• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Hulu Plus Coming to Roku and TiVo Premiere: Apple TV Next?

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

164625-hulu_plus_tv.jpg

Roku and TiVo today announced that they are bringing support for Hulu Plus subscriptions to their set-top boxes, leading to speculation that a similar deal could eventually be struck for the new Apple TV. The service, which requires an additional $9.99-per-month subscription, will launch on Roku and TiVo Premiere boxes within the next few months.
Hulu Plus offers one of the deepest offerings of current TV shows on a streaming platform to subscribers in the U.S., including every episode of more than 45 current hit programs from ABC, FOX and NBC like Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy, Glee, Family Guy, The Office and 30 Rock. In addition, TV lovers with TiVo Premiere DVRs will be able to enjoy full series runs and numerous back seasons of dozens of classic shows like The X-Files, Law and Order: SVU, Arrested Development, Saturday Night Live, Miami Vice, Ugly Betty, Quantum Leap, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Roswell and Ally McBeal.
Hulu Plus launched on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch earlier this year, and so it seems reasonable to speculate that a version for the iOS-based Apple TV could be in the works. While Apple's AirPlay technology set for public release with iOS 4.2 in November will allow users to stream video content from their portable iOS devices to the new Apple TV, it is unclear whether Hulu, which has been selective in the platforms on which it allows its content to be used, will be compatible with AirPlay. Regardless of Hulu's AirPlay compatibility, however, native support for Hulu Plus on Apple TV would be a significant feature addition for the new device.

Article Link: Hulu Plus Coming to Roku and TiVo Premiere: Apple TV Next?

Comment

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Has anyone checked out Roku's latest lineup? The XDS is a tough competitor to the ATV, especially since you can stream content from various providers. And now, they are bringing Hulu Plus to it:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/roku-adds-hulu-plus-channel/

If Roku's Hulu has same content as the Hulu app on iPad/iPhone, then no thanks. I tried Hulu for a month on my iDevices, but was extremely disappointed due to lack of content that was even available for free on hulu website.

Comment

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
$10 a month for basically no selection of TV shows with ads? Sorry but I'm going to have to pass.

I don't care if the price increases, drop the ads and increase the selection to have basically all of the shows from the major networks.

Comment

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
$10/month plus ads, you can keep it. Let me know when we can get BBC player in the US. I'd pay $10+ for that.

Comment

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
$10/mo plus ads? forget it. I'll keep my cable at $60 + ads. ...wait a second...

Comment

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Kicking myself for getting that Blu Ray player now (Sony S570) which still says "Hulu Coming Soon" on it.

Love Hulu. Eager to use Hulu Plus to watch TV on my actual TV!

Comment

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Isn't a problem for most.

But it's a problem for Hulu Plus.

Wouldn't the existing Hulu and Netflix apps use Quicktime to stream to the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch?

Netflix, yes. Hulu, no. (I suspect Hulu could add some sort of custom support for AirPlay. But will they?)

I tried Hulu for a month on my iDevices, but was extremely disappointed due to lack of content that was even available for free on hulu website.

It'll get better over time, as they renegotiate their content deals for their new Hulu Plus service.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
$10/mo plus ads? forget it. I'll keep my cable at $60 + ads. ...wait a second...

Someone that gets it... I just got my TiVo last week, so this is great news. Dropping DirecTV and using Hulu+, Netflix and over the air for local stuff. It will be about $50 a month. Savings of almost $50.

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
$10 a month without advertisements = yes.
$10 a month with advertisements = no.

Why am I paying $10 a month with ads?
If Netflix had ads, I would drop 'em.

Comment

mickeyd26

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
For most people, Hulu+ for $10 per month probably doesn't make sense... But for me, I'm rarely home and don't have cable/satellite or DVR service. So to have access to all the network TV shows, it's an OK deal. I'd prefer no ads, but for now, it's better than paying for cable/satellite.

Just my opinion.

Comment

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
AirPlay = All video apps on iDevices will stream to AppleTV.

ONLY for those who own another iDevice. ONLY if that iDevice is present (what happens if dad is the only one in the family with an iphone and he's gone? kids can't watch hulu on the apple tv)
If AirPlay is your answer for Hulu than what is the point of Netflix built into the AppleTV? after all....AirPlay.

Comment

sterno74

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Cheaper than cable

I used to have cable to the tune of like $80-90/month. Instead I now have:

Netflix: $9/month
Hulu Plus: $10/month

So roughly $20/month rather than $80-90/month and I'm kept pretty well entertained. Sure I can't get some shows through Netflix or Hulu, but who cares? If I really want the show (Mad Men) then I'll pay for it.

Oh and as a side note the new AppleTV is way too late to the party. It's basically the same concept as Roku when you get down to it.

Comment

eldervovichka

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
For most people, Hulu+ for $10 per month probably doesn't make sense... But for me, I'm rarely home and don't have cable/satellite or DVR service. So to have access to all the network TV shows, it's an OK deal. I'd prefer no ads, but for now, it's better than paying for cable/satellite.

Just my opinion.

I agree we just got ride of DirecTV because we were not watching enough TV, but adding Hulu+ to our new AppleTV would be perfect for our family. For $10 a month we will get all the shows we would want to watch!

Jeff

Comment

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Just to let people know, the shows that are available on regular Hulu (watching for free from your computer) are mostly NOT available on Hulu Plus.

Comment

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Free!

Why we have to pay $10 when you can actually go to Hulu.com or download the MacOSX application and watch it for free. I'm not familiar with the Hulu premium are the contents are actually premium? For $10 a month with ads is just too much especially that you know that you can access it for free on PC. They could have just sold the iOS and sell more, the more people watch the better their ads exposed to the viewers. If I'm going to advertise my product to Hulu I'm gonna look for the number of viewers (downloaders), not how much your viewers paid.

Comment

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Someone that gets it... I just got my TiVo last week, so this is great news. Dropping DirecTV and using Hulu+, Netflix and over the air for local stuff. It will be about $50 a month. Savings of almost $50.

I don't pay for cable either. I'll stream Netflix and iTunes without ads. So, at least I'm not a hypocrite.

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I just downgraded my Netflix subscription from 5 to 3 at a time. So, with the $13 I saved, I'd be happy to pay hulu $10 a month, as long as it works on :apple:TV.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Why we have to pay $10 when you can actually go to Hulu.com or download the MacOSX application and watch it for free. I'm not familiar with the Hulu premium are the contents are actually premium? For $10 a month with ads is just too much especially that you know that you can access it for free on PC. They could have just sold the iOS and sell more, the more people watch the better their ads exposed to the viewers. If I'm going to advertise my product to Hulu I'm gonna look for the number of viewers (downloaders), not how much your viewers paid.

There are a lot more shows on + and whole seasons of shows

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Just to let people know, the shows that are available on regular Hulu (watching for free from your computer) are mostly NOT available on Hulu Plus.

How do you find out what's available on the Plus service?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.