Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory maker Hyper, known for its range of chargers, hubs, and battery packs, recently introduced the HyperDrive Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub, which it says is the world's first Goshen Ridge Thunderbolt 4 hub with an integrated power source.

hyper-power-hub.jpg

Available on Kickstarter, the hub includes a built-in GaN power source that alleviates the need for an extra power brick and allows it to operate with a standard power cable, ultimately resulting in a more streamlined setup.

The Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub includes three 40Gbps/15W Thunderbolt 4 downstream ports for data transfer and accessory charging and one 40Gbps/96W power delivery Thunderbolt 4 port, but there are no other included ports. The Thunderbolt 4 ports support dual 4K 60Hz or single 8K 30Hz display connectivity, though dual displays are not compatible with M1 or M2 MacBooks.

The hub works with with the 2016 MacBook Pro or later, the 2018 MacBook Air or later, and the 2021 iPad Pro or later, as well as Windows and ChromeOS devices.

The HyperDrive Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub can be preordered from Kickstarter for $179, a 40 percent discount off of the planned retail price, and it is set to ship out in November 2022.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Kickstarter. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Hyper Debuts New Thunderbolt 4 Hub With Integrated GaN Power Source

Eric_WVGG

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
I don't understand how moving the power supply from a brick to inside the casing makes it more expensive. If anything, isn't that fewer parts? maybe a little more cooling required?

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I don't understand how moving the power supply from a brick to inside the casing makes it more expensive. If anything, isn't that fewer parts? maybe a little more cooling required?

My OWC TB dock was the same $180 (via Amazon) and it has 3xTB4 and 1xUSB-A (the latter of which I never use). So at the "early bird" price, they're the same.

nerdherdster

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
I love the idea, but I think the price is going to kill the product. The kickstarter price seems fair given the other options out there, but I have a hard time seeing this actually sell at $299 once released. In that price range you’re competing with the top tier docks from CalDigit and others, most of which have far more ports.

It also kinda has an identity crisis: not useful enough for the price for a desk setup, not that useful for travel since it requires power.

If it’s for a desk setup I don’t think having a power brick is so terrible, after you set it up once you never touch the power brick again. And if the power brick dies you can replace it rather than tossing the whole dock.

Still… the integrated power is very slick and for folks who only need three TB4 ports it does look nice.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Great idea so long as integrated power supply reliability doesn't significantly affect aggregate reliability of the hub.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have been burned with no recourse multiple times by Kickstarter projects to the tune of a few hundred bucks.

Whole lotta nope on anything that shows up on that hell-hole site.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Any idea why certain TB4 docks can support dual external 4k@60hz like the Sonnettech Echo 11 and Startech TB4CDOCK? Sure there is a big price difference, was wondering what component made the difference.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I was going to back this project a few months ago but decided to get the Satechi TB4 Dock instead. It has the same amount of TB4 ports, 96 watts upstream port, USB 3 ports, network and does support dual ASD at 5K/60Hz. At $299 this is going to be very hard to sell.

JPack

macrumors G4
Mar 27, 2017

Because power bricks are far cheaper due to economies of scale. 95% of docks/hubs on the market today use a reference design from from various companies in Shenzhen. Anker hubs are made by CE-Link. Satechi hubs are by Gopod Group. This Hyper dock is based on a niche design.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yes, and it's obsolete to the extreme because of that (I have one). Time to replace.

Not at all. My OWC is connected to my iMac so the power brick is not an issue since I have many things with bricks and it's all neatly managed underneath my desk.

This will be for my MBP 14" and having it smaller and more portable is a plus for me.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
"Available on Kickstarter" means "not available."
That's not entirely true, there are several projects for digital files where they're available, but the creator is looking for funding before wide release. It's definitely true for most projects though. Takes some sweet time to get your orders...

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Never Hyper. Bought their 100W GAN on KS a while back. Damned thing could’ve manage to charge my phone and iPad at the same time. Sent them a video, they sent replacement, happened with the “new” one… threw it in the bin and haven’t looked back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.