Humpback Whales now being hunted

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewMacGirl, Nov 19, 2007.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Sorry to get political but the Japanese have just resumed hunting for Humpback whales . I was lucky eough to see two humbacks breaching when I joined a whale watching trip from Sydney in June- it was a beautiful afternoon and its sad to think that the mother and calf we saw could well not see out the year.

Please help, as I said, I'm not a political animal but this (like most Australians) gets to me big time.

Spread the word, put a message or logo on your websites or blogs (that's how I discovered IFAW's website)

Thanks
    New Mac Girl, Sydney, Australia

http://www.stopwhaling.org/site/c.f...ow__International_Fund_for_Animal_Welfare.htm

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I thought the USS Enterprise did something to stop that back in the 80s.

Seriously - I usually regard the Japanese as a fairly intelligent species.

Then they start this again? WTF.

If any country should appreciate conservation - it's Japan - or are they forgetting about all the natural resources they DON'T HAVE on that island?

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I think there's too much double standards over what animals get hunted/eaten. If you've not a meat eater fair enough, but if you eat cows and sheep etc then what's the difference?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you joking? You can't possibly be saying that hunting whales that were on the brink of extinction is the same thing as farming cattle and sheep for food? :rolleyes:

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

6. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Whales are endangered and they die a cruel and agonising death. cows are slaughtered relatively humanely in comparison.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just the numbers and conservation thing to me blows the cows bit out entirely.

When the Japanese start raising their own Humpback whales by the million, feeding and isolating them from the wild Whale population - your arguement might hold a little ground.

But as is - that is no comparison whatsoever.

8. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, its made the front page of the Times in the UK too.

Headline:

Japanese whalers raise stakes by targeting vulnerable humpbacks
    to quote one part of the article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/global/

9. Queso macrumors G4

I'm going to boycott all Japanese products until this stops. No Wii for us this Christmas, the Blu-Ray player is out, and my next motorbike will be a European brand (most likely a Triumph).

10. iGav macrumors G3

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

how is one death more cruel than another?

but this is very sad. i like animals

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just about every death is cruel to an extent - because every creature has the instinct to survive.

Though - some deaths are more "humane" than others. A 30 minute puncture-wound / blood loss death I could imagine is worse off than a cow getting bled.

But - as much as I hate them - Scorpions are eaten alive by people - and many don't think twice because they're just "creepy bugs"...

Let's not forget our supermarket chicken abortions we purchase by the dozen.

We do have a lot of double standards when it comes to this.

13. Queso macrumors G4

A quick point here. Most chicken farms don't keep roosters with the hens, meaning the eggs are unfertilised. This makes their eggs closer in nature to a period than an abortion.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I know. I should have axed that line. :confused:

I HAVE had real eggs (non chicken / egg factory eggs) and have gotten a couple that the rooster DID get to before we did. :eek::mad::(

But... We do "force" the chickens into ovulation - so it is kinda somewhere in between. I mean, if we were to force a woman into continual menstrual cycles until she ran out of eggs and became sterile - ethically that isn't very right. With chickens - that happens after a few weeks - they go to "Tyson's" farm next. We don't "run them out" but once the quality of egg produced degrades to a certain extent - off to Drumsticks they go.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

*cough*Ducati*cough*

:eek:
    I was planning to have an omelette this evening:rolleyes:

16. Queso macrumors G4

And park it outside on the street? Are you mad? :eek: ;)

You could have had it with cheese too. Do you want me to go into what that really is? :D

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Yeah, and what kind of WEIRD SICK FREAK has omelets for DINNER?

How uncivilized. :D

18. bartelby macrumors Core

Put it under a Piaggio cover.;)

You can't get me with that. It's made of the moon!!:)

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, all that talk makes me think twice about eating eggs now :(

20. Queso macrumors G4

Oh well, looks like it's whale meat again then :p

21. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. On our little farm, I have between 5 and 12 chickens for free range eggs (commercial eggs are gross!) and they lay almost every day naturally (without ever being exposed to a rooster) from 5 months of age until 18 months, when they molt. After the molt they will continue laying until the next molt. And so on until they die. Even if there is a rooster present if you collect the eggs every day, you don't get anything surprising in there.

I don't know if you realize this, but women already do have a menstrual cycle continually until they become sterile.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Quite right, it's just that the cycle for chickens is a lot shorter than for humans.

23. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I will back you up on this one. We raised chickens when I was a kid and they continually would lay eggs even if the rooster wasn't around. For a while, our rooster was causing problems in the hen house so we kept him away for a time and there was no lack in egg production.

24. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Just seen a channel 9 piece on Today about the gathering protests. Go Sea Sheperd .This could be an election winning issue as apparently Labor says they will sens a naval gun boat down to stop the whale hunt IF they win. I have been a long life coalition supporter but if Howard doesn't do anything he;s lost my vote as what the Japanese are doing is illegal.

Whales and Humbacks in particular are endangered and they die an agonising slow death (often hours) and quite frankly the Japanese can go without their whale sushi.

25. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Sorry for the chicken stuff - I don't believe killing whales is OK, either.