Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory company Hyper today announced the HyperDrive USB-C Hub for the 2018 iPad Pro. Apple's latest iPad Pro is the first of the company's tablets to include USB-C (replacing the Lightning port), allowing support for third-party USB-C accessories like Hyper's new device.

hyperdrive-hub-ipad-pro.jpg

The HyperDrive for iPad Pro adds six total ports to the tablet: 4K HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack, SD card slot, Micro SD card slot, USB-A 3.0, and USB-C Power Delivery. Hyper explains that the accessory features a replaceable C-shape grip that holds the USB-C hub securely onto the iPad Pro.

hyperdrive-hub-ipad-pro-2.jpg

The device is available in Space Gray and Silver, to match the iPad Pro's colors, and it will work with both 11-inch and 12.9-inch models with and without the Smart Keyboard Folio. The company says that the HyperDrive for iPad Pro will be available in December for $49 for customers who sign up to be notified on its website. Otherwise, the device will run for $99.99.

Article Link: HyperDrive USB-C Hub for 2018 iPad Pro Adds Ports for 4K HDMI, Headphones, SD Card, and More

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see why this is a better solution than having a laptop, with... you know - ACTUAL PORTS!!!

Seriously? Lol. There are people who have both a notebook and a tablet. An iPad is great because it’s touch screen and apps optimized specifically for it. It’s a totally different experience doing things on the iPad and depending on what you’re doing that experience is better.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Great accessory,but Apple has to hate how ridiculous that looks with all those cables attached to their product. They create simplistic products but breed a third party dongle culture essentially making the product look like one big cluster fnck.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Just clones the iPad screen. No separate display really. What does this really benefit? I can already do that with AirPlay. Besides being slightly faster I don’t see the point in using an iPad as an external monitor. You can turn off the brightness and just have the tv as the display?

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
Seriously? Lol. There are people who have both a notebook and a tablet. An iPad is great because it’s touch screen and apps optimized specifically for it. It’s a totally different experience doing things on the iPad and depending on what you’re doing that experience is better.

That's my point. I wish people would stop trying to make an iPad into a laptop, or say it's a laptop replacement. They are totally different user experiences, and have different user scenarios.

jkrarup

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see why this is a better solution than having a laptop, with... you know - ACTUAL PORTS!!!

I agree! The lines between an iPad with a keyboard and an laptop are getting blurred. Imagine Photoshop will soon be available on the iPad. Now we just need Xcode to be ported to iOS.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That's my point. I wish people would stop trying to make an iPad into a laptop, or say it's a laptop replacement. They are totally different user experiences, and have different user scenarios.

Well, it’s not people. Apple created one or more ads stating that the iPad is a laptop replacement...
[doublepost=1541436450][/doublepost]
They iPad seems to be entering its awkward stage in life. No longer a child, but clearly not an adult.

As a father of one teenager (next year two) I find your point extremely good yet painful.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Oh sweet baby Steve that looks horrendous.

I don't really see the need to have ALL of those plugged in at the same time, except for maybe the wired headphone holdouts.

Reactions: Delgibbons

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I agree! The lines between an iPad with a keyboard and an laptop are getting blurred. Imagine Photoshop will soon be available on the iPad. Now we just need Xcode to be ported to iOS.
Not really. It still feels like an iPad with huge limitations. If apple wants to compare it to a laptop they need to open it up to software like a laptop. Can still be similar to how it is now but the limitations on the os has always held back the iPad and always will till it changes.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Not really. It still feels like an iPad with huge limitations. If apple wants to compare it to a laptop they need to open it up to software like a laptop. Can still be similar to how it is now but the limitations on the os has always held back the iPad and always will till it changes.

Yeah, looking at all my colleagues who are in love with their surface, at this point I agree.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, looking at all my colleagues who are in love with their surface, at this point I agree.
Apple doesn’t seem to want to do this because it will canabolize their Mac sales. I still think they have a working iPad with Mac software on it just waiting for the right time to release it. Maybe one day

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Apple doesn’t seem to want to do this because it will canabolize their Mac sales. I still think they have a working iPad with Mac software on it just waiting for the right time to release it. Maybe one day

I hope so because I am starting to feel all the limitations of my iPad Pro.
iOS is one the main reasons I buy iPhoens, and now iOS is one of the mean reasons I won’t buy the new iPP.

Reactions: Amazontabletsftw

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah there is some cross over - but it remains to be seen whether some of the artificial software restrictions in iOS will start being taken down. For instance I thought apps allowing users to run and compile code were banned on the Apple app store? (Although Apple seemed to flout their own rules with Swift playgrounds, so I suppose they could easily do it again for Xcode).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.