Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hulu has updated its Hulu Plus app for iOS with a brand new look, new navigation options and in-app subscriptions, allowing users to subscribe to the service and create Hulu Plus accounts within the app.

huluplus.png
What's New in Version 4.0.0
- Home - Best content of the day on Hulu, handpicked and curated by our expert editorial team
- Shows You Watch - Easy access to all the shows you are currently watching, personalized to your viewing habits
- Navigation - Discover the entire breadth of the Hulu catalogue from TV, Movies, Kids, Latino, British and Hulu Originals
- Player - Brand new player with cleaner controls and a nested menu for rich features like captions, share and cast to TV
- Action Tray - Quick access to search, queue and cast to TV features from anywhere in the app
- Search - Reimagined search with contextually grouped results by category
- Remote control - stream and control your viewing experience on the big screen via Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox1, PS3 and PS4
- Share - Share your favorite videos with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, text and email
In 2011, Hulu had complied with Apple's rule to remove links to external mechanisms for subscriptions as well as the ability to sign up for accounts. The rule forced developers to use iOS' in-app subscription feature and granting Apple 30 percent of the subscription fee. However, as GigaOm notes, it's likely Hulu has realized that the ability to gain subscribers from mobile users is more important than giving 30 percent of its mobile subscriber fee to Apple.

Additionally, the apps are also now optimized for iOS 8, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Hulu Plus is a free app available in the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Hulu Updates 'Hulu Plus' with New Look, In-App Subscriptions

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I will never support Hulu. Such a ripoff having to pay to watch shows that they broadcast for free over the air. Especially stupid that even after you pay you have to watch the same amount of ads. Screw you Hulu!

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I have a love hate relationship with Hulu. I hate them because they show you ads even if you're a paid member, and 50% of their catalog is just low-level television trash, but I love them because of their criterion collection access

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I will never support Hulu. Such a ripoff having to pay to watch shows that they broadcast for free over the air. Especially stupid that even after you pay you have to watch the same amount of ads. Screw you Hulu!

hmmmm, maybe like cable? Except much less money per month and more ads...

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Just watch less TV. Cut your cable subscription and don't pay for Netflix. If you really want to watch something legally, go to your public library and get TV seasons for free.

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
I use Hulu plus as I can't afford cable an I'm usually not home when these shows air. I wish it was cheaper for what you get.

That being said I'm not a fan of the new interface. It makes it clunkier to navigate around an to get to your subscriptions.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Let me guess... if your device has a Ctrl key, a lot of content (such as current network shows) is free; but if you do NOT have a Ctrl key, you have to pay for EVERYTHING?

I'm not interested in this app until that absurdity changes. Crackle, the ABC and Fox apps, PBS, YouTube, etc. etc. all send the same content to ANY device, with the same paywall if any, without caring whether it's a traditional 1900s-style computer or a touch-based one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I watch shows on hulu plus a lot, but having to pay for it with tons of ads is obnoxious.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Let me guess... if your device has a Ctrl key, a lot of content (such as current network shows) is free; but if you do NOT have a Ctrl key, you have to pay for EVERYTHING?

I'm not interested in this app until that absurdity changes. Crackle, the ABC and Fox apps, PBS, YouTube, etc. etc. all send the same content to ANY device, with the same paywall if any, without caring whether it's a traditional 1900s-style computer or a touch-based one.

what?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Bricked my account and now 'I'm too young to watch certain content'.

Can't change/add birth year in either iOS or safari or Firefox on MacBook pro.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
If Hulu offered ad-free option, I would get it.

But most likely, it'll cost more (around $15) as Hulu Premium.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hulu Plus was billed as "Plus" because you get a lot of extra content that you couldn't get on the web, like a backlog of episodes. Now on shows like Modern Family I can't even finish the last episode of last season with my wife that we didn't finish the other week, because a new season just started. Yay, paying and watching ads to have access to two episodes of a show. Fantastic! They should be aware that many of us are on the verge of dropping them.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Whatever happened to free Hulu viewing on mobile devices? On April 30 2014, Hulu's CEO promised:
That is why this summer, we will begin delivering a selection of ad-supported full TV episodes on mobile devices– for free. (Until now, viewers have been able to access Hulu’s free service only on the desktop). With our re-imagining of mobile viewing, we want you, our viewers, to have more access to the content you love, right at your fingertips. Additionally, later this summer, we will be launching the next generation of the Hulu Plus iPhone app.

zoonyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northern England
It's not obsolete for us in the UK ;)

They've just made it much easier to buy via iTunes vouchers on my already-active US iTunes account, rather than faffing with a pre-paid US-reg mastercard.

Cheers Hulu! I owe you one!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They won't start caring until you actually do.

We are likely going to cancel once my wife finishes one of her shows. I find myself caring less and less about new TV programs. Usually the new TV programs that are actually smart or interesting end up getting cancelled because the general public is too dumb to appreciate them. The few that make it through I'll just catch later on Netflix or rent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Netflix should negotiate an unlimited tier with all the major players. Basically the consumer pays $50-70/mo for unlimited access to every movie and TV show ever made, streamed on-demand in 1080p. Even make us sign a contract for a year or two, I don't care. It's still cheaper than most cable contracts and tons of people would sign up for it. Although anti-net neutrality rules would probably allow the cable companies to shut down such streaming services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.