I accidentally deleted my actual dock.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imarawkid, Nov 27, 2008.

1. imarawkid macrumors newbie

please help, i deleted my dock in terminal because i wanted to customize it, i missed a step and deleted my dock. please help me bring it back. I feel so stupid.i have no dock. and when i restarted my computer my background changed for some odd reason. since i am new to macrumors, please contact me on AIM my screen name is wittlepat

PLEASE HELP!!!:mad:

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

have someone send you the file you deleted... I'm assuming dock.app or something?

3. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it was the actual dock. i cant minimize, open dash, use spaces, anything. i dont know what to do. what do you mean by someone sending me the file.

4. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean by archive and install. sorry i dont understand im only 14 :O

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

6. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

im not even sure i went to system/library/coreservices/dock and i deleted everything out of it because i wanted to customize my dock. aparently i missed a step.

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I'm not sure this may work or not..use the disk that comes along with your mac purchase and reinstall your computer?...

8. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

there anything that could go wrong if i were to do that?

i dont want to f*** my computer up anymore then i already have.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Boot of the Leopard Install DVD (or the disk that came with your Mac). Choose 'Archive and Install'. This will keep your stuff but replace your system files.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Give me 2 seconds ill post a download link of a zip file of the dock.app on my mac, chances are, if you just expand it all into your folder, itll all work again upon restarting.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/158723/Dock.zip

Download that, un-compress it, it should show up as the Dock.app you deleted, if you put it back in the system/library/coreservices/ directory, it should either ask you if you want to replace the file that's in there (you do), or just drop it in there no problem.

If you think it's a virus I have been a member here for over a year and a regular reader of macrumors for far far longer. My way doesn't guarantee success but it'll be far quicker than archive and install.

11. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

which leopard install disk, disk one or disk two?

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There's only 1 Leopard install disc.

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Link added see my post, try my method first, as it'll be way faster than archive and install, which on my imac took almost 2 hours with 190gb of data on the hard drive...

Sky Blue There is two discs, two come with every new mac, disc one is leopard and disc two is iLife and all other bundle applications.

15. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i look at your posts. i just got this account today, also, i have one disk saying Mac OS X install disk 1 and Mac OS X install disk 2.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/158723/Dock.zip

Download that, un-compress it, it should show up as the Dock.app you deleted, if you put it back in the system/library/coreservices/ directory, it should either ask you if you want to replace the file that's in there (you do), or just drop it in there no problem.

Then restart your mac, and there is a possibility that should fix everything, if not, go with the archive and install procedure.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Disc 1

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

They're restore discs for that specific Mac, I have a dozen on my desk at work. The Leopard install DVD only has one disc.

19. Applepwns macrumors member

You want to use install disc one.
    Archive and install and it will reinstall all the system files but leave all your personal files untouched.

Good Luck!

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Disc 1. These are restore discs, not the Leopard Install DVD.

21. imarawkid thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW thank you schtumple. right away my dock just popped up. thank you so much. thank you everyone for your help on this topic.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

search for the file in the trash, unless you completely erased it via the terminal.
    Check your system preferences: command + space bar, launches spotlight, then type dock and check it.
    Meanwhile you also you can start many things via spotlight directly: command + spacebar, then type the keyword of the thing you want to open.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Quick tip: Lots of my friends (I'm 15 btw) customized their computers, PCs and Macs alike. They spend so much time doing it and not using their computers. Same goes for their iPods/iPhones. Don't mess with terminal unless you know what you are doing. And stop customizing unless it really bugs the crap outta you. Doing it just to show off is plain stupid and time wasting.

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok sorry wasn't sure if you knew.

That's ok, for future reference, never go messing with things in the system folder :p you can do a wicked amount of damage.

If you want to customize your dock, use an application called Candy Bar, it's safe, very popular, and has 100's of ready made dock and icon customizations downloadable from several sites. Including this one http://iconfactory.com/freeware They mainly do icons, but they have docks too.