Hysteria For 3G Iphone 2 Greater than iphone 1.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveForever, Apr 3, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

The world wide hysteria and buzz about the forthcoming 3G iphone 2.0 seems to be greater than the original iphone announcement.

Why? Because iphone 1.0 has been such a massive success and wev'e all see the touch and now the whole 3G literate World can now, finally, get their gorgeous iphone which for a year has been an unattainable dream (not many sensible people would pay over the odds for a jailbraked "couldbebrickiphone".

The competition must be crying over their buggy "wannabeiphones" as apple haven't paid a penny for all the multi million dollars worth of free advertising it has given them. The speculation over "Is the 3G Iphone imminent?" is literally everywhere. Iv'e read t in countless web sites, newspapers and for example in todays sydney Morning Herald there is a breathless 3G IPHONE IMMINENT " headline too.

It's getting exciting as soon we could have the iphone in Australia!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/3g-iphone-release-imminent/2008/04/03/1206851084530.html

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Im not to bothered for a 3G iPhone as i barely find myself without an availiable WIFI connection, so i will be sticking with my current model until they offer me something that i woud find usefull.

The memory thing isnt as issue to me either as is stick what i need on, then when ive watched / listened to it for long enough change to something else.

I cant really think of anything i would like that wont be brought out with the SDK relese, so im all good for the moment.

just my angle on things.:)

3. studlybw macrumors member

Oh well

I'm with Hudzilla on this one. 3G, though nice, isn't really a deal breaker for me. I use my iPhone for email and some web surfing but I'm usually around a wifi connection anyway. I'll use it when I'm at home on the couch and don't want to grab my laptop.
    One thing people aren't really taking into consideration is the fact that you're still surfing the internet on a very small screen. Though it has a full browser it still takes some time to scroll around and zoom in and out to read things. I wouldn't think many people use their iPhone to really "play" on the internet. Probably more to look up information they need when they're on the road. The Edge network has speeds fast enough for that.
    It is nice to know that when I upgrade it will be a 3G iPhone but I'm not sure I'll use it much different until they add more 3G enhanced features (such as a rumored video chat).
    v1 vs. v2 is pretty much comparing apples to carmel apples. One has a bit more to it but in the end they're still both apples;)

4. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

Truth about the 3g comparison

Hi Everyone -

I have never owned a 3G phone and would like to know why the big deal over 3G. If 'Edge' is 2.5 how big a leap can 3G be? Can it really be that much faster? Does anyone have any real world scenarios to compare the two speeds and the advantages. I was a day one iPhone buyer so I'll be more than anxious for something that is really going to be worth investing in a new iPhone but I would like to know if this is really that big of a deal or are we talking about slight speed improvements?

Thanks

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Given the lack of EDGE in a lot of places 3G would be welcome (I'm in the UK). O2s 3G coverage ain't so hot either but every little helps.

As for the size of the device for browsing. It's not quite as convenient as a full laptop screen but I've used it extensively since I bought in November and it's pretty close to being as capable as my Macbook.

Re: hype, I think that Apple could stand to gain a lot with a 3G version. Particularly if it's not just the current device with 3G added. If it had a slightly better camera, MMS/Video support and maybe 32GB (as an option) then I see a lot of people (including original iPhone users like myself) jumping on this.
    O2s iPhone tariff is pretty good too if you look around at what else is available.

6. cmwhitley macrumors newbie

If Apple releases a 3G iphone in the US, I assume that AT&T will be forced to increase their 3G coverage. I wonder...is the intent to completely replace EDGE with 3G, and if so, what will become of those of us who own an EDGE compatible iphone?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like a 3G phone because I don't want to pay £320 for a "top of the line" phone missing a feature that even the cheapest phones have now. Plus there is huge 3G coverage in England, why wouldn't I want a faster connection? Granted Edge would be fine for email, but I go on big hikes and I'm frequently away from the computer relying solely on phone calls to sort business out.

In my eyes it's the only thing the iPhone is lacking. Maybe make the camera bit better but its not exactly a deal breaker since I'm always carrying my EOS 350D with me.

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Not on O2. Look on their site. Dark blue is the 3G.

Most people who haven't owned an iPhone speak like you do about 3G. It would be nice but it's not essential.

All that said if the new phone is improved (camera, mms/video) over the old one I'd probably trade up right away.

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I've had both 3G and EDGE...EDGE is like dial-up (if even) and 3G is like lower end DSL...It's significantly faster...but probably not enough to pay another $400-$500 for...

