I am going to give the Watch a try

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SparkFlash, Nov 17, 2015.

1. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

With the watches being $50 off at BestBuy this week and me having a $50 gift card, I am going to try the Watch out.

Its the one Apple item I didn't really jump on. Any tips? I am going low end with a sport. Ive read some reviews and posts here, but those that love it; what do you love?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Only way to really find out if it is for you is to try it.

Just make sure you get it back to Best Buy before your time is up.

3. primolabo macrumors member

primolabo

:) I've ordered mine first apple watch yesterday, so I feel you. in my case, I went for opened set, so got a discount. sport in gold.

this ad finally got me do it :D

4. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

A couple of things... first off, give it some time because it takes longer to get a watch into your life.

When you first open it and pair it with your phone, do NOT select the option to install all available apps. That will clog up the works for a while. Then after it boots up, see if it has the update for WatchOS 2. If not, then install it then. I did this twice... first time it took about 10 hours after having let it install everything on pair. The second time it took about 2 hours. If you already have the OS update, then awesome for you.

Then go into the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and select a few apps to install. There are several different options for each app... installing them, adding them to glances, configuring their notifications, and then complications if they have them. Installing it puts it on the icon screen. Glances is a screen you get to from scrolling up your watch face and then going left and right to look at up to 20 glances. Notifications... I got more specific about what notifications I used on my iPhone and then which I wanted to flow to the watch. Complications are special features from an app you can add to a watch face. Give yourself time to trial and error with this stuff until you get it the way you want.

One tip is that for the first couple of days mine was a bit sluggish and battery hungry as things were getting settled.... now I usually have about 50% battery left at night (same as my 6s Plus).

Realize that this isn't a phone... its more or less an extension to your phone. Its early in its life, so some apps are crap and some are very good. If you get one that is crazy slow, or doesn't load well, then ditch it. You load a bunch of crap on your watch and it will be crap.

Some of the top things I do with mine:
    - Notifications, particularly of messages. I have a hard time feeling the phone vibrate so the watch saves me on that.
    - Telling the time... duh. I replaced a traditional watch, so that is a requirement.
    - Telling the date... duh again. With my traditional watch, the date was always getting out of whack and I gave up trying to change it. Its always right on this.... as well as DLST being done automatically.
    - Showing a different city time when I'm out of the country, or working on a global project... very useful.
    - Messaging. This is a big one for me. I can tell if I need to reply without pulling out my phone. And a lot of replies I can do from the watch. You can modify the pre-configured list of quick replies, which I did to be more natural with the way I text.
    - Audio controller is very nice. I use wired headphones on my iPhone when working outside, working out, traveling. I can now leave my phone in my pocket and change songs with the audio control glance. It works for other apps like Amazon, Netflix, etc.. to pause/play.
    - Carrot weather is very good, as is the built in weather. I have different complications on different watch faces depending on if its a work day or off day.
    - Work outs and running - these apps are a little weak compared to dedicated sports devices, but they work for me. I am just looking for a gross record of what days I do things, so works for me.
    - Seeing next appointment on my watch face is convenient.
    - Shazam from your watch is cool, and it will give you lyrics (scrolling for some songs). You can look like the boss singing to a song you don't know.
    - I haven't used it yet, but will use the remote control for my iPhone camera at some point.
    - Locate your iPhone feature saved me last night... was headed to bed and couldn't find my phone, so hit my watch and it dinged a few times and I quickly found it.
    - Siri works very good on the watch, but you do have to have your mouth very close for it to work. One place I've used it a lot is when working outside and my playlist ends, with very dirty hands I don't want to pull out my phone or even touch my watch so I just ask Siri to play more music... works great. This is with wired headphones to my pocketed iPhone.

I keep experimenting with new stuff and tweaking my configuration and usage. I'm gravitating to have different watch faces and glances depending on what I'm doing that day. Work (business), yard work, gym, off day, traveling, etc... there are different sets of glances and complications I use for these different scenarios and it takes just a couple of minutes to change the configuration from the iPhone Apple Watch app.

5. primolabo macrumors member

primolabo

wow, convergent, thanks for your post! can't wait for my watch to arrive. I will definitely follow your advice.

6. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Wow thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Kudos! I will follow your advice!

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Some ideas for custom quick replies, USMC edition:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447770899.160939.jpg

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I got an AW right around launch day. I've been somewhat disappointed in mine but not enough to consider taking it back. Here are some of my gripes, along with some things I still really like about it. I'm hoping this list helps you set your expectations appropriately...

1) Battery life. This one is huge. My watch sometimes, without any explanation, runs out of battery halfway through the day and I find myself relegating it back to the charger on my nightstand and wearing something else to get through the rest of my day.

