I am being charged for using wifi....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doc2142, Aug 10, 2010.

1. doc2142 macrumors member

So today I got my bill and there is a an extra 50 bucks charge on it. Called tmobile and they told me your iphone has been using a data plan, I said I don't use the data plan and I never activate the lady said do you use wifi? I was like yeah... she said well yeah there was an update that T mobile users with Iphone that use wifi will get charged with data plan... WTH is up with that.... Is there any way around this?

2. 184550 Guest

Sounds like someone should have read the (probably updated) TOS.

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

Wow, this definitely makes me not want to go to TMO. How can they charge you for using WiFi, it's not their service..

4. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

That is BOGUS.

How is that even allowed? They have absolutely no control over your ISP. You are paying separately for the internet, what the hell gives them the right to charge you?

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Probably the same thing as AT&T. If you have a "smartphone" you have to have a data plan whether you use it or not. $50/mo sounds kind of outrageous though.

6. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I think we should get all the facts first. The customer service advisor may have been getting her facts wrong. Maybe she didn't understand it was your own private wifi network. Maybe she assumed you meant a public wifi hotspot, the ones that your carrier will charge you to connect to? Have you connected to any of those?

7. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

8. Kayan macrumors 6502

Calling out to other TMO users...Is this the case for you too? I want to hear from more than one user about this if it exists.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

This makes no sense. Tmobile doesn't offer iPhone. How can they have any regulations about tmobile users with iPhone. Do you have a tomobile phone that has a wifi hotspot? If so, there may be a charge for data provided by the hotspot but whether you use an iPhone or a laptop to access the hotspot is irrelevant.

10. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

First, read over any terms of service. There may be some provision for certain wifi networks. Your home network, they can't charge you for. Any public hotspot will have their own charges for using their hotspots. This may be Tmobile trying to force a carrier network charge to use their network. If that's what they are doing, either push the usage to it's limit or find out how much data they claim that you used. If they claim that you used no data on their network, challenge the charge.

11. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

not the case for me. im skeptical this is even possible.

12. illutionz macrumors 65816

Are you using this at public hotspot? Maybe a T-Mobile public hotspot?

If you're at home then they shouldn't charge you a penny....

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for no replay I was out.

ill give the whole story....

2 Month ago my bill came 45 more dollars then normal. I thought it was a mistake so I called tmobile and they told me that one of your phones which was an iphone activated their 1 dollar/mb service. I asked her how do you activate that, she said that if you just click on your browser there is a prompt that comes up and ask you if you want to activate it and you said yes. Well I never seen anything like that and I have had iphone for a long time.

So also said you are still using it and your going to be charged 50 bucks for next month. I was like ok how can we fix this. She said well if we put a internet line on this for free (they have a free 30 day try thing) we can remove the 50 bucks thats coming up, as for the first 45 bucks we are willing to pay half and you pay half. I agreed and she told me to after the billing cycle ends call us so you can cancel your 30 day free internet so you don't get charged for it.

So today I called because my bill was high when I check on my phone so I called and Asked why after long talks they said they forgot to add the credits and what not, so they took care of it and I told her to cancel the 30 day of internet thing because the 30 days is coming up. She said she can see that i have been using the data (which I wasn't I was using wifi) I told her i didn't all I use is wifi, then she said well there is an update for the iphone that even if your using your HOME wifi you are still using our data plan which we will charge you for. I asked her if she can put a block on it she said she can't. So as long as I am using home wifi I am going to get charged for it as a data plan. Which is about 1 bucks for 2mb or something like that. That will add up quickly to about 45 or 50 bucks.

15. antdawe macrumors regular

This is false information.

It would be impossible for t-mobile to know you are connected to wifi.

16. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I'm calling BS on this. When you use Wifi you are NOT using their data bandwidth. I'd be calling back and raising hell about that. Ask to speak to a supervisor, whatever you have to do. There's no way that can be legal.

17. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

Its not false this is exactly what happened. I am thinking about calling again and talking to a supervisor see what he says.

Is there a way to completely turn off data? like when you have in sbsettings and you turn off data... how do you do that with out sbsettings?

18. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

What country are you in?

To turn off data, go to settings -> general -> network and turn off "Cellular data"

When this is on, your iPhone may still be using data, especially if you have apps running in the background and if you receive/send any MMS.

19. mike5411 macrumors regular

my time is limited so im just going to make a list.

tmobile can tell when youre using an iphone.
    they dont care.
    in the past to use data, you had to have a data plan.
    recently, they changed it so your can pay by the mb and this is automatically enabled.
    also, they changed how their apn works. in the past you needed to put in wap.voicestream.com or epc.t-mobile.com. now it works with any apn.

basically with their new system, internet working with any apn and the charge by mb, your phone used some data when it wasnt on wifi and you were charged. Could of been the periodic email checks or just using the internet since you though it was wifi bc you had no data plan.

to solve this, call tmo and buy a data plan or block pay per use.

20. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

I asked if I can block pay per use and they said no....ill try again, and yes what the person above me said is correct.

21. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

you need to keep that checked on if you want to use mms. i have it checked and am definitely not being charged per mb of wifi so its a moot point anyway.

22. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I called and this time the lady was very helpful. She actually said YOU can turn off pay per use on the phone and there wont be any chargers with the iphone.

HOWEVER, she said if I didn't have that there are chances that while I am using wifi because the iphone like to use the internet it automatically turns the pay per use on and they can't do anything about unless I call and restrict the phone from activating it by it self.

So we will see next month if I get any chargers.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe Tmobile charges you when you use the house phone too.

24. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Yeah, T-Mo was charging me to use data on my Shoe Phone grrrrr...

25. wenglish macrumors member

This sounds very sneaky. Did they tell their customers who don't have data plans? (I do have a data plan and they didn't tell me so maybe they sent out a selective notification)