iPad Pro I am convinced Apple is deliberately holding back iPad Features updates

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Dec 15, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

its been at least 3 software updates since the iPad Pro launched in March 2016 and what has the IPA dPro received in terms of updates or useful features. Nothing

Doesn't that seem odd. To anyone else. Mainly so when the new iPad comes out there will be more hype and things to talk about.

2. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

The ipad pro 12.9" was released a year ago and the 9.7" ipad pro is only 10 months old. They should both be updated in a couple months along with the release of the rumored bezel-less 10.5" iPad pro. Patience. I'm sure they will all see significant upgrades that take advantage of the new iOS. The current ones work just fine with it!

3. ericwn macrumors 68000

I think the OP's point is that the software is lacking, he's not really waiting for new hardware.

4. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Agreed, the hardware on the 12.9 is more than adequate. Why buy new flashy processor or a few MP more screen space, when the software is not even using full potential of what we have now?

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The lack of proper software on the iPads is the main reason for the decline in sales. iOS 10 had nothing to offer to iPads outside of a third column view in Mail/Notes.

Apple could very well be holding things back for the 10.3 release, but if nothing is shown for the rumored March Event then that is a really poor decision.

The hardware is already outpacing the software by leaps and bounds, so hopefully they start catching up.

6. Kostas3000 macrumors member

software
    I absolutely agree that the software is seriously lagging!

7. jozero macrumors 6502

Stuff takes time. One positive is it has been a while, and we know Apple loves the iPad Pro, so perhaps they have taken a step back and re-thought the entire document structure, inter app operation, and system wide pencil usage. Instead of iteration, kill it and surprise us all with one epic release.

8. bensisko macrumors 65816

What are you expecting?
    If you're expecting Apple to build in a File Manager, Mouse Support and all of the other fantasy items that have been mentioned in previous wish list threads (to make it more "pro"), I wouldn't hold your breath.

It always confuses me when people expect that iOS will change in nature just for the iPad, especially when there's no separate version of Mac OS for the MacBook vs. iMac vs. Mac Pro.

I wouldn't hold your breath. People were hoping for a surprise mass-change in iOS 10.2 and it didn't materialize - I doubt it's coming with iOS 10.3.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

10.3 is probably geared toward the iPads. That's when the new iPads will be released.

10. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

All I want is a dedicated button for the flash on my ipad pro 9.7"

11. bufffilm, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Apple needs to update split-windows further for the iPad. That's for starters.

And does it need to be said that the Pro 12.9" screen should allow more icons per row...it's downright silly that we still can't do this!

A max of 6?! This is almost a 13" screen...lets get real, Apple!

12. Amy Pond and me macrumors newbie

Amy Pond and me

iOS 10.3? No big changes should be expected, but iOS 11 should bring real advances for iPad Pros to really take off.

13. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

There's always features held back for future software releases. Either because they just aren't ready, or because the company developing it want to make a big deal out of a new feature in a new software release.

There's also more than a few features that users want on iOS that will likely never appear. Not at least until the inevitable day when iOS and macOS are merged and that's a fair ways off.

That said I do agree that by this point in time there should have been a deeper refinement of the iPad side of iOS, rather than having it by and large identical to the iPhone side of things.

I doubt very much that the few lacking features and refinements are much to do with the vast majority of the falling sales of iPads though. That would be more reasonably explained by the data showing that people are upgrading tablet devices significantly less often than, for example, their phones and in many cases less than they did their laptops.

The hardware in an iPad, especially over the last few years has been so good that there's not a huge draw to upgrade. The iPads can comfortably last several years without needing replacement. They still perform the tasks people want them to right up to the point where they either break, or become so unusably slow and unresponsive that it makes you want a new one.

Everyone I know (bar myself of course as I upgrade often out of necessity) who owns an iPad has either owned the same one for years (even a couple still using their iPad 2's,) or intends to keep the one they have for the foreseeable future. And from what I gather from further discussion on the subject, that seems to be the case for most "normal" consumers. By normal consumers I mean of course, no-one on here.

For a subset of the more technically minded, spec-driven, new gadget smell owning crowd (us ;)) a distinct lack of certain software features may well contribute to a list of reasons not to upgrade, but that doesn't seem to be the case for Joe public.

14. malko macrumors member

macOS scales well from Macbook to iMac. iOS does NOT scale well from iPhone to iPad Pro. The OS is configured to work well on 4" and there's so far very little done to make it more useful on 13". For me this is a dealbreaker.

I have an iPad Air and I like it for Netflix and web browsing. But because of software limitations it just isn't very efficient for me to do real work on.

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I hate that Apple won't put their stock apps in the App Store like Google does with Android. Not that I really want to see more frequent updates to them as I barely use most of them, but that's exactly why I want that.

