Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Anyone else despise the sharp edges on the new Macbook Pros? Has anyone found some way to reduce the sharpness of the edges? Of course it's fine if you're wearing a long sleeved shirt, but now that it's summer time, this isn't always practical.

Maybe someone should make some iWrists - some cloth wristbands that you can wear while you're using your uMBP.

I'm surprised Apple didn't figure this out when they developed the chassis.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
hmmmm

I find that in order to use the keyboard I actually rest my plams past the edges so dont suffer from the wrist damage, have you tired simply moving your hands closer to the keyboard.....but then perhaps I just have short fingers?

The only annoying thing for me with the MBP has always been my watch and the lovely MBP fighting out the who has the hardest case competition....

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I've seen a few other threads about the edge being a bit sharp but slitting your wrist?

I never had any problems with the edge being too sharp. Maybe the people having these issues are placing their hands/wrist in the wrong way on their macbooks/macbook airs/macbook pros.

Maybe its because I never place my hands on the bottom part of the notebooks. Also when I type I have my hands lifted up like playing the piano properly.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
ive had my macbook for so long that ive worn the edges down.
My wrists simply slot in !

And please dont call it slitting my wrists. I have just found out all at once that 5 of my friends slit their wrists frequently :(

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
I've always wondered how people are bothered by the sharp edges. I've never had a problem with it. When I type, I put my palms on the PALM rest I guess your wrists could touch the edge of it, but I guess I'm always sitting up high enough so that they don't.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
just dont rest you wrists on the edges that are cutting them

i went to see a doctor. is said doc it hurts when i do this. and he said then dont do that.:p

but seriously it's not good to rest your wrists when you are typing. besides your problem of being slit by them you are also possible cutting of blood flow and or restricting tendon movement that could lead to carpal tunnel.

I've seen a few other threads about the edge being a bit sharp but slitting your wrist?

I never had any problems with the edge being too sharp. Maybe the people having these issues are placing their hands/wrist in the wrong way on their macbooks/macbook airs/macbook pros.

Maybe its because I never place my hands on the bottom part of the notebooks. Also when I type I have my hands lifted up like playing the piano properly.

You sir, are 100% correct. You should be typing like you would play a piano, that is correct form. People complaining about the sharp edges obviously are using incorrect form. A quick google search turned up these images.

Attachments

• clawed_hands_rsi_sm.jpg
    clawed_hands_rsi_sm.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,362
  • neutral_hand_position_sm.jpg
    neutral_hand_position_sm.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,347

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I never understood this. How are people using the damn computer that it's hurting their wrists. Never had this problem with my Unibody MB or my old white/black MacBook's.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
You sir, are 100% correct. You should be typing like you would play a piano, that is correct form. People complaining about the sharp edges obviously are using incorrect form. A quick google search turned up these images.

It seems to me that it's impossible to type in the wrong form with your wrists touching the edge.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I find the sharp edges better than pulling arm hair off with the last model.

Haha...I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the problem.

I do not advice sanding it as you may void your warranty. Also you may create a hole between the top of screen and handrest when you close your macbook.

It wouldn't void it. I'm talking just barely sanding it, to dull down the edge a little. Even if someone did take a Dremel to their MacBook Pro, it'd just be considered as "scratches" if there were any question about it from Apple.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
I'm not sure I follow...

Yes, it seems that it would impossible (for me personally) to type in the incorrect form, yet these threads about sharp edges and wrist strain pop up all the time. So it seems many people do in fact, type in that incorrect form. :confused:

I mean, if you place your wrists on the edge of MBP at an angle, not on the flat palm rest, your typing form would look like the correct form because MBP is flat.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I have bled at the hand of my MBP.

I was pretty drunk one night but not drunk enough to not go onto Facebook. I don't remember much but the next morning I woke up with cuts on my right wrist. I had to ponder where they could have came from, but then as I opened my MBP to check the weather, I found bloodstains on the edge of the right palm rest. My arm was pretty significantly cut too, not just a scratch.

But on a normal day, it does not bother me. Hahaha.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
I don't think you understand, you hands/wrists should hover above the computer just like the previous poster stated, like at a piano. Only your fingertips should touch.

Of course its our fault...there is no way it was a flaw in the design by apple. Apple does no wrong, they don't make mistakes. I'm sure apple thought "the sharp edges don't matter becuase everyone is or should be typing correctly to begin with" yeah right

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I sanded the edges down using the metal nail filer on my toe nail clippers.

Definitely did the trick. No more sharp edges. I don't even notice that it's filled down.

Of course its our fault...there is no way it was a flaw in the design by apple. Apple does no wrong, they don't make mistakes. I'm sure apple thought "the sharp edges don't matter becuase everyone is or should be typing correctly to begin with" yeah right

:rolleyes:
Type however you want, I am merely explaining proper typing technique, which has been around long before :apple:. :eek:

Lay off the coffee. ;) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.