Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory maker Hyper is recalling its 65W and 100W HyperJuice Stackable GaN Chargers and its 130W Battery Pack because of a product design issue that can cause them to overheat while charging. Hyper says that this can lead to a "potential fire hazard."

hyper-stackable-gan-charger-article.jpeg

Affected stackable products include the 65W and 100W GaN chargers that were initially introduced in 2021. Each one features a pass-through AC power outlet rated up to 1500W for stacking multiple units on top of one another. Each 100W unit featured three USB-C ports and one 18W USB-A port, while each 65W unit included two USB-C ports and one USB-A port.

hyper-stackable-gan-charger-stack.jpeg

The USB-C 130W Battery Pack was released in 2019, offering a 27,000mAh battery capacity. It included two USB-C ports and a USB-A port.

hyper2.jpg

If you own one of the HyperJuice Stackable GaN Chargers or the 130W Battery Pack, Hyper is providing a one-time store credit in the full amount of the purchase price. There is no option for a cash refund for those who are no longer interested in owning Hyper products.

According to the recall site, approximately 18,200 Stackable Chargers were sold, and 13,700 battery packs were sold. Two battery packs overheated, resulting in smoke, melting, and property damage, and there were seven reports about the Stackable chargers. No injuries have been reported.

Consumers should stop using all of the recalled products immediately because of the fire risk.

Hyper is providing customers with a self-addressed prepaid shipping label for the return of affected units. Store credits will be issued when the product is returned or, if the product is no longer available, proof of purchase. Customers can learn more on Hyper's website.

Article Link: Hyper Recalls HyperJuice GaN Stackable Chargers and 130W Battery Pack Due to Fire Risk

• Angry
Reactions: sorgo †

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I support MacRumors from reporting these PSAs, but I hope it would refrain from accepting commissions from Hyper in the future. This company has zero regard for product safety and has willfully neglected to provide support until the problem became more widespread.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
This is an unreliable, if not dangerous, company. " There is no option for a cash refund for those who are no longer interested in owning Hyper products." I am not entirely sure this is legal, at least in California. They sell you a dangerous product, yet they will not refund your money and require you stay with their unreliable products. This is a brand that Macrumors often highlights and this stains Macrumors credibility, in my humble opinion.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I support MacRumors from reporting these PSAs, but I hope it would refrain from accepting commissions from Hyper in the future. This company has zero regard for product safety and has willfully neglected to provide support until the problem became more widespread.
I’m guessing they weren’t being very helpful with the initial problems?

This is why I go for mainstream companies, like Anker, Apple, and Belkin. Unless you’re going to disassemble one, you won’t know what’s inside it. Even then you have to have some electronics knowledge to know what you’re looking at is bad. I watch a YouTube channel and most of his content is about badly designed chargers and how dangerous they are. It’s not worth saving a few dollars to buy some off brand adapter. If you have to save money by a cheap cable because that’s only low voltage.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I purchased a Stackable charger because I liked the port selection on it: 3 USB-C + 1 USB-A. What other alternative charger is there on the market with these characteristics:
  • 4 ports: combination of USB-C and USB-A
  • 65W at least
  • it is a wall charger: doesn't require an extra power brick to power it
Thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: gbears98 and enc0re

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Oh noes, I have two and they are my favorite chargers. 3xC + 1xA is the perfect combination of ports and 100W the perfect amount of power, while with the flippable plug it is so compact. What am I going to do with a Hyperjuice store credit?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I purchased a Stackable charger because I liked the port selection on it: 3 USB-C + 1 USB-A. What other alternative charger is there on the market with these characteristics:
  • 4 ports: combination of USB-C and USB-A
  • 65W at least
  • it is a wall charger: doesn't require an extra power brick to power it
Thanks for the recommendations!
Anker has a new GAN one with 4 USB C 120W. There’s also a 3C+1A one.

Reactions: Ion-X

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Will Macrumors stop accepting paid promotions from these guys, finally?

They have had consistently (even pre-pandemic) horrible customer service, product quality, and product safety. From their first product through new ones.

It's been a topic of discussion for years every time MacRumors shills for these guys, and it's long overdue...will it finally happen?

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
I’ve pretty much lost faith in Hyper at this point.. I had one of their FIRST 100w GAN chargers and it was great, then I got their 250W 27,500 battery which I’m now on the third replacement of and it only has about 18,000 mAh of usability, so for the PRICE and WEIGHT is not worth it at all. Now, this unit which I bought and liked, but haven’t used TOO much is recalled.. at least they better make me whole on it - but I’m not sure what is going on with product development and or QA or QC for this products at this point but I’m not dipping my toe into any further kickstarter/indiegogo campaigns for them at this point.

Reactions: sorgo †

Ressayflex

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Oh noes, I have two and they are my favorite chargers. 3xC + 1xA is the perfect combination of ports and 100W the perfect amount of power, while with the flippable plug it is so compact. What am I going to do with a Hyperjuice store credit?

I agree! I have a bunch of these, my fav charger. Nothing else I saw came close in size/density & ports. super disappointing... I'll have to take a look at the Anker options mentioned in the comments... and yea, what am I going to do with a "credit"? Do they have an updated version of this product that is safe? no...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.