Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
byla said:
This is what is most worrying

It seems that noone is developing real, public used 64 bit applications for OS X, not even Mental Images with their not so public Mental Ray.

Even Maxon gave up on offering Cinema 4d 64 bit on OSX and that is very very sad, maxon being one of the best supporters for 3d graphics on Macs.

Overall, it looks like this Tiger is lots of bull and eyecandy. Nothing more. Sure it has some nice stuff, but come on. Even Microsoft is offering real 64 bit OS!!!!

Apple seemed to be on the vagon with 64 bit processing when presenting their g5. What happened? I tell you what. iPod happend. And thats a shame.
First of all, Tiger has tons of new features that have nothing to do with eye candy, but are intended for developers (apart from 64-bit aspects of the system).

Secondly, you say that microsoft offers a real 64-bit OS. Yeah, right. They offered a 32-bit OS on already but it didn;t work the way it should.

It's like "yeah, windows have a search function also, so what's the fuss about spotlight?". The fuss about spotlight is that it rocks, and although it is another search function, it is faster, more reliable, and more elegant.

Same thing happens with 64-bit support and applications that use it. Microsoft is developing 64-bit OS. But what applications use that feature on the PC? 3? 4? And we are talking about proffessional programs only. So, apple has given the basic 64-bit support that these companies need to build an application to use the necessary features. And believe me, if Maxon and every other company wanted to make a program 64-bit on the mac, they would have done this already. The reasons why they haven't done this yet are other.

Anyway, Apple will fully implement 64-bit support when they really have to. When apple releases a product, the first thing they check is wether it works perfectly (apart from some minor bugs that will be fixed with future updates). When microsoft releases a product, it may not work at all! So before you start making assumptions, buy microsoft's 64-bit OS, and see how things happen. Then, when you will have completed your evaluation, apple will have released a fully 64-bit compatible OS that will WORK.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
Something doesn't sound right here...

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Tiger upgrade CD/DVD".

I have one right here that came from mini preloaded with Panther. The disc label reads "CPU Drop In DVD", part number 2Z691-5341-A, and the disk name when mounted is "Mac OS X Upgrade DVD".

A DVD from the retail Tiger box is labeled "Install DVD", part number 2Z691-5305-A, and the disk name when mounted is "Mac OS X Install DVD".

I'm too lazy to bother and see if the installer from the "upgrade" DVD will allow an install from scratch, but it's definitely a different disc.

"Network cable unplugged" is a Windows XP error message that (thankfully) doesn't appear on Mac OS X.

It's probably a reference to the attached.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
iMeowbot said:
I have one right here that came from mini preloaded with Panther. The disc label reads "CPU Drop In DVD", part number 2Z691-5341-A, and the disk name when mounted is "Mac OS X Upgrade DVD".

A DVD from the retail Tiger box is labeled "Install DVD", part number 2Z691-5305-A, and the disk name when mounted is "Mac OS X Install DVD".

I'm too lazy to bother and see if the installer from the "upgrade" DVD will allow an install from scratch, but it's definitely a different disc.

It's probably a reference to the attached.
Wow. I had no idea either of those existed. I learn something new every day I visit these forums...

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I installed Tiger on my iBook G4. It runs GREAT for me. Everything is super fast, my dashboard is great, final cut, aim, firefox, not a problem. The only thing that is not working is Software Update, but a friend of mine is going to fix that for me soon. (It keeps crashing)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm only having one problem with Tiger, and that is that it needs to reconnect with my bluetooth mouse nearly every time I turn on the computer (but not actually every time... strange). Other than that, haven't noticed anything wrong or buggy.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
Wow. I had no idea either of those existed. I learn something new every day I visit these forums...
Those discs seem to be relatively rare, presumably they only ship with machines in the assembly pipeline when a major OS release happens. It was a nice stroke of luck that the minis came with those discs, they had been on backorder through CDW and I was expecting to have to go through the up-to-date thingy.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
MacTruck said:
I'm with ya. If it wasn't for a few features I would go back to panther. Spotlight, dashboard = worthless.
now u know what you are talking about. not jobs on his little keynote

cept for the weather app. my pb was so incredibly slow for the first 2 hours i turn on my comp every day because it is indexing spotlight. i can't find things BY THE NAME OF THE DOC.. i type somthing in, because i remember the name. and it doesn't show.. i want to find a chat with soandso right? ichat archives my chats for me. i spotlight soandso, and all i get is some other chat where i mentioned soandso's sn..

on to dashboard. it is useless except for weather, and calculator..

everything else: useless. i installed tiger because i got it for free because i have a seeding account with apple. the one thing i like about it is the one thing apple is still good about: the new looks.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
virus1 said:
now u know what you are talking about. not jobs on his little keynote

everything else: useless. i installed tiger because i got it for free because i have a seeding account with apple. the one thing i like about it is the one thing apple is still good about: the new looks.
You paid for the developer seed, and you think all to tiger is dashboard and spotlight???

