Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hulu today introduced its Hulu Plus premium subscription plan for television content, set to offer customers willing to pay $9.99 per month the ability to access an extensive array of both current television shows and older library content. Hulu Plus, offering content in 720p HD, is also set to move beyond the company's existing computer-centric platform to include Apple's full line of iOS devices, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, with streaming available over Wi-Fi and 3G. Samsung Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players will also be supported at launch, with additional support for Vizio and Sony devices, as well as the PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming platforms, rolling out in the future.
Hulu Plus is not a replacement for Hulu.com. Hulu Plus is a new, revolutionary ad-supported subscription product that is incremental and complementary to the existing Hulu service. For almost all of the current broadcast shows on our service, Hulu Plus offers the full season. Every single episode of the current season will be available, not just a handful of trailing episodes. Now there's never a bad time to jump in on a hot new show like Modern Family (which I recommend highly). From Family Guy to Glee, from The Office to 30 Rock, from Grey's Anatomy to Desperate Housewives, from Parks & Recreation to Parenthood, from House to Saturday Night Live, and dozens of other hits, the best time to jump in on any series is any time, and with any episode, that's right for you.
Hulu is currently accepting requests for preview invitations to Hulu Plus. The program appears to be rolling out today, although the Hulu Plus application does not yet appear to have been posted to the App Store and it is unclear exactly when preview invitations will begin being distributed. A full, public release date for Hulu Plus is also not yet known.

Article Link: 'Hulu Plus' Unveiled With Support for iOS Devices: $9.99 Per Month

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I'd be quite happy to pay $9.99 a month.. but ads too? No thanks.
I'll stick to NetFlix + Free Hulu.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
IF I can log into it on all my mutiple devices and stay logged in...then ok.
And IF the ads are spaced like TV ads but are less than 60 seconds...then ok.

That's not a bad price if those conditions are met.

But if the ads are just like TV ads and whenever I log into it on my phone it kicks my wife off...then this isn't going to work for me.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
Ads?

$9.99 a month with ads? Does it have all the content from Hulu.com? Sounds like they are getting greedy. Give me ads or give me a fee...not both.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
$9.99 a month with ads? Does it have all the content from Hulu.com? Sounds like they are getting greedy. Give me ads or give me a fee...not both.

So you've never bought a magazine? A newspaper? A DVD?

I'm not saying you've gotta like it, but most things are "pay + ads." Is anyone surprised by one more?

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009

I'm not saying you've gotta like it, but most things are "pay + ads." Is anyone surprised by one more?

This is a good point, but I think most of us were thinking that if Hulu was going to a fee structure and the fact that they are calling it premium that it would be ad free.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
pay ten bucks a month to watch TV on a mobiles device and be subject to their irritating advertisements?

Ahhhhhhhh, nope!

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I'll get this. The ads are so scarce and this is so much cheaper than TV that it's worth it. PS3+MLB+Netflix+Hulu=awesome media center.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is a good point, but I think most of us were thinking that if Hulu was going to a fee structure and the fact that they are calling it premium that it would be ad free.

Hey, I'm not opposed to complaining about it. No one should like it.

But most people here aren't so much complaining as they seem to be more surprised than anything. That's what I find kind of odd. This is pretty normal stuff.

EDIT: Mad Mac: Ohh! Cable! Another good one.

EDIT 2: It also comes down to what's on here. It's most of the U.S. networks, right? I can't pay $10 for every freak'n network, but if they eventually get up to several networks then it starts to become much more useful.

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
"Hulu Plus is a new, revolutionary ad-supported subscription product..."

If it's ad supported then WTF do they want you to pay $9.99 per month. No thanks. If I were to pay for subscription TV then I do not want ads.

No deal.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Here is the difference --

Ads in a magazine or newspaper, and some DVDs, I can easily skip over. However ads in Hulu are locked. You can't skip over them. Now when they are giving free product as they currently do, fair enough. No complaint. But when I'm paying $10 then they need to at least allow me to skip the ad if I don't want to watch it.

gcaldwel

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks but but no thanks

I have Netflix , I pay a monthly subscription fee for and no adds, why should I pay for ads from Hulu Plus.

G-

iPhoneFour

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I'll support it to help kill flash

"But without flash you can't watch HULU"!

Do the haters ever get tired of being wrong or just marginalized?

DIE FLASH DIE.

I'll gladly pay 10 a month to help kill flash - GLADLY.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My ultimate goal is to be able to pay $10 a month for the basic networks and then have iTunes rent me cable shows (like Psych and Top Chef) that I can keep for 2 days. I'm ok with ads on all of these.

Both the $10 service and the rentals should play on my iPhones, Macs, and Apple TV.

Once we're at that point, I'm happy. (Only some of this is possible now. I still pay for cable. I don't want to pay for cable.)

So Hulu+ is not gonna do much for me all by itself (I won't pay for it AND cable and I can't ditch cable yet) but I'm pleased to see it since it's one more brick in the wall I eventually want to see.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
$9.99 works for me. the adverts are short, targeted (mostly) and only one at a time. that's acceptable to me, if they abuse that and start introducing 2-3 minutes of ads per break then i'll reevaluate. it's sure as hell a lot cheaper than cable and a lot more convenient too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.