Husband is sooo difficult to shop for!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Susan159, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Susan159 macrumors newbie

Susan159

With the holiday season coming up I'm looking to get my husband something unique. He always just says get him a gift card but i hate doing that because I like the hunt! for a good gift! Anyone have suggestions?
    Thanks!!

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What does he like?

Books, guns, knives, cars, golf, clothing, computers/tech, football, alcohol (an old friend of mine used to say 'alcohol never offends')? What are his interests? What doe he like? What does he like to do?

The one piece of advice I would give is that men tend to be fastidious where their interests, hobbies and personal preferences are concerned. Possibly because they may derive some of their sense of identity from such things.

In essence, they might not have much interest in many things, but, in the areas where their interests lie, they tend to want the best. That means no cheap-skate or second rate or imitation stuff.

3. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I always hate when my wife tries to guess what I want, she always ends up buying something that I don't like.

Why not ask him.

4. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Heck, my wife knows exactly what I like, even down to specific styles of things, and if there's some item with a range of options, she'll do a ton of research.

That seems way more fun that just asking "what do you want?", might as well stick with a gift card!

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Booze! Can't go wrong there. Tanquaray 10 is a deliciously reliable gin, and comes in a really nice bottle that is made for a present. If he's a whisky drinker, there are a number of nice Scotch ones, or if he prefers something a little clearer and less peaty, Irish is the way to go.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on the person, I don't drink so if my wife bought me a bottle of scotch, I'd be looking at her like she had two heads.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Drink enough of it, and you'll see her having two heads :D

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, if the planned recipient doesn't like alcohol, obviously, this is a redundant gift.

The key is to find out (or ask) what it is they like, or would like, or are interested in. If the object they desire is too expensive for one purchase, offer to put money towards it, or lump it as part of a series of gifts (birthday plus Christmas plus anniversary, if a signifiant one, and so on).

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My recommendation, get him a gift card.
    He is telling you what he wants.

I am the same way. The items I buy are as meaningful as if the person bought them for me.
    Usually I ask for hockey equipment. I like to try it on. I try on multiple item of the same size and model. Sometime things are not assembled correctly.

To me the gift card is equally exciting as a present.
    I make an event of the shopping with Christmas gift cards.

Seriously you may think it's impersonal but it's really not.

Same goes for kids.
    Say if the want an XBox, they can ask for gift cards and pool them.

Don't beat yourself up. Give him want he wants.

Make it exciting for him. If the gift card is for a store, pick up a gift card to a nearby restaurant, another gift card for a coffee shop and so on.
    He can make a day of it.

10. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Best gift I ever got from a woman was a box of "sexual favors". These were somewhat cheesy gift cards, from a novelty or "adult" shop. The idea was that the recipient could redeem these cards, throughout the year. They probably cost about $10 to buy, but required personal participation for redemption, down the road.

Anyhow, might sound cheesy, but it was very well received. It was, by a wide margin, the best gift I've ever gotten in my life.

11. throwthedice macrumors regular

I understand the "hunt" - as a lot of others have said, it's your husband so I'm guessing you him better than all of us. Think of something that he loves or is very interested in. For instance he may follow a particular sports team or he might be looking at a particular device/gadget that he might want to buy.. take a hint from his daily behavior and you have a "hunt"

But .. all things said and done, please for both your sake, include a gift card regardless of how awesome you think your gift is :)

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Did he say specify a gift card from a specific store? iTunes, Lowes, Bass Pro, Walmart? Shop for movies if its an iTune's GC, power tools (Lowe's), fishing gear/lure (Bass Pro)... you get the idea.

If he didn't not specify what kind of gift card, then a sauce pan to the head is in order for being wishy-washy.:eek:o_O My wife uses a ladle since I'm not rugged manly man.:oops::p:D

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

And there it is.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Some times the sauce pan is needed to calibrate the brainwaves.
    It's not domestic against men. It's like holding down the iPhone/iPad power and home button down.
    It's needed from time to time

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I say exactly the same to my family. Just buy me Apple Store vouchers. They have after many years started to listen!

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Just get the gift card, anything else will be wrong.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I was going to say a^&% but you kind of beat me to it.

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

My wife is easy to buy for and I'm told I'm the same. My father has always been a pain in the ass to buy a gift for. Though I've found my method of drawing it out in discussion and keeping it in mind when the holiday high season rolls around.

19. joec1101 macrumors 6502

bj AND gift card (not necessarily in that order) ;)

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want to melt his heart and make it a Christmas for him to remember, make him a Christmas video, where you, and others closest to him, take time to share meaningful words and pictures (set to music) of precious memories shared with him. Let him know in a unique way, how much he means to you. Include the gift card with the surprise video.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Those are tricky, because more often than not they're like remembrance videos. You know, the ones they show after a person dies.

22. applestopears macrumors newbie

Well it really depends on what your husband likes... but if your looking for something that he doesn't have and is unique I would recommend the brobile blog usually has the latest guy stuff. I got my husband something unique I saw through facebook. It is a wallet with a built in medicine container that can hold his aspirin. Search for it on google at

Pill Pocket Wallet

I either found it on google or facebook, but my husband needs to have his medication close by at all times and this helps him to remember since he never forgets his wallet. It actually blends right into the design.. pretty cool.

Hope this helps.

23. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I agree (but I prefer T. Rangpur now). And if he's not a gin man, I'll take it off his hands.

24. Tech198 macrumors G4

He's a geek... we're always hard to shop for... just give him the money, and let him do what he whats :)

You'll be shopping forever otherwise.

I do that all the time..... when i get a present, i pretend i like it, but behind close doors i end up thowing it out...then i feel bad because the person who bought it wasted their time. If they only gave me money, solution would be over in 10 seconds.