Only the good thing is the new looks?
What are you doing with a developer seed? Planting it in the ground? :(
There's way more to tiger than just consumer features you know...

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Hey there everyone, sorry I didn't respond to my own theard, I have been out for a couple of days moving back home.

However, I do want to get a few certain things strait. Just because I have not had good luck with Tiger does not mean that it can't be a great OS. I have noticed as well as many other people that Tiger has some bugs. My opinion is Apple should have waited longer or done more user testing to make sure things had been worked out. That being said, spotlight is a feature that I enjoy, as is dashboard. I think the ideas behind the OS are fine. Unlike some, I am not opposed to Spotlight, but I am opposed to my computer running in a non stable environment.

However, I haven't experienced the problems that some people have mentioned about Kernel panics, etc. I agree with other members that most of the time Kernel panics are the cause of bad Hardware. And I suppose I should be happy that to this day my G5 has never had a kernel panic.

My point of posting this thread was that Tiger has some serious issues, at least for some of the users. I am one of these people. The hope is that in the long run Tiger will become the best Apple OS to date. But right now I just think it has too many issues and was released too early. I can't change my opinion on that because I have been experiencing the problems first hand.

I am happy that some of you have had such a great experience, that's the way it should be. However, many of us have not had this feeling yet, and are waiting for updates hoping it will fix our problem.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Soulstorm said:
And If you haven't, then you should seriously consider that the upgrade from Panther to Tiger was not the same as Jaguar to Panther. THis is the most complete OS revision that ever happened in OS X since the upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1.

I respectfully disagree. I got on the OS X gravy train back at 10.2.6, and I will say without a doubt that from this users' point of view, Panther over Jaguar is a significantly bigger step than Tiger over Panther. When I say this user, I should clarify - I'd be categorised as having a well above average grasp of computing, but I couldn't care less about things "under the hood" of the OS, such as the new kernel.

Panther felt about twice as fast as Jaguar on my hardware of the time, and added significant polish to the OS X experience. Tiger has offered speed increases, yes, and some polish. But for me, Spotlight, Dashboard etc are nothing in comparison for the main reason I rate the Jaguar-Panther transition so highly: Exposé. Within two hours on Panther, I knew this would change my computer use forever. In a month or so on Tiger, I have not found anything of this magnitude.

Technically I'm sure Tiger is the biggest leap. But I don't see how any user except those with ultra-specific needs could claim the 10.3->4 leap is bigger than 10.2->3.

So, don't complain. Please look if someone else is having the same problems as you have before you say something is incomplete.

Again, with respect, you are using your opinion to tell him not to express his. This doesn't work. He has every right to complain, and as Mac forums all over the web have shown, people have had issues with the new OS.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Tiger has been perfect, NO PROBLEMS with TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz and Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 Original. No offense, but talk to apple before u tell us what u think. Yeah i have heard from friends that some people are having problems, is it bad, yeah it shouldnt be happening, but is it life threatening NO, not at all. I am not disappointed in Tiger, in fact i love it, I absolutely LOVE spotlight and dashboard is pretty cool too, but what i like the most is the new mail app and the faster load up times for my g5, the real fact of nature was that this OS was designed more for 64 bit than it was for g4's and that is the nature of apple

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
thequicksilver said:
Exposé. Within two hours on Panther, I knew this would change my computer use forever. In a month or so on Tiger, I have not found anything of this magnitude.
Yes, but just try launching apps with spotlight (you no longer have to care where on your home folder you downloaded anything) and tell me you wanna go back to the just finder in Panther.

Or make a smart folder in the finder for all files created in the last 24 hours, last week, or files changed within the last 3 days. This type of thing has been a huge savings for me since I deal with a lot of files every day.

I'm already starting to find another thing I miss when using windows is defiantly expose and spotlight.

ja0912

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Not one problem with Tiger on 3 systems:

G3 - 500Mhz iBook
G4 - 1.25Ghz Mac mini
G5 - Dual 2.0Ghz Power Mac

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
MrSugar said:
I stood in line with the rest of the Mac nerds to see Tiger at my local Apple store. Had they told me it was still in beta testing I would have left and spent 2 hours of my life doing something better.

Tiger is very very disappointing in my eyes. To me it is an unfinished product, it feels unfinished, it acts unfinished, and the more people I see talking about it the more problems I see coming up.

