Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Why do I feel like one of the major providers - Comcast, Verizon, or DirecTv - will come out with something similar to this, but will allow for live streaming television content.

Oh how I wish. :rolleyes:

It's coming as TV Anywhere, TV Everywhere or whatever the provider decides to call it. That'll be the hook that keeps you subscribing (watch ESPNHD on your big-screen HD television when you're at home and on your iPad or whatever when you're not).

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
"Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free."

I didn't write their slogan.

You didn't answer my question... at all. You should slow down and read before you post.

Hulu Plus opens up all episodes of a current season and previous seasons. Traditional Hulu limits you to five of the most recent episodes.

Is it really that hard to understand?

Zc456

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
Hulu Plus is a new, revolutionary ad-supported subscription

Hulu, this isn't cable. Your an on-demand service. The reason your site is free is because of ads. If your gonna offer a subscription-based service now, you should take them out since your bound to make enough money off it alone to pay for hosting, ect. :)

Compared to Netflix, which offers TV Shows too, is subscription-based service from the start. So it has no need for ads since the monthly fee pays for the service.

stationstops

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
For $189 you can connect a slingbox to your DVR and watch anything without a monthly fee.

The thing about Hulu is, I sit down with it and have a little mini-marathon and then I have exhausted everything I want to watch on it for another month or two, then have another mini-marathon.

I could not pay a monthly for it.

slothy420

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Wonderful, another subscription service, and only $10 a month? Just what everyone needs, more monthly payments. Don't forget to add on the extra fee that AT&T will charge when you use up your month's worth of data after watching one movie. No thank you.

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Still no invites?

I signed up 5 minutes after this was posted. I had several friends sign up as well. So far no one that I know has received an invitation.Can anyone confirm whether this is actually happening?

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Why is Hulu offing an app when you can's subscribe to the service? Seems kind of strange becuase they can hold the app from the Apple store till they are ready to go. It's going to make people angry if they don't let people subscribe soon!

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Why is Hulu offing an app when you can's subscribe to the service? Seems kind of strange becuase they can hold the app from the Apple store till they are ready to go. It's going to make people angry if they don't let people subscribe soon!

There are many institutions out there reviewing the site right now (Engadget, MSNBC, etc.) who need access to the apps.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
I really don't think that the Hulu video selection is that great.

I would hope that other broadcasters follow the ABC lead and introduce their own apps.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Has anyone received their goddamn Hulu Plus invite yet?

Jesus Christ, I signed up 1 1/2 hours after it was debuted.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I signed up, nothing yet

I haven't gotten mine either and i signed up twice with 2 Different e-mail addresses. I signed up the second time because i found a referral code on goggle hoping that would trigger an invite.

Alas it did not, They are most likely waiting untill they get enough requests and then will disperse invites at that time.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
The reason most people haven't gotten an invite yet is because of all the bad PR they had after this announcement. They're probably working on a better marketing approach or changing their prices.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
It's coming as TV Anywhere, TV Everywhere or whatever the provider decides to call it. That'll be the hook that keeps you subscribing (watch ESPNHD on your big-screen HD television when you're at home and on your iPad or whatever when you're not).

Well comcast or Xfinity offers this now thru their website if you subcribe to the channels and are a comcast customer. Even if comcast offered an iPad/iPhone access to this. It would be limited only to comcast markets they couldn't offer this to people with time warner,charter,cox etc since they dont offer service in those markets.

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Still no invite

Signed up June 29 and still no invite. Shame. Sounds like they don't have their **** together over there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.