Hypothetical...if Apple announced tomorrow....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 20, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If apple announced tomorrow That there would be NO new iPhone of any kind until April 2012 (my stomach twists just thinking about it) would u still wait for it? I know most would be super pissed, but would u still wait?

It would be a HUGE let down for me, and I am pretty certain it would never happen. But honestly, unless something groundbreaking came out between now and then, I THINK I would wait, but it would have to be a reality for me to make that call.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yes. iOS is 80% of what makes the iPhone special. You can't get that from anywhere else.

-t

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I don't think Apple would make such an announcement

4. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Hence the word "HYPOTHECTICAL"

5. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

Yes! My current iPhone is only 16 months old. Waiting until 2012 if fine with me.

6. Trav29 macrumors member

No, I would order the iPhone 4 not long after the announcement.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thats quite a hypothetical situation... There would be a riot at 1 Infinite Loop if there was no iPhone 5.

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It wouldn't matter to me one bit, really. I have a replacement home button coming in the mail tomorrow, and *knock on wood* after I replace my current one, my iP4 should be in pristine 100% functional condition once again. With iOS 5, there's no reason for me to /need/ a new phone any time soon. Plus with that kind of delay I think we'd be much more confident in the hope that the iP5 is truly a huge upgrade instead of a processor bump.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm not looking to replace my iPhone 4 yet, just because I don't want to spend The money. If I lost my phone or something and needed one next week, I'd look hard at an Android. I doubt I'd get any of the current iPhones.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

it nothing more than a piece of electronics to me.
    If there was an announcement no new iphone until 2018, I would look else if the need arises. Hypothethically speaking.

I am content with my jailbroken ip4.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

And instead of torches and pitchforks, the rioters will be carrying iPads and iPods to beat Tim Cook with :D

But if that did happen, then I would just go get an iPhone 4 on a new contract. My current contract ends this Friday, so we'll see what happens this week (hopefully an Apple announcement so I won't just sign up for a new contract this weekend).

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It all depends if this iPhone will be an iPhone 5, or 4S.
    But regardless, i believe we can expect the next iPhone to be released 1 year from now. So we should expect a fall update schedule for the iPhone, from now on.

I believe Apple shifted the release cycles, because the iPhone was eating into the iPad's sales.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That, and it was redundant to release an iPhone and IOS in the summer, and then repeat themselves with the iPod touch refresh in the fall.

14. LoganT macrumors 68020

In the world of Apple nothing exists until they say it does on stage. The scarier thing would be Apple holding an event and having no mention of a new iPhone. That's how Apple would do it, say nothing.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Isn't this the same question as "What if there was no iPhone 5?" Why a new thread?

16. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

And this is how Apple differentiates itself from the "competitors".

There were rumors about a Samsung device having a Super AMOLED HD and shortly after that Samsung comments "they are inaccurate"... lol

17. DataEast macrumors member

I don't think I would. My Samsung Intercept isn't making any sound so I don't know right away when it rings or I get a text and no one can here me when we're I pick up. I've never had an iPhone and I'd probably just get the iPhone 4 if it came to that.

MAYBE get a cheap tracphone or something.

18. jamald macrumors newbie

I'd probably reluctantly pick up an iPhone 4. My 4-year-old blackberry curve 8320 is on its last legs, and I'll be damned if I end up with an Android phone.

19. kevintech macrumors 6502

Ditto. My phone is stable as ever with great battery life. Not really concerned about the iPhone 5 right now. Have fun waiting guys.

20. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

What are you the forum police? This is a discussion forum and not everyone can read these boards all day. If you see a redundant thread why don't you just skim over it?

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You're new with only 3 posts. If you'd understand his comment, it's better to have one thread with this issue rather than 12 threads.

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What is wrong with you? Do you not have a life at all?

One day when you grow up you will realize that there are other things in the world than a new cell phone! Do you know who the president is? If you are looking for something to worry about, this should be first on your list!:eek:

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

24. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

I would be annoyed my current contract is up and I am surviving with an old ate blade for now, want to jump ship from android to apple (mainly because of the positive iPad 2 experience).

If the didn't announce a new device (similar situation to if they only announce an iPhone 4s) I would get a 4 on a 12 month contract because they will likely be cheap.

25. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Nope, very different. I've been reading a ton of posts having to do with being incredibly anxious about the announcement of ip5. So I was curious to see if there was in fact an iPhone 5, and apple announced it today, but it wasn't going to "drop" for another 6-7 months, would people be content waiting with their current device, would non-iPhone owners get an ip4, or would people jump ship for a completely different company.

I think the majority of people would wait. Especially if Apple acknowledged it's existence. But since apple has said nothing, and people are starting to go crazy about it, is their current mindset different with this hypothetical twist.