I wish I was like Hudzilla and had wi-fi everywhere...well, there is, but they're all secured. =(

10. mags631 Guest

The imminent release of a 3G iPhone was used by a professor as an example in my decision analysis class this morning.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The hysteria on here is probably equal. I really don't think it'll affect a lot of us Yanks because of the limited 3G network. The EDGE network is also FASTER THAN DIAL-UP. The people claiming it's slower really need to try one out and realize how many darn pictures are being loaded. I would guess it's twice or thrice faster than dial-up.

I'm more interested in the storage increases. I'm dealing with 8GB, but I hope they keep bumping that storage up every 6 months (or quicker) to catch up with the HDD-based iPods. Flash prices will drop as more people use SSDs and Apple sells more Nanos, Touches, and iPhones.

If Apple manages to get an iPhone with about 128GB of storage in Christmas '09, I think that might be my trade-in point. But I still haven't used my iPod w/video 30GB since getting the iPhone 2 weeks ago.

12. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I gotta admit, I am WAY more excited with this iphone 2 coming than the original iphone. :D

13. drb6 macrumors regular

I don't think its just because of the 3G, although thats been certainly (over)hyped for what it'll do for people in the States at least. But definitely the storage and anticipation of other new features. And improvement of some current drawbacks including battery life and voice quality.

With 3G, we don't know if battery life can improve much, but I'm sure many people are looking forward to some increase at least. Also, the fact this will be the second revision and as far as technology goes, quality of products vastly improves as will the value.

So while I think 3G is the very prominent/advertised (not by apple) difference, there are so many other reasons why many people are looking forward to the new release.

14. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

I agree its getting exciting. There seems to be a huge buzz about iphone in Australia. With iphone 1.0 unless you are in the US you could only watch from the sidelines. Now we know it is highly likely to be a near simultaneous world wide release. Also it will have extra features most likely GPS and a better camera.

The great thing is that Apple will say OK we have GPS but how can we make it better, make it more simple, make it more useful. They always improve on a seemingly simple feature. The others say GPS, tick, camera, tick. Its just a marketing feature set, no more no less They don't really drill down into the essence of what can be improved and what to leave out.

So I'm looking forward to apples take on GPS and having my new iphone in Sydney.

15. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

hopefully it will be a worldwide rollout.. hopefully...

16. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I agree the hysetria is tangible and I Think its like a band or artist who released a stella debut album so you know how good the band are and what quality they are capable of. The buzz from the recording studios is that the second album will be even better than the first!

Its like this with iphone, we all know what an incredible FIRST phone apple produced ( ie industry shaking) so what will they do next??

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

We in the UK have had 3G videochat for at least 4 years now, and I have to say, that it's the cell phone equivalent of virtual reality back in the early 90's. It sounds great on paper, but people just don't use it enough and is generally seen as a bit of a gimmick.
    Faster data speed will always be desirable, but I can easily do without video chat, LOL.
    Now, it may be something to with the fact that a videocall I the UK is more expensive than a regular call, but even if it were the same price, I just don't see it being too popular.

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I don't think so. Places like Australia, Canada, etc. have ridiculously priced data plans, and I doubt that Apple would sell a phone that uses data so heavily in a place where 20MB of data is like $50. They'd have to work it out with the carriers and I'm not sure that will be done by the time 3G comes out. It might be released in Canada (I've heard Apple is in talks with Rogers? I dunno), Japan, South Korea, and maybe a 1-2 other places, but not really a "worldwide" rollout.

19. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

3 has the best coverage for 3g across uk and has sister netowrks in australia and hong kong etc its fab and fast its like jumping backwards from broadband to dialup for anyone that hasnt used 3g yet

20. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

21. sjo macrumors 6502a

let me try to give you an example. would you consider giving up your adsl/cable modem/whatever fixed internet connection you are using and begin using only edge? probably not. in places where 3g is well implemented people are replacing their fixed internet connection with 3g modems, and it's not just one or two geeks doing that. i think that about 10% of internet have gone 3g in just half a year, and the switchers are regular non-technically minded users.

it's that good.

it seems that next summer many are turning their cell phones into wlan access points when they go into their summer houses on vacations, there are several phones that allow you to do that. so you can turn on wlan on your laptop and it connect you to the internet throug your cell phone, no wiress needed. 3g is going to change the way people get connected.

22. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I dunno. If it's just a 3G update then I'm not buying it.

23. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

your wrong, you can buy a hiptop phone plan from Telstra with UNLIMITED INTERNET, IM and Text and 30 cents per 30 sec of talk. AND ONLY FOR $30 AU ($27 US) a month.
    http://www.telstra.com.au/hiptop/index.htm
    [​IMG]

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The good thing for iPhone owners is, the 3G model should be good for a few years on AT&T.

Whereas Verizon plans to roll out 4G LTE in 2010, AT&T is waiting until 2012.