Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
On the CTA Red Line Roosevelt stop. These two black guys in black jackets one with a red baseball cap started acting all sketchy and telling me I was acting nervous. I was like "I'm not nervous, why should I be?" but I already knew what was up. This has never happened to me before but I always knew it was coming.

Anyhow I tried to get on the train and one of the guys grabbed my backpack and pulled me off and I just looked at him and then tried to run onto the car which was like half full. So they get on as well and start talking some more **** to me. I'm like 5 ft 7 so there was no pretending to be tough. Anyhow, I tell the 6.3 white guy next to me that if one of these guys hits me to pull them off of me. The black dudes were saying "There is no support, no help here." Who really tries to threaten people like that? So I said back.. "Anybody with a conscience helps out someone who needs it.. But you wouldn't know that cause your nothing like these people." The guy next to me between the next three stops went to the back of the car and hit the button to speak to the train conductor and told him to call the police or something or other.

When we got to Lake a CTA woman asked if everything was alright so I explained what was up, one of the guys denied it so I told them he was full of **** and got off. As I got off the guy punched me in the back! Like that was going to make a difference at this point. The train and subway are full; its rush hour. Anyhow, she told me to go to the front car and one of the guys was like yeah.. go to the front car. I knew if I did they would follow me. I found another CTA guy who was looking for them and he told me to go up the escalator because a few cops were there. Just before I got on I saw the two guys because of the red hat (there were a TON of people in the subway). I told the cops they were still down there and they all went down. I was looking around for them but didnt see them. A person came up described the two guys and said they ran up the escalator next to the one I just came down on.

I was so frustrated I didnt see them. It was packed with people which stopped me from getting my ass handed to me but it also let them get away. I'm pretty certain they got away. I'm just so frustrated people like this exist.

All my friends are working and I needed to vent. I knew sooner or later it was going to happen to me cause I'm just a short preppy white kid. Time to carry a knife?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
A knife isn't worth **** if you don't know how to use it. Boxing classes/some type of martial arts would be more worth it, you don't need tools, you will be mentally and physically stronger than carrying a knife, and people will respect you more.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Time to carry a knife? That's a good way to get yourself killed.

If anything, carry pepper spray. You want to deter violence, not allow it to be turned against you.

If you are concerned, one of the most effective things I think you could do is to dress differently. Dress poor or freaky and I bet you'd be a lot more likely to be left alone.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Glad you are safe and sound to tell us about it.

I doubt the knife would help you, but at least there were people around and nothing happened.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
That's horrible. I'm glad things like that are rare here.... I feel bad that good people get mixed up with idiots like those muggers .....

Anyway the only real advice I have is to NOT to carry a knife. They are extremely dangerous if you don't know how to use them and can easily be turned against you if you don't have the skills to handle it. You could get injured or you could injure/kill your attacker and be charged.
If you feel the need you could go get some self defence training in something like krav maga which is designed for "real life" street self defence including weapon disarming and stuff but just be aware that it will take a long time for you to be any good. Don't expect to be able to protect yourself straight away.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I totally agree with the self defence class ideas. I've been the victim of attempted violence on the blue line in Chicago. I'm a skinny guy, but I'm 6 foot and very athletic, most recently a rugby player for 4 years, but honestly, it wasn't anything I did, but my attitude and confidence that IMO stopped the situation before it turned violent. Don't get me wrong, I was scarred sh**less, but I stayed calm.
Best of luck.

miamiracing

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Arlington,VA ; Nashville,TN
happened to me once too..

that **** is ****ed up, it was around 2 AM when i got into the train and this 2 drunken white fellows started acting all weird and ****... both of them where like 5'5 - 5'6 and about 180lbs.. they came to me at the same time and one of them took a little pocket knife and told me to shut the **** up and give him all my stuff..

I'm 6'1 260lbs.. guess what i did? i gave him ****, i told him **** u and punshed right under his hand and he dropped his knife and i slammed my flat hand into his buddies face.. he felt down and guess what? the other dude picked them up and they run away...

i was ready to eat them lol

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I don't see what race has to do with this. I'm white and I got a weird feeling reading all the black and white stuff.

A knife won't help you, its time to strap up.

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
**** like this is the reason I live in the great state of TEXAS where carrying guns (with a license), and shooting people in self defense is legal!! Not that I condone the killing of stupid thugs, but if it comes down to it you gotta do what you gotta do. I suggest getting a taser, pepper spray just pisses people off, a taser will take them down, and keep them down until police arrive. Also learning how to fight wouldnt be a bad idea, and anyone who tells you that kicking a guy in the balls is a ***** thing to do is down right foolish, kick and run, then get help.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I don't see what race has to do with this. I'm white and I got a weird feeling reading all the black and white stuff.

A knife won't help you, its time to strap up.

I only said black referring to the color of their skin twice. I guess that was once more than I needed to but I said what I said.