I have done a clean install of Tiger, because the upgrade install messed up my entire system and I had to do a clean install. But even with that fact, Tiger still has tons of problems. I have noticed problems with preview, problems with safari, problems with dashboard, problems with Ichat, and so on.

These aren't just minor annoying bugs either, they are frustrating bugs that force me to restart, login and out, or not be able to use an entire program.

I find myself anxiously awaiting for 4.2 to come out. A few weeks ago I was waiting for 4.1 to come out, even with 10.4.1 I still feel like we are beta testing this OS.

The fact is my school's VPN doesn't work for wireless anymore, so I can't use it. iChat is so horrible with my iSight that it just comes back saying "user did not respond" even though I am talking with them on the phone with the person and we are both doing everything right! My safari quits more often than I ever remember it in the past. Preview loses it's borders and completely and locks up every now and then. I can't create new windows in safari, they just don't appear, and finder windows sometimes get cut in half and go completely buggy. The OS feels slow and runs slower than I ever remember Panther. Even with the 64 bit "claim", Panther ran faster on my G5. And still, I find myself trying to justify that Tiger is good. The problem is, it's not! Dashboard widgets don't run as fast as they should, they don't refresh until I hit F12 and then I am stuck waiting for my weather to appear for several seconds. It doesn't work nearly as well as advertised.

Realistically Tiger has a lot of problems. I use it worrying that it's all of a sudden going to crash or mess up. This isn't how an Apple OS should feel. Panther never felt like this! Panther felt stable even with 10.3.0, I never had a doubt it was worth it. Tiger feels like an operating system that shouldn't be out until this fall.

What happened Apple??? This is the first time I have ever used Apple software and felt that it wasn't what it should be. I have put thousands of dollars into Apple, I bleed white plastic blood, I profess my Apple view upon the world, and my car happily holds an Apple sticker. With this dedication I expect the best of the best. I expect that every time I turn on my computer for it to stay on without problems until the power fails. I expect it to run every program I want, and do it perfectly. I expect that the Apple made programs will work when I first open them, if I want to video conference I just hit connect, and BAM ipto facto there it is. I expect Apple's OS to increase my workflow, and make me feel like the thousands of dollars I have given them are going to a good cause.

Tiger is not what it should be, plain and simple.

And please don't tell me to re-install Panther, I shouldn't have to downgrade just to achieve a worry free computing experience.

Apple went overboard on localising costs so they went over-budget and needed some earnings to continue development. That's why it's still like a beta.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Fukui said:
Yes, but just try launching apps with spotlight (you no longer have to care where on your home folder you downloaded anything) and tell me you wanna go back to the just finder in Panther.

I have used Butler since late 2003, and still do. For app launching, Butler is demonstrably quicker (as it only caches a small amount of things) and doesn't necessitate actually selecting the thing from the menu. Example - say I wanted Entourage. In both, it'd find it probably after the entour part. But in Butler, I press return and it launches. In the Spotlight menu, I either have to press down a couple of times, or mouse to it.

Small difference, sure, but enough to keep me using Butler, because it's better for the task.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Fukui said:
Great idea, that. Just wanted to take a screenshot with Grab, typed in "grab", and Spotlight came up with "grab plist" and 10 other items. Guess what? No Grab.app. Gosh I love these "upgrades"!

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
skunk said:
Great idea, that. Just wanted to take a screenshot with Grab, typed in "grab", and Spotlight came up with "grab plist" and 10 other items. Guess what? No Grab.app. Gosh I love these "upgrades"!
Thats because there's no grab.app in OS X anymore!
Use Preview.app ... yea intuitive I'm sure... :rolleyes:

You know what you can do though, do a "get info" on preview.app, type
"grab" in the spotlight comment, type grab in the spotlight. Top Hit.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Fukui said:
Thats because there's no grab.app in OS X anymore!
Use Preview.app ... yea intuitive I'm sure... :rolleyes:
Oh really? Fancy that! I wonder what the Grab app and its plist are doing on my system, then? I must have a Special Edition of Tiger.:cool:

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
skunk said:

I did the same BUT grab.app appeared as the top hit. And for those that say grab is no longer an included app just check the utilities folder!!

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
psycho bob said:
I did the same BUT grab.app appeared as the top hit. And for those that say grab is no longer an included app just check the utilities folder!!
Oh, thats right. My bad.
I was lookin for Grab.app, but on mine it was gurabu.app. (Japanese)
Forgot they renamed it. :)

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
skunk said:

Finds it fine on my computer...

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
skunk said:
Hmmm. Maybe I should just revert to 10.3.9...
:mad:
Have you tried forcing a reindex of your HD?
Yea painful, but it might fix your spotlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.