Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Known for its range of battery pack options and other Apple accessories, Hyper just recently launched its newest products, the HyperJuice 245W USB-C Battery Pack and 245W GaN charger.

hyper-245w-battery-pack.jpg

Hyper says that the 245W GaN Charger and Battery Pack are more powerful than four 61W chargers because at 245W, it's capable of charging up to four laptops at the same time.

The Battery Pack features four 100W USB-C ports and it can provide a maximum of 245W for various devices. So you can charge four 61W MacBook Pro models all at the same time, or do a 16-inch MacBook Pro, an iPad, an iPhone, and another accessory all at full charging speeds.

It's a 100Wh battery so though it provides up to 245W, it can still be brought on an airplane. The Battery Pack has enough juice to charge a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air up to two times with 27,000mAh capacity.

hyper-battery-pack-four-macbooks.jpg

A built-in OLED display lets you know your battery status, providing real-time battery information like charging status, capacity, time to recharge, and the power being drawn from each port.

With the 245W GaN charger or any 100W USB-C PD charger, the battery pack can be charged up in as little as an hour.

Hyper is offering the new products on Indiegogo, and pricing for the battery pack starts at $149, while pricing on the 245W GaN charger starts at $99. A combo deal is available with Hyper offering both the battery pack and charger for $239.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Indiegogo. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Hyper Launches 27,000 mAh 245W Battery Pack for $149

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It's a 100Wh battery so though it provides up to 245W, it can still be brought on an airplane. The Battery Pack has enough juice to charge a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air up to two times with 27,000mAh capacity.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. We're told the batteries in a laptop can only be so "big" or you can't take them on a plane. The 16" MacBook Pro has a huge battery (nearly 9000mAh), and it's about as big as you can take onto a plane. This thing is three times that size, with three times as much stored energy to potentially release in an explosive manner, and it's just fine?

• Disagree
Reactions: booksacool1

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
That makes absolutely no sense to me. We're told the batteries in a laptop can only be so "big" or you can't take them on a plane. The 16" MacBook Pro has a huge battery (nearly 9000mAh), and it's about as big as you can take onto a plane. This thing is three times that size, with three times as much stored energy to potentially release in an explosive manner, and it's just fine?
100Whr is the limit, so this device has a different voltage compared to the MBP battery

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
100Wh is 100Wh. This battery is the same "size" as the 16" MBP one.

You can't compare mAh unless the rated voltages are the same, which they are clearly not in this case.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Except for their 100 GaN charger, other Hyper products (mainly their hubs) were faulty and the company unresponsive. I stay away from Hyper products though the "specs" on paper look nice. These are bulky items. I do not see them being useful for travel. But the specs for the AC adapter would work for a remote office I travel to, are interesting. I will wait and see what Anker comes up with for the new MBPs.

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
This might replace my plugbug duo for travelling. I don't really trust crowdfunded products though, they're usually scams

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
This might replace my plugbug duo for travelling. I don't really trust crowdfunded products though, they're usually scams
Hyper has been on the crowdfunding space for a while. They have mastered it. The soured me to crowdfunding when the sold their USB C high end hubs. The advertising was in my, and many others who commented, deceptive as to functionality. The devices were fault when shipped. You had no recourse because they would respond "this is not a purchase, it is backing a product" the crowdsourcing company would wash their hands. I do not plan to back any crowdsourcing. When the product is available via a reliable vendor such as Amazon, I will consider it. At least there is recourse.

skeeedunt

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
I can imagine some niche uses for this, but not a "toss it in your bag just in case".

Too bad they look terrible. Never a fan of the corrugated tin roof vibe.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

The FAA limit is 100Wh: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I like the idea of these in theory, but I certainly would not want to have to carry around something this heavy for a "just in case" scenario.

Are there people out there who would need this on a daily basis to justify carrying it around with them?

I use large batteries like this when I travel for work. No - I don't need it on a daily basis (and don't carry it)... but flying all day to destinations (and working along the way) and then having the variability of charging available/not available while meeting with colleagues means that these are very helpful.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
I like the idea of these in theory, but I certainly would not want to have to carry around something this heavy for a "just in case" scenario.

