hyperterminal like program in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hhyy6634, Nov 10, 2010.

1. hhyy6634 macrumors newbie

hi, is there any program in OS X like hyperterminal in windows that can let me setup routers or switches?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Applications>Utilities>Terminal is what you're after, I believe.

3. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Telnet or SSH via Terminal only works if you have a configured network connection on the device.

You would need a terminal emulation programm such as ZTerm http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/ and a USB-Serial connector.
    I have had good success with USB-Serial connectors using the FDTI chipset.

4. mmulin macrumors 6502

You are talking via serial connection? I played with a few graphical terminals a few years ago who could do that but I never was happy with them and hence forgot their names.

What I essentially use, is the "screen" utility installed via macports, point it to the right usb2serial device and there it goes.

5. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

You can use the standard terminal application to connect to a USB RS232 adaptor, I'm at work at the moment, if I remember I'll update the post with how to do it when I get back home.

Jellyfissh is quite good if you need a nice front end to terminal.

However I've not come across anything as good as PuTTY that is MS Windows only :(

6. mmulin macrumors 6502

You might like to hear that PuTTY has been potted for use on MacOSX.

7. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Cheers I'll check it out, does it use fugly GTK ?

8. MisterMe, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are numerous terminal emulator apps available for the Mac. Some operate exclusively via TCP/IP. Others operate over a variety of protocols. You want one that can operate over a serial line. ZTerm is good, but it has not been updated since the Garfield Administration. For my money, MacWise can't be beat. For a free serial line-compatible terminal emulator, you should give CoolTerm a close look. Miracle of miracles, it is still in active development.

9. NogbadTheBad, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

I set up a session in Jellyfissh to do a ssh to the loopback address that just runs screen :-

ssh -c 3des -2 -l userid -t 127.0.0.1 -p 22 screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600;exit

screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600 << that would work from terminal.

10. hhyy6634 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the input guys!

Dose it work via usb2serial device? if it dose, ill get one of those devices

yes, I am trying to do that via serial connection, the router only comes with serial cable. If i cant get it work in OS X,would it be possible to do it on bootcamp windows?

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No.

For USB <> RS232, I use either ZTerm or CoolTerm (Usually ZTerm). I use both IOGear and Kensington adapters.

Both those adapters should work fine in Windows (BootCamp). They also work through Parallels as COM ports, if you want to run in a VM.

12. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

That's what I'm using, you just need the correct drivers for it.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which application are you using?

14. NogbadTheBad, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

I use a Belkin USB - RS232 device which uses the Prolific drivers ( PL2303_1.2.1r2.dmg )

I set up a session in Jellyfissh to do a ssh to the loopback address that just runs screen, that way I don't need to remember the device name :)

Jellyfissh spawns the following :-

ssh -c 3des -2 -l userid -t 127.0.0.1 -p 22 screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600;exit

Or you could run the following from terminal, change 9600 to whatever baud rate required :-

screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600

15. xgambit3 macrumors newbie

SecureCRT from VanDyke just released a Mac version of their software and it supports telnet/ssh/serial connections. It does cost $99US but I have been using it with my USB serial adapter without problems.

16. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I have had good success with the following adapter cables: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

They have driver for almost all operating systems incl. OSX