Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hulu's anticipated live television service, which was rumored in the past few weeks to launch in early May, has appeared on the iOS App Store [Direct Link] in beta form. Users interested in signing up for the service can adjust their membership and subscribe to live TV from the account and add-on section of Hulu.com.

Officially named "Hulu with Live TV," the company said that this version of the app comes with cloud DVR and the ability to stream more than 50 live and on-demand television channels, including sports-related content.

hulu-live-3.jpg

User interface changes include a new onboarding experience, a new home screen, and "My Stuff," so subscribers can manage their shows, movies, networks, and more. A multitasking feature called "Fliptray" will let users watch a show and browse Hulu with Live TV simultaneously.
You'll enjoy features that help you customize how you watch TV:
- Create up to 6 personalized profiles for the whole household. Enjoy your own collection of shows, movies, networks, and more.
- Track your favorites with My Stuff. Add shows, networks, and movies for quick access across your devices.
- The more you watch, the better it gets. Enjoy a reimagined TV experience that adjusts to your tastes every time you use Hulu.
- Browse while you watch with Fliptray to quickly find what else is on, change the channel, or get recommendations of what to watch next.
At launch, Hulu with Live TV has the following channels that subscribers will be able to watch live: FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, FX, NBCSN, FS1, History Channel, and TNT. Certain limitations exist for channels in specific areas, meaning some users will only be able to access on-demand content for major networks like ABC and CBS instead of live streams. Potential subscribers can check out the channels accessible in their area through Hulu's live TV launch page.

Additionally, sports coverage for pro, college, and regional teams will be on the service, along with national news and local feeds in some cities, kids shows, big events, and on-demand shows and movies from most of the supported channels.

Those interested can download Hulu with Live TV now from the iOS App Store in the United States [Direct Link], as well as on Apple TV. It's clear that the app was added onto the App Store ahead of an official announcement, so we'll update this post once more information becomes available.

Update: Pricing for Hulu with Live TV can be found on Hulu.com in the add-on section of the account page. There, it's confirmed that the basic service will cost $39.99/month, while the plan which removes commercials from on-demand content will cost an additional $4/month. Both of these options come with all of the previously mentioned channels, the ability to stream on 2 screens at a time, and 50 hours of cloud DVR storage.

hulu-live-7.jpg

Feature add-ons area also available, allowing users to upgrade their cloud DVR to 200 hours of storage with the ability to fast-forward through commercials (presumably absent from the basic DVR) for an additional $14.99/month. Subscribers will also be able to add unlimited simultaneous viewing on as many screens as they want for $14.99/month. If both are purchased, $10 can be saved.

In terms of free trials, users will be able to try out Hulu with Live TV for one week before having to pay, and each of the feature add-ons can be tested for one month before users are charged.

Article Link: 'Hulu With Live TV' Appears on App Store, Includes FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, and More [Update: $39.99+]

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
"Cloud DVR" lol. So basically the'll reserve a server to bookmark your progress and charge an extra $20 for it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is actually some arcane regulation that forces them to make thousands of copies on request. As dumb as that sounds. Like Aereo's thousands of literal antennas in server farms.

Reactions: Jdmr1701

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Ironic that Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is used in the promo pic as it's about to be canceled.

edit: remember people that Hulu is the legacy TV industry's trojan horse to keep you from moving to disruptive technology, don't fall for it.
I wish I was sadder about that, but this season has been super uninteresting to me :(

Reactions: madbard

B.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
Does this include commercials? Or is this a commercial free with commercials type Hulu agreement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan--

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The app mentions support for the fourth-generation Apple TV as well, but at the time of writing that version hasn't appeared yet on Apple's set-top box
I would normally not be interested in this type of service, but once it comes to the ATV, I might give it a try for a month just to test it out. I have family members that are always complaining about cable prices, but don't want to cut to cord do to missing out on live TV.

Maybe this might be a good compromise for them.

You can get the network live programming just by putting up an antennae.
Not all people can get good reception with an antenna, plus, you have to have an antenna.

Everybody with live tv....except :apple:
Pretty ironic, considering a few years ago it seemed it would be Apple that was destined to have a TV service like this first. Everyone else is doing it, and Apple's TV service is hardly rumored about anymore.

Reactions: BlueGummiBear

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is there a good term for these types of services yet (Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue)? They're not quite on-demand streaming (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo) but they're not quite traditional cable either (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) I like calling them Cable over IP, or CoIP for short.

Who is Cable over IP for? It looks to be no cheaper than traditional cable [EDIT: Many have pointed out it is cheaper than cable in some situations], but certainly buggier and more complex. It's still chock full of ads. And it has none of the benefits of on-demand streaming. I cannot think of a single reason to buy into this entire category.

I'll stick with my Netflix, Hulu Commercial Free, HBOGo mix of products.

Last edited:

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
So its still a little confusing, Ill have to check this out once more details are out but it sounds like hulu commercial-free plus live tv for $44. Thats not bad as its currently $12/mo as is. Directv now has a few quirky limitations Id like to see are not present in hulu. Can I pause/rewind/fastforward live tv like a tivo for example.

Id like to see a mini review from MR if you folks can do it.

Reactions: akuma13

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Youtube tv is the better deal, $35 and free unlimited DVR. Hopefully Youtube tv adds xbox support soon.

jw154j

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
Denison, KS
You CAN sign up at Hulu.com for live TV $39.99 or $43.99 (no commercials) both come with 1 week trial, 50 hrs DVR, & 2 simultaneous screens. Can upgrade to 200 hrs DVR with fast-forward through commercials: $14.99; unlimited Screens: $14.99; both upgrades for $19.98. All channels are live except where noted, for zipCode: 66614 (Kansas)
A&E, ABC (on Demand), Boomerang, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CBS on Demand, Chiller, CNBC, CNN, CNNi, Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD, Sprout, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Food, Fox on Demand, FOX Business, FOX News, FS1, FS2, FS Kansas City, FSKC Plus, FreeForm, FX, FXX, FXMovie, fyi, Golf, HGTV, HLN, lifetime, lifetime movies, MSNBC, NatGeo, NatGeo Wild, NBC, NBC Sports, oxygen, POP, SEC Network, Syfy, tbs, History, TCM, TNT, travel, truTV, USA, Viceland.
Showtime additional $8.99
Devices: Android, iOS, Xbox One, Apple TV 4th gen, and Chromecast.

(Lowest package)--Live TV (limited Commercials)= $39.99
(Highest package)--Live TV (No Commercials); Showtime; 200 Hrs DVR; Unlimited Screens= $72.96

Last edited:

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
I don't understand why I'd want this. $40 a month for live TV when I can get the programming for those channels almost everywhere--and sometimes for free? You can get the network live programming just by putting up an antennae.

There are millions of people who live overseas who with a VPN or SmatDNS can access Hulu or Sling or otherwise get access to American TV. This is great for expats.

Reactions: Darkwalker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.