I dont see it as a deal.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Don't use any weapon unless you are very good with it, you can get yourself hurt or killed. That being said, a stun device of some kind is just a matter of pushing a button and it's much less likely to do permanent damage to you if turned around.
I've been jumped and been in fights so I know something about this.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
when you carry a weapon on your person people will assume you are looking for trouble. I carry a locking 2.8" locking pocket knife in my backpack but that is because I a huge nerd (boy scout lol). You handled it the safest way. remember that it is just stuff. Don't get seriously hurt over something you can replace with a trip to the store.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
I agree that its great that you walked away with little damage to yourself.

It doesn't sound like they wanted to mug you since they didn't take anything from you. It sounds as if they were just bored and were looking to pick a fight with someone. Real winners...one punched you in the back and not face to face.

I don't suggest that you carry a weapon on you since it is very easy to have it used against you. Like others have suggested, a self-defense class would be helpful. Not only would it train you for when you need it but it also boosts your self-confidence.

As for the recommendation for krav maga: Krav maga is a VERY good self-defense art but is VERY hardcore. I took it for three months in NY before moving to CA and it was EXTREME!

The main thing is that you made it out safe. That is the main point. Even when taking a self-defense class, you hope you never have to use it. I took Arnis since I was a little kid until high school and even though I know I can take care of myself, the main goal is to get out of a bad situation as quickly as possible.

And to Counterfit's point, I believe in the saying "All is fair in love and war". If you are being attacked, you do what you need to take care of yourself. If that means I have to eye gouge, ball kick, or give a compound fracture kick to the knee to get out safe, I'm doing it.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I feel like chicago is way more dangerous than nyc nowadays. honestly it is one of the good reasons for the gentrification of nyc because you just know what areas not to really be travelling through.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
if you ever want to learn self-defense
i suggest judo or aikido (im asian lol thats why) because it teaches a lot about using the other persons force against them and avoiding their attacks. and if you ever want to you can judo flip some dude and lock him down in submission and ask someone to call the cops but i dont think they'll think your the victim though lol but yea.
taking some martial arts even just simple take downs or disarming is good because once you put the attacker in a awkward position you'll have 2 choices take him down to the ground or run and call the cops

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
**** like this is the reason I live in the great state of TEXAS where carrying guns (with a license), and shooting people in self defense is legal!!

The rest of the country really needs to issue more CCWs. I firmly believe there would be far less violent crime against innocent people. Don't get me wrong, there would be accidents and silly things. But, you gotta have some serious balls to think about robbing someone who might be packing.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
On the CTA Red Line Roosevelt stop. These two black guys in black jackets one with a red baseball cap started acting all sketchy and telling me I was acting nervous. I was like "I'm not nervous, why should I be?" but I already knew what was up. This has never happened to me before but I always knew it was coming.

Anyhow I tried to get on the train and one of the guys grabbed my backpack and pulled me off and I just looked at him and then tried to run onto the car which was like half full. So they get on as well and start talking some more **** to me. I'm like 5 ft 7 so there was no pretending to be tough. Anyhow, I tell the 6.3 white guy next to me that if one of these guys hits me to pull them off of me. The black dudes were saying "There is no support, no help here." Who really tries to threaten people like that? So I said back.. "Anybody with a conscience helps out someone who needs it.. But you wouldn't know that cause your nothing like these people." The guy next to me between the next three stops went to the back of the car and hit the button to speak to the train conductor and told him to call the police or something or other.

When we got to Lake a CTA woman asked if everything was alright so I explained what was up, one of the guys denied it so I told them he was full of **** and got off. As I got off the guy punched me in the back! Like that was going to make a difference at this point. The train and subway are full; its rush hour. Anyhow, she told me to go to the front car and one of the guys was like yeah.. go to the front car. I knew if I did they would follow me. I found another CTA guy who was looking for them and he told me to go up the escalator because a few cops were there. Just before I got on I saw the two guys because of the red hat (there were a TON of people in the subway). I told the cops they were still down there and they all went down. I was looking around for them but didnt see them. A person came up described the two guys and said they ran up the escalator next to the one I just came down on.

I was so frustrated I didnt see them. It was packed with people which stopped me from getting my ass handed to me but it also let them get away. I'm pretty certain they got away. I'm just so frustrated people like this exist.

All my friends are working and I needed to vent. I knew sooner or later it was going to happen to me cause I'm just a short preppy white kid. Time to carry a knife?
Concealed carry!

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Self-defense classes wouldn't hurt, but it sounds like you protected yourself well using your wits. I was attacked a few times when I was living in London (Holloway and Wood Green), but, as in your situation, I knew something was up before a blow was thrown (or a bat was swung) and I think my awareness of that saved me each time.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I stay calm when this happens.
Granted the closest that's happened is some kid trying to steal my iPod on a bus. That was stopped with some calm words.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Haha, you live in the nice part of AZ lol.. There are pricky people everywhere though.

My high school is another story. I don't understand how so many people who live in such expensive homes can dress with so little sense of standard. I don't want to see your boxers, and I'd rather not see your crack, thank you.

It's almost funny when people try to take my stuff at school and elsewhere. Watching out of the corner of my eye and saying "I wouldn't do that if I were you" typically does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.