing users to download plug-ins for watching Hulu content.

Hulu’s owners don’t want the regular Hulu service to be on anything but your PC or Mac.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands

Excuse me? Apple forces Hulu to invest in another way to bring the content to the iPad. They already have a functional platform, but Apple won't support it because it's based on Flash. Now they have to invest money to build something new, specially for the iPad.

Thanks to your beloved Steve Jobs!

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I think I'd consider it if the price is low enough. I hate my cable service and I am seriously trying to find a way out.

That's the thing about the iPad, you can have as much or as little as you like and still enjoy the experience.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Really. Hulu has been hemorrhaging cash. How much longer do you think Hulu is going to be free? Maybe they can use a subscription service to finance a stripped-down free service, but it's gonna be stripped down and nothing like what's available now. And with Hulu going that direction, so will all the others. Subscription is going to be the only game in town guys.

Oct 22 2009 11:40 AM ET

Hulu to start charging in 2010
by Adam Markovitz
Categories: News, Tech, Television

At an industry summit in NYC on Oct. 21, News Corp Deputy Chairman Chase Carey revealed that online video hub Hulu will begin charging users for content as soon as 2010, according to Broadcasting and Cable. Carey told reporters that a subscription system is likely, although some content will probably continue to be offered free of charge. “I think a free model is a very difficult way to capture the value of our content. I think what we need to do is deliver that content to consumers in a way where they will appreciate the value,” he said.

Heh. Makes you wonder how long Hulu and Apple have been discussing this...

/

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
if its gonna be ad free then a subscription makes sense, otherwise you're paying for something free on a laptop with ads... hulu fail!

maehara

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Ignoring the small detail of Hulu not being available in the UK anyway...

I can as easily hold my MBA on my lap while lounging on the sofa as I can an iPad. Not going to pay to watch content on the latter that's free on the former, as I really can't see the added value they're expecting me to pay for.

Not that this will stop me from buying an iPad either, mind you.. :)

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
wow this is ridiculous. I was all gung-ho about buying an ipad, but now I'm thinking a more capable, cheaper netbook might be the way to go.

So Apple wants me to buy their product at a premium, pay a premium for free services, and get a device that merely looks good?

At this point, it's impossible for me to justify this purchase.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Hulu and similar offerings will be paid services soon enough for all users. The idea that if it is on the net it must be free is rapidly going away as business reality takes over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.