Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
Why is the 27" iMac w/ the i5 processor the ONLY one that does not support Hyper-Threading? What exactly does "supports" mean?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-01 at 11.52.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-01 at 11.52.47 PM.png
    38 KB · Views: 125

Hopsdaballa04

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
Because Apple is pure evil.. Not really, but when it comes to making money it sure seems like it. They gimped the quad core i5 so that people will spend the extra 200 dollars for the i7. I wonder how much it cost them for the i7 processor compared to the i5?

Just like they gimped the iPad, they could have offered it with a front facing camera, but they will wait till next year to add that feature. Just so that people that bought iPads this year will buy iPads next year. It's really a great business strategy if you want to make money.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Because Apple is pure evil.. Not really, but when it comes to making money it sure seems like it. They gimped the quad core i5 so that people will spend the extra 200 dollars for the i7. I wonder how much it cost them for the i7 processor compared to the i5?

Just like they gimped the iPad, they could have offered it with a front facing camera, but they will wait till next year to add that feature. Just so that people that bought iPads this year will buy iPads next year. It's really a great business strategy if you want to make money.

Right.. It's probably got nothing to do with the fact that a quad core i5 with hyper-threading doesn't exist.

Seriously, I get that people like to make Apple out to be an evil money-grubbing company, but this is a pretty lame attempt.

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
It's a tiered approach:

Start with i3 with 4 virtual cores, then move up to i5 with 4 virtual cores, followed by i5 with 4 actual cores, and finally the i7 with 8 virtual cores.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

This post proves beyond any measure that some people should shut up before spouting bu|l crap and nonesense. i5 Processors are not 'gimped' by Apple.

Right.. It's probably got nothing to do with the fact that a quad core i5 with hyper-threading doesn't exist.

Seriously, I get that people like to make Apple out to be an evil money-grubbing company, but this is a pretty lame attempt.

You are sorta on the point, but still wrong. Read below.

It's an Intel tiered approach:

Start with i3 with 2 virtual and 2 physical cores and Turbo Boast disabled, then move up to i5 with 2 virtual and 2 physical cores, followed by i5 with 4 actual cores both i5 class CPUs support an aggressive Turbo Boast, and finally the i7 with 4 virtual and 4 physical cores on LGA1156 and LGA 1366 which both support Turbo Boast at a mild manner.

THIS x1000. Except the posts is missing some information. I bolded what was missing and clarifications.

Hopsdaballa04

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009

I don't actually believe that apple is an evil money grubbing company; I was joking about that. What I do believe is that they are a publicly traded business and ultimately are trying to make money. The more money they get, the better for stockholders. If anyone is lame it is you for not opening your mind to the possibility that Apple maybe is in business to make money.

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
London
So is hyper-threading good or bad for gaming? I remember reading about some benchmarks last year between the i5 and i7 for gaming and they seemed pretty equal.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
So is hyper-threading good or bad for gaming? I remember reading about some benchmarks between the i5 and i7 for gaming and they seemed pretty equal.

If the game is 'core aware' then having hyperthreading will benefit the game inmensely. However, if it is a non aware game, then having hyperthread will do nothing, and in some cases cause actual game performance loss.

So in games without multicore support, it's best to disable hyperthreading.

Hopsdaballa04

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
This post proves beyond any measure that some people should shut up before spouting bu|l crap and nonesense. i5 Processors are not 'gimped' by Apple.

You are sorta on the point, but still wrong. Read below.

THIS x1000. Except the posts is missing some information. I bolded what was missing and clarifications.

Yes, I'm sure apple didn't tell Intel to gimp the processor. Apple could have just used the i7 instead of the i5 it would have cost them what maybe 50 dollars difference? I don't know exactly what the whole sale price difference is between the two models. It can't be to the extreme of 200 dollars though.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Yes, I'm sure apple didn't tell Intel to gimp the processor. Apple could have just used the i7 instead of the i5 it would have cost them what maybe 50 dollars difference? I don't know exactly what the whole sale price difference is between the two models. It can't be to the extreme of 200 dollars though.

You need to educate yourself more. There is a huge difference in processor's prices because Intel has it that way, not Apple. If you want to rant on Apple overcharging or shafting you, then argue the prices of their HDD, SSD and RAM upgrades; that's ripoff at its max. Just go online and check the prices yourself....

Hopsdaballa04

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
You need to educate yourself more. There is a huge difference in processor's prices because Intel has it that way, not Apple. If you want to rant on Apple overcharging or shafting you, then argue the prices of their HDD, SSD and RAM upgrades; that's ripoff at its max. Just go online and check the prices yourself....

Please tell me where I can find whole sale prices and I will educate myself. Your right once again, a business strategy for people that are not willing to upgrade the RAM themselves and would like the peace of mind of their RAM, SSD, or HDD being warrantied along with the machine. It's not the RAM, SSD or HDD that is expensive it's the install and warranty that apple provides along with it.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Have you ever visited Newegg?

Newegg has the price difference between i5 760 and i7 870 at 80usd. A lot closer to "50 dollars" than "huge difference." Less than half of what apple's suggesting the price difference is.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Newegg has the price difference between i5 760 and i7 870 at 80usd. A lot closer to "50 dollars" than "huge difference." Less than half of what apple's suggesting the price difference is.

Newegg is the MicroCenter of the Internet. Of coarse you will get low differences. But check the actual prices, not the discounted ones. Or better yet, check Intel's MSRP prices.

I'm wrong how? Apple can't buy an i5 quad with hyper-threading because Intel does not produce one.

Yes, they do make i5s with Hyperthreading. See Clarkdale class i5 CPUs.