Most of iOS 10's new features were just updates to a lot of apps I don't even use, including Messages. Stock apps should be updated through the App Store and system updates should focus on features outside of individual applications.

16. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Honestly, aside from myself, I don't know anyone who upgraded their Windows laptops often. Typically, non-techies I know only replace their laptops when they start experiencing hardware issues. Maybe it's different on the Mac side of the grass.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I agree. And then people wonder why PC sales are declining. They've reached a point where a 6 or 7 year old computer will still do everything that most people need it to. Smartphones and tablets are getting there too. People don't really need to buy a brand new phone every 2 years, and definitely not a brand new iPad.

18. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

What do you mean that the OS does not scale well from the iPhone to iPad Pro?

I have the 12.9 iPP and I have no issue with scaling. iOS has made changes to help benefit the larger 12.9". But the main reason for it is the screen real estate, the ability to read, view various content or do some creativity work is a huge benefit for the bigger screen.

I don't understand the criticism of 12.9 iPP, although in iOS there needs more done for the iPP... but the iPad was introduced in 2010. There has been improvements since then, we live in a society where we want things fast and instant.

But if Apple follows that path... you think the quality control is bad now, it would be hella worst!

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I beg to differ.

Apple has concentrated on the iPhone these last 1.5 yrs and aside from giving us the pencil and rudimentary split-Windows, little else for the iPad side of things.

That has got to change.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well I never actually mentioned an operating system but I'm still using my 2012 iMac, but I have added 32GB of RAM and an SSD. Haven't had a laptop in years.

The majority of my friends and family who use MacBooks of various types are much the same, they keep their systems a decent length of time. Of those I know who actually use Windows systems, most aren't techies and I know a fair few who replace their systems fairly often. Certainly more than I would deem a respectable length of time to keep a system (which before you ask I'd say is no less than 3 years if you don't upgrade components.)

The most common reason they tell me is that it's become too slow. Now I know they don't buy underpowered systems in the first place, so I can only assume they're not keeping up with maintenance. Or they're overloading the system with unnecessary crap, which based on what I've seen on some of them is definitely the case, how many browser bar extensions does a person need? I'm all in favour of none, but that's just me.

These aren't the sort of people who upgrade components, nor does it seem are they the sort of people who pay heed to, get all of that crap off your computer :D they prefer to just buy a completely new system when things slow down.

I've known people who'll buy a completely new laptop just because there's a new version of Windows out. Despite being advised to keep the one they have and just upgrade the bloody software. I don't know, maybe they just like to spend money :rolleyes:

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If I may offer up my own example...still using a bunch of Lenovo laptops running Win7 (several of each x200, x200s, and x201 laptops)...outfitted with 8gb RAM 500gb HD and doing fine. Bought in 2010 and 2011.

None are running slow (aside from slow boot-up) which is normal for Win7. Only time I reboot them is when prompted by the AV.

Just recently built a NUC w/Win10 and it seems pretty good.

22. rui no onna, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I guess most of my acquaintances are just cheapskates when it comes to tech. Most are using computers that are at least 5 years old (Core 2 Duo) and the ones with newer PCs are those that have had motherboard or PSU failures. :p

Meh, if I plan to upgrade to a new version of Windows and not build my own, I'll replace the entire PC, too. A full reinstall is necessary anyway (at least if you don't want the system to be bug-ridden) and PC manufacturers can get the Windows license much cheaper. You can get relatively decent brand new PCs for $300-500 (including Windows license) nowadays.

Besides, most folks who don't maintain their PCs tend to also be ill-equipped to do full OS installs.

The family desktop is Windows 7 quad-core i7 custom built in 2009 but has received a couple of SSD upgrades circa 2010 (40GB), 2011 (120GB) and 2012 (240GB). Thanks to the SSD, the system is running faster than the day I first built it. :)

23. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

i think the software is not really lagging. Apple recently added split screen among other useful features. You can edit 4K video on the iPad Pro now along with amazing things you can do with the Apple Pencil. Sure, you can't run osx on iPads, but im happy with the iOS so far.

24. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I think SSDs are an amazing upgrade for any computer, I noticed a huge difference when I switched from my (crappy) iMac spinner to a nice fast SSD. It's extended the life of the old gal :)

I actually think from my own experience that Windows is getting better when it comes to being a system hog these days. I'm finding Windows 10 to be better than Win8 was on my system, though I rarely use it so it could be a placebo effect, I probably wouldn't properly notice unless I used it regularly.

25. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Agreed. To be honest, aside from processing intensive tasks such as 3D rendering, video encoding, gaming, etc, storage (particularly smallblock random I/O) is the biggest bottleneck for most users. Indeed, lots of complaints I see regarding slowness can be solved by switching to SSD (multiple background processes and I can hear the HDD grinding). For some reason though, casual users always focus on the capacity difference between SSD and HDD despite them not needing that much space so it's practically impossible to get them to upgrade.