I accidentally deleted my mac hard drive and my mac won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cybrax-etc, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP asks:
    "Since Apple made a promise to free upgrades the new os are free, so i was wondering if could make a bootable El Captain or Yosemite installer instead of paying for lion?"

The answer is "yes".
    But you need another, working Mac on which to do it.

2. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cybrax-etc

My friend has a macbook pro, so any instructions?

3. Fishrrman, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

"My friend has a macbook pro, so any instructions?"

1. Download "Install Disk Creator".
    2. Put the Mac OS installer app on the macbook pro, along with IDC.
    3. Have USB flashdrive of 16gb (or larger) ready, initialized to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
    4. Launch IDC. Select installer file and select target drive (USB flashdrive)
    5. Let it run (will take a little while)
    6. When done, take USB flashdrive to troubled Mac.
    7. Connect flashdrive, press power on button
    8. IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    9. Startup manager will appear.
    10. Select USB drive with pointer and hit return
    11. Mac should boot to installer app.
    12 Install from there.

PRINT THIS OUT and keep it with you.

4. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cybrax-etc

I have

My friend has regular sierra and I'm trying to install El Captain its saying the mactonish hd is the newest version.
    I don't want sierra or high sierra because they take to much ram. Any way to get el captain installer?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you are incorrect about RAM usage in Sierra, --- but you can get the El Capitan from the App Store, if that's what you want.
    Here's a link...

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The only solution for anyone who wants to recover their data and have no backup is (1) kick yourself for not having a backup, (2) stop touching your Mac and get professional help.

The solution for anyone who doesn't want to get into that situation is to use reliable backup, for example Time Machine. Then you can use Internet recovery mode. You might consider instead getting a new hard drive first, especially on a 2011 Mac. That hard drive is six years old. All hard drives _will_ fail eventually.

7. Cybrax-etc, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cybrax-etc

I went to that link and can't install installer on macbook pro because its running regular sierra.
    Its Saying mactonish hd is running the newest version.

My Plan: Create a El Captain bootable usb drive and use that to do clean install of el captain to the iMac

8. Cybrax-etc, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017

Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cybrax-etc

Created a bootable usb high sierra and left for like 10 mins and came back and this is happenning
    Any ideas on whats happenning?

Video:

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

That's because you don't run the installer. One way to create the USB was explained earlier and step #1 after downloading it was to quit the installer when it opens.

Here is Apple's official page on how to create the install media: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

@Cybrax-etc it's REALLY hard to tell from that video, it doesn't really show much but the spinning color wheel (or "beachball"). Did you use the application previously suggested? That app may not support creating a High Sierra disk, or may not support that OS as the "host" for creating the drive. Apple's command line (which I posted above) may work more reliably.

11. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cybrax-etc

What you said is the only thing there on the mac. I followed a tutorial from 9to5mac on youtube.

This is what I watched:

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you have no backups the LAST thing you want to do is install any software or doing any writing to the disk.

Take the disk drive out of the computer and put it some place safe. Now is the time to upgrade the disk drive. A small SSD costs only about $100. Reinstall the OS on the new drive but do NOT write anything to the old drive as doing so will overwrite the data you deleted and make recovery impossible.

Once you have a working computer, ask here about data recovery.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2017 ---
    I'd say "no", You wrote a copy of Max OS all over your data. There might be little bits of it left

What happens when you "delete data" is the data is not erased but it is but back on the "heap" if disk blocks that may be used for new data. It is not over written until those blocks are actually used by new files. Writing a new OS to the drive created literally a million files, many of them reusing blocks that contained your old data.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2017 ---
    Yes exactly. After an error like that the best thing to do is turn the power off and remove the disk drive from the MacBook. At that point the data will be easy to recover. Get a brand spanking new SSD for the Mac and an empty USB disk drive enclosure for your old disk.

I recently replace an old hard drive with an SSD in a 2011 MBP and the performance difference is dramatic. Will worth the money.

13. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cybrax-etc

Thanks everyone my iMac is fine and I have high sierra perfectly working
    This Forums I guess ends. Thank you everyone :)