Hopsdaballa04

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
Have you ever visited Newegg?

Regardless New Egg would not show the whole sale price that apple is getting. New egg would only show the price that you as a consumer will receive. If you are educated, you will know that cutting out the middle man I.E. "new egg" will significantly drop the prices. Which is why I said whole sale, not consumer price.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Newegg is the MicroCenter of the Internet. Of coarse you will get low differences. But check the actual prices, not the discounted ones. Or better yet, check Intel's MSRP prices.

Yes, they do make i5s with Hyperthreading. See Clarkdale class i5 CPUs.

Why should I have to look someplace other than newegg? You specifically asked to check newegg. You can look at the official prices from intel's site as well, the price difference is 90 bucks, still less than half of what apple's trying to charge.

Clarkdales are a different core than Lynnfield, you can not compare the two.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
What I do believe is that they are a publicly traded business and ultimately are trying to make money. The more money they get, the better for stockholders. If anyone is lame it is you for not opening your mind to the possibility that Apple maybe is in business to make money.

Me not opening my mind?

It is the job of every publicly traded company to better the stock price and earn money for shareholders.. period.

But a lot of people seem to think this is evil and greedy. In fact it seems the current political environment would prefer to make this the common and proper way to think.

This, I do not understand. This is Capitalism, and it's the reason most of us enjoy the standard of living that we do.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Why should I have to look someplace other than newegg? You specifically asked to check newegg. You can look at the official prices from intel's site as well, the price difference is 90 bucks, still less than half of what apple's trying to charge.

Recall Apple always charges a premium over their stuff, so CPUs from Apple are not overpriced compared to other things.

Clarkdales are a different core than Lynnfield, you can not compare the two.

Yes you can. Both use the same architecture, LGA 1156 and the only difference is that Clarkdale is built upon 32nm process versus Lynnfield's 45nm process.

That difference does not disqualify their comparisson.

Please give the Intel part number for an i5 quad core that supports hyper-threading.

Core i5-600 series. Or more specifically i5-650, i5-655K, i5-660, i5-661, i5-670 and i5-680.

Hopsdaballa04

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
Me not opening my mind?

It is the job of every publicly traded company to better the stock price and earn money for shareholders.. period.

But a lot of people seem to think this is evil and greedy. In fact it seems the current political environment would prefer to make this the common and proper way to think.

This, I do not understand. This is Capitalism, and it's the reason most of us enjoy the standard of living that we do.

Ha Ha, lets not even get started on capitalism. It's also the reason that we as taxpayers had to bail out more than one bank, that still paid their top executives millions of dollars. I don't want this thread to get to ugly. I'm not against the idea of capitalism just how it has been implemented is wrong with a lot of companies. I wouldn't say Apple is one of those companies.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Recall Apple always charges a premium over their stuff, so CPUs from Apple are not overpriced compared to other things.

Yes you can. Both use the same architecture, LGA 1156 and the only difference is that Clarkdale is built upon 32nm process versus Lynnfield's 45nm process.

That difference does not disqualify their comparisson.

Apple charging over half the price for a cpu upgrade is just as much of a "ripoff," to put it in your words, as their HDDs or SSDs. Socket and manufacturing process is not the only difference between clarkdale and lynnfield. You can't just look at price differences, you have to look at percentage differences, when companies gouge prices.
The major difference would be that clarkdale has only 2 physical cores, while lynnfield has 4 physical cores.

You know, for someone who gets facts wrong, and constantly tries to counter argue points with things that only refute your original assertions, you sure don't have much reason to go tell people to "educate themselves more", now do you?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Core i5-600 series. Or more specifically i5-650, i5-655K, i5-660, i5-661, i5-670 and i5-680.

Yes and those are all dual-core parts.

The OP asked why the 27" iMac QUAD i5 was the only one that did not support hyper-threading. I said it was because Intel does not make an i5 QUAD core CPU that supports hyper-threading.

You keep citing DUAL core parts as examples to the contrary.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Apple charging over half the price for a cpu upgrade is just as much of a "ripoff," to put it in your words, as their HDDs or SSDs. Socket and manufacturing process is not the only difference between clarkdale and lynnfield. The major difference would be that clarkdale has only 2 physical cores, while lynnfield has 4 physical cores. You can't just look at price differences, you have to look at percentage differences, when companies gouge prices.

You know, for someone who gets facts wrong, and constantly tries to counter argue points with things that only refute your original assertions, you sure don't have much reason to go tell people to "educate themselves more", now do you?

Well let's see:

1. Apple premium's something because it's better tech: check
2. Lynnfield and Clarkdale being the same excpet for the tiered approach: check

Also, what percentages? Where do I mention percentages in my posts?

Yes and those are all dual-core parts.

The OP asked why the 27" iMac QUAD i5 was the only one that did not support hyper-threading. I said it was because Intel does not make an i5 QUAD core CPU that supports hyper-threading.

You keep citing DUAL core parts as examples to the contrary.

Let's remind you of this post:

It's an Intel tiered approach:

Start with i3 with 2 virtual and 2 physical cores and Turbo Boast disabled, then move up to i5 with 2 virtual and 2 physical cores, followed by i5 with 4 actual cores both i5 class CPUs support an aggressive Turbo Boast, and finally the i7 with 4 virtual and 4 physical cores on LGA1156 and LGA 1366 which both support Turbo Boast at a mild manner.

OP is complaining about i5s not having hyperthreading. Well that's the answer why. Intel has a tiered approach that Apple adopted (and premium'd). Don't like it? Buy somewhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.