Hurricane Matthew southeastern NC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by werked, Oct 10, 2016.

1. werked macrumors regular

werked

Just wanted to ask my fellow MR members to please keep the Great people of SouthEastern NC in your thoughts. Friends around me are suffering great loss. Rivers that are already at historic levels are continuing to rise. Dams and levies are failing and people are being displaced and losing their lives. If you have family or friends in this area reach out and check on them.

2. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

In Greenville here. The Tar River is flooding to near record levels (29' in 1999 Floyd).

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I can feel for them, we're in Vilano Beach / St. Augustine, had severe flooding, 5-6 feet of water in the old city, some friends totally swamped, houses devastated, you folks to the north of stay safe.

4. werked thread starter macrumors regular

werked

It's the worst thing I've ever seen. No power for days and not expected to be restored for a week or more. I can't complain much about being in the dark bc people just a mile or two are way have lost their homes. Good luck to everyone

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Do you have water service? That was the killer for us, with the slight temp drop the lack of electricity wouldn't have kept us out of our house, plus we have a generator (B&S, got totally submerged and started right up!). The water/sewer however, that's tough, no showers, cleaning up, food prep, [obv] consumption. We wound up staying with the BIL an extra day, then when we found out the power/water was off for another day, we went north about 15 miles to a nice hotel. The decent rest was helpful for the following 2-3 days of damage assessment, cleanup, etc.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The national news media veared away to highlight a colorful self destructive character. :oops: I don't know anyone personally effected, but my sympathy goes out to those who have lost most everything. This is the kind of event where you want a strong Federal program in place to help those in need.

7. werked thread starter macrumors regular

werked

It seems that the response has been ok so far. FEMA has been here since the beginning mostly. The response from the community has been amazing. People helping their neighbors and folks making supply runs from other counties. Great to see. The looting tho....that breaks my heart. How can someone break in and steal from someone already knocked down. Sad.

8. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

I hope everyone can recover soon. Heart-breaking to see what happened. As my relative lost a lot in Hurricane Sandy and went through hell for months, I can only hope things improve quickly.

9. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I lived and worked in NC for over 20 years, have many friends there. It will take some time to recover fully. They are in my prayers.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This thread reminded me that I needed to call my 80 year old uncle in Wilmington. He said that(fortunately) they were relatively unscathed aside from losing a few big branches off their pecan tree and having one crush an old well behind the smokehouse.

They also own a beach house on Wrightsville Beach, although it's pretty well sheltered on the "sound" side. They have someone living in the bottom floor who rode it out. My uncle hadn't been out there, but the report was that the house shook pretty badly but was still sound without any damage.

The situation across the rest of the state sounds terrible, though. I will certainly be keeping them in my prayers.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I live in Carolina Beach (just south of Wilmington) and we were extremely fortunate in regards to wave and wind action. Really scary what's happening now with the hog farms and the rivers. Not only are the floods devestating, they're polluting our waterways in unimaginable ways.