Are there people out there who would need this on a daily basis to justify carrying it around with them?
I don't on a daily basis, but I keep a high capacity USB-C battery around the house for times when I need power somewhere other than where I have an outlet.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

xmlninja

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
I backed 2 hyper campaigns before. The products came but not in time. This was in the beginning of the pandemic though to their defense. However as many other points out the products didnt live up to the expactions. It looks good on paper and in their video ads. They do what they can to make you believe this is something you need.

Proceed with caution. You have been warned.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Really surprised that macrumours is promoting a Kickstarter campaign like this. This company are notoriously bad. Check out the hundreds of disgruntled users with faulty products and no recourse. Shame on you macrumours.
MacRumors often promotes Hyper new products, which surprises me as well. I agree with you. It is best to stay clear of Hyper.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
The charger might be useful for video professionals with an entire rig, or classrooms.
For me, it's way to much. But then, I can't find any other multi-port charger (in the EU) that supports 100W + X, either.

For me the sweet spots would be:
- night stand: 100W MBP + 20W HomePod Mini + 5W iPhone + 5W Apple Watch
- couch: 100W MBP + 45W MacBook Air + 15W iPhone/iPad
- travel: 100W MBP + 15W iPhone/iPad + 5W Apple Watch

So, I'd love me some compact 4-port 120W-160W chargers.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
It doesn't make any sense to you because "mAh" sucks as a unit. Two batteries can't be compared by looking at mAh without also knowing the device's voltage. Shame on companies and journalists for using it so prominently.

If you compare the more reasonable unit Wh, you'll see that both the 16'' MBP and this battery have 100Wh. So it's not three times the size, just exactly the same. And 100Wh is also exactly the limit allowed on planes.

Reactions: Kuro Tanaka

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Dunno about this product in particular, but I do know lots of bicycle touring types would snap something like this up. Nice to have several days of charging ability for your iPhone or iPad when you might be camping out without power several days in a row.

daverobeson

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2011
I backed 2 hyper campaigns before. The products came but not in time. This was in the beginning of the pandemic though to their defense. However as many other points out the products didnt live up to the expactions. It looks good on paper and in their video ads. They do what they can to make you believe this is something you need.

Proceed with caution. You have been warned.
Same experience with Hyper, but pre-pandemic. Two campaigns, learned my lesson by the second one. After them and a couple of other companies' grand claims, my policy is to not back any crowdfunded campaigns for items that require power. After a number of successful campaigns that led to substandard/potentially dangerous products, I've learned that this stuff is tricky. Wait for the final version, read backers' comments and reviews of the actual product rather than the promises. Paying the slightly higher retail cost (if it ever gets that far) will still save you money long-term.

kaz911

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I have their previous HyperJuice GaN power supply.

They simply do not work. I got 2 of them off kickstarter.

They sent me a replacement to test. When I then proved that did not work either they stopped responding to emails.

Problem with the "old" GaN charger (2 x USB-C, 2 x USB-A) is to switch between "power profiles" - they switch all outputs off. So if you have 2 USB-C devices connected and 1x USB-A charging - once USB-A device is fully charged - it forces the GaN charger off and on every 30 seconds - so then ALL ports switch on/off every 30 seconds)

Now pair that with the nice sound of iPad being plugged in/out every 30 seconds. It was infuriating.

My Hyper products went in the bin....

Ohh and I did get their "charger hub" before the GaN charger. Should have learned from that experience. The charger hub have capacitor noise - so you can't sit next to it. Support not much better at that time.

So ALL products I have gotten from Hyper - have had MAJOR faults Hyper have still failed to solve or rectify.

Reactions: jimthing

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego

The battery pack is only 100 watt hours, which is not uncommon. I've carried around one (different brand 100 watt PD) for the past year on the daily for my 16".

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
I just ordered a pack. Couldn't help myself. I'm a compulsive battery pack and charger buyer.
In my case, the warnings about Hyper's quality were enough to save me, but I suspect there's enough of us compulsive battery buyers that we should consider forming a support group.

"Why don't you just wait until you know you need it?"
"Because then it's already too late!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.