Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Considering the obstacles I had to overcome last year in building several radio towers, the politics and property rights to achieve this, in the United States, would be a monumental task. It may be easier to achieve in other countries where they have less regulations on building projects.

If it were like the days of the trans-continental railroad, this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve!

This. The real issue isn't the technology or even the money required to build it. The issue is acquiring the land and permits from all over the country for this large super speed rail to come through someone's town.

JaegerMaster

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
I'VE got an idea! When the soldiers come home from Afghanistan, let's give them jobs as workers on a futuristic coast-to-coast transportation system, and replace the contractor's projects from bombs to building parts for the hyperloop!!!

----------

This. The real issue isn't the technology or even the money required to build it. The issue is acquiring the land and permits from all over the country for this large super speed rail to come through someone's town.

Underground baby...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
How would the people be able to slow down going that fast without turning them into goo? Did they invented a gadget to to cancel the effects of inertia on the human body?

It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the abruptness of the stop. They decelerate the same way they accelerate: gradually.

Suppose 5 m/sec/sec acceleration and deceleration, i.e. 1/2 g. Then do the math. This is left as an exercise for the reader.

----------

Underground baby...

A sure way to reduce costs. Not.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the abruptness of the stop. They decelerate the same way they accelerate: gradually.

Suppose 5 m/sec/sec acceleration and deceleration, i.e. 1/2 g. Then do the math. This is left as an exercise for the reader.

4000 km distance as the crow flies at +/-5 m/s/s would be about 42.163 min

45 min seems quite reasonable at a comfortable rate :)

Add in TSA and it shouldn't take more than 5-6hrs!

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Those are going to be some expensive tickets - how many "trains" do you think can go down this same tube at any given time? How close do you want trains running in the opposite direction (time schedule wise) really running, with relative velocities of 4,000 MPH... ?

An air-tight tube, spanning the entire US... even pretending we had some magical walls and interconnects that didn't leak even a little - just the materials inside the tube will outgas - requiring vacuum pumps running 24/7 365. That's going to eat up some grid power, for sure. Now back in reality - where it's very hard to seal vacuum systems - how many more pumps will be needed?

What happens if a train moving @ 2,000MPH slams into atmosphere because of earth-quake, accident, terrorism - something resulting in vacuum loss. That's going to be no better than a brick wall...

If the train becomes immobilized due to an on board failure / hazard - how long to bring this tunnel to atmosphere, so that people can be evacuated?

I think this is a fantastic idea, just like a space elevator, it's going to be awesome, some day... eventually...

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Those are going to be some expensive tickets - how many "trains" do you think can go down this same tube at any given time? How close do you want trains running in the opposite direction (time schedule wise) really running, with relative velocities of 4,000 MPH... ?

An air-tight tube, spanning the entire US... even pretending we had some magical walls and interconnects that didn't leak even a little - just the materials inside the tube will outgas - requiring vacuum pumps running 24/7 365. That's going to eat up some grid power, for sure. Now back in reality - where it's very hard to seal vacuum systems - how many more pumps will be needed?

What happens if a train moving @ 2,000MPH slams into atmosphere because of earth-quake, accident, terrorism - something resulting in vacuum loss. That's going to be no better than a brick wall...

If the train becomes immobilized due to an on board failure / hazard - how long to bring this tunnel to atmosphere, so that people can be evacuated?

I think this is a fantastic idea, just like a space elevator, it's going to be awesome, some day... eventually...

Its not a vacuum

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Its not a vacuum

This is directly from the article you linked to.
The engineering behind the Hyperloop is similar to the old-school pneumatic tube systems used by banks to suck your deposit to the teller at the drive-through. But naturally, it’s more complicated than that.

A massive vacuum tube — mounted either above ground or even under water — would be combined with a magnetic levitation system used on conventional bullet trains. That means no friction, no wind resistance, no chance of collisions, and insanely high speeds.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
No vacuum, but it's going to move over 2,000 MPH @ sea level, and be much more efficient then aircraft? Has he not seen all the time / effort / energy that's gone into just breaking the 1,000 MPH barrier @ sea level - just once? Let alone doubling it, and maintaining it for thousands of miles, and hauling more cargo, and being safer...

Ignore that entirely - no vacuum - and supersonic speeds @ ground level. You think people had a problem with Concord's sonic boom 30,000 feet (or more) away? This is going to be on the ground.

I'm going to side with physics, rather than that Twitter feed...

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
No vacuum, but it's going to move over 2,000 MPH @ sea level, and be much more efficient then aircraft? Has he not seen all the time / effort / energy that's gone into just breaking the 1,000 MPH barrier @ sea level - just once? Let alone doubling it, and maintaining it for thousands of miles, and hauling more cargo, and being safer...

Ignore that entirely - no vacuum - and supersonic speeds @ ground level. You think people had a problem with Concord's sonic boom 30,000 feet (or more) away? This is going to be on the ground.

I'm going to side with physics, rather than that Twitter feed...

Does seem suspicious! At least the vacuum tube makes sense, even if its basically unaffordable.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Astronomical costs and hundreds of years of legal battles over land rights aside. Wouldn't being in a tube cause massive problems with wind resistance and compression of air ahead of the train traveling at such speeds through the tunnels? Since Musk says it does not use a vacuum. I'd think open air would be better then you have problems with a sonic boom.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.

$6 billion to build some supersonic maglev track across the entire US? The estimated cost to build a new football stadium here in town is around a billion. $6 billion to build a cross-country brand-new technology mag-lev track with cars going 4,000mph on it all the way across the country. Come on.

We can't get a freaking 5-mile track added to our subway system in Atlanta without mounds of controversy and protest and several hundred million dollars.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. But I'm going on record as saying there is no way that this project would cost $6 billion. I'll also go on record as saying that it will never happen, at least not in my lifetime.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Well today is the day that Musk is supposed to release details of his grand idea...

Personally I suspect the biggest hurdle isn't going to be technical, but rather the lobbying power of the entire air industry. From airlines to manufacturers.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That would be really neat. I think technologically, its possible. The only reasons why it couldn't be done would be funding and property right-of-ways along its intended construction paths.

Valid point. I think it would be easier to build a Hypersonic Airliner, with much less infrastructure requirements, but again, it's all about money and would something like this be able to make it? The Concord (not hypersonic) as I recall was subsided and not transport for the masses.

300px-X43a2_nasa_scramjet1.jpg

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Well today is the day that Musk is supposed to release details of his grand idea...

Personally I suspect the biggest hurdle isn't going to be technical, but rather the lobbying power of the entire air industry. From airlines to manufacturers.

And lets not forget:
- Airline pilot & flight attendants unions
- ATC Unions
- Aircraft mechanics
- Network & communication companies (no more video confering)
- Jet lag cure pill manufacturers
- Guys tired of their SO (no more excuses to not be back by nightime)
- Jiiffy Lube & the oil changing lobby
- and the all important peanut and pretzel packaging conglomerates

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Valid point. I think it would be easier to build a Hypersonic Airliner, with much less infrastructure requirements, but again, it's all about money and would something like this be able to make it? The Concord (not hypersonic) as I recall was subsided and not transport for the masses.

The problem with the Concorde was that it wasn't allowed to make transcontinental flights because of the sonic booms it created. This severely limited its market. Hypersonic aircraft wouldn't have this problem since they would be flying above the atmosphere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.