2) Fitness tracking. As an intermediate, mostly recreational runner I have found AW to be mostly useless for the kind of fitness tracking I need. It's wonderful for getting couch potatoes to stand up, but I've been standing up for years now and need to track more in depth data like average pace, cadence, stride, elapsed time, distance, gps route, trailing pace and so on. And I need access to these after a training run or race, not just on the screen while I'm running. Often during a 6+ mile run, my AW would pop up a useless "stand goal met" (duh!) message which required me to interact with its touchscreen with sweaty hands in the middle of a long run. I figured out how to turn this off but it was an annoyance for quite a while. Often it would fail completely due to limitations of third party versus the built in Workout app. When I did use the Workout app, it had almost nothing in terms of stats to compare with third party offerings like iSmoothrun, Runmeter, Runkeeper and the like yet Workout was the only app that (at the present time) allows you to lock the touchscreen and avoid unexpected watch state changes in the middle of a workout, such as stock reports on a Sunday morning (when every market on earth is closed and I'd much rather see my pace).

3) Fit. This one is very subjective. When I first got my watch, I considered it the most comfortable watch I'd ever worn. I put it on the fourth hole and it fit loosely but not so loose it would revolve around my wrist. Then I found it locking itself randomly because it somehow lost contact with my wrist and I had to force it to the third hole. It's still comfortable but not as comfortable as I would like. The reason for this issue is I want to use the watch for Apple Pay and using it for Apple Pay requires a passcode be set which then leads to the situation where the watch might lock itself if its sensors indicate you've taken it off (by wearing it too "loosely". This is something that started under Watch OS 2.0 so I imagine Apple decided to tighten up the sensor readings to make sure you're still wearing it for security reasons.

4) Stability. I've had to soft or hard reset the watch and my iPhone occasionally to solve various issues that cropped up. I'm sure they are part of early release issues that will get ironed out in the months (years?) to come. The worst part is the long time it takes after a hard reset to restore everything. It's painfully slow watching first an Apple logo, then a slowly moving progress ring as the watch gets re-paired with a phone. In my experience, wiping and setting up as new the phone you had paired with your AW, means you must wipe and restore the AW too.

5) Lack of third party "complications". This is something I expect to be addressed soon but under AW 2.0, third party apps can put stuff up on existing AW faces. Only none of the third party apps I actually use show up in the list of complications I can add to any of Apple's built in watchfaces (yet).

None of these rise to the level of "I don't need this thing any more" but they are things that early adopters have to decide whether or not put up with. I read a lot of posts by people bragging about how they are waiting for the next gen AW. Ok. Fine. So they are avoiding these Ior other) inconveniences but they are also missing out on the positives about AW, some of which I list below...

1) Weather/ rain forecast arranged around a watch face by hour. This is essential for anyone planning outdoor activities on an almost daily basis.

2) Read and respond to (most) texts on my wrist with canned but modifiable (via the AW app on my iPhone) and even dictate custom responses to Siri if it's quiet enough for "her" to actually hear me and accurately transcribe the text.

3) I get haptic "taps" for turns when using Apple Maps on my iPhone so this means I get a tap shortly before and again when I'm exactly at the turn. Very useful.

4) Caller ID on my AW when a call comes in so seeing who's calling doesn't mean pulling out my phone in front of everyone at dinner or in a meeting.

5) Stock reports on my AW (when I want/need them rather than in the case above where it was an unwanted feature).

6) Heart rate on my AW (after a run. unfortunately I haven't had much success with this during workouts)

7) Watchfaces that provide useful info at a glance including battery life, day/date, outside temp and one calendar entry (though sometimes the wrong event is displayed instead of my NEXT event, another early adopter sacrifice I willingly make).

9. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Interesting...

1. I've had my watch for about a month and only once did it end up going dead. I concluded that it wasn't seated on the charger the night before because I remember having trouble getting the alarm clock to show when on its side. Otherwise, almost always above 50% left. You might try selectively removing some apps because this shouldn't be happening. Also possibly a bad signal on WiFi might be doing something to the battery... just a guess?

2. I can't disagree with what you've said on this one. The fitness stuff is a bit confusing with the different apps built in and 3rd party. For me, its doing more than I did without it, so I'm happy... but hoping to see some improvement here. I agree the "you met your stand goal" when you are in the middle of a workout is kind of lame.

3. Fit for me has been awesome. I'd suggest trying a different band type. I have the sports band, and its the most comfortable watch i've ever worn with that band. I have it in a hole that is relatively lose and it never loses its password. I also have the leather classic buckle, and that is also comfortable. I switch back and forth depending on the days plans.

4. I've never had to rest my watch thus far. This must have something to do with your apps, so may try removing some. Just wondering, do you have a bunch of different fitness apps all running on there at the same time? I would think that may cause some problems.

5. Agree this could be better, but more and more apps seem to be showing up daily. I have been going into the App Store every could of days and looking for apps with watch features. Still early yet for the apps to get to their best. I like Carrot Weather's complications the best... and the World Clock too.

10. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I found a movers coupon for $2.50 on eBay and bought it, redeemed and now have an additional 10% off at Best Buy, just an FYI there were a ton for sale when I looked earlier.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had to reset my phone and watch a number of times to solve a nagging bluetooth issue which resulted in Apple replacing my year-old phone under warranty/AppleCare. During that process, I weeded out all but one third party running app and a handful of "non-real-time" apps like Delta airlines so I can use my watch as my boarding pass without installing the pass in the Wallet app on my phone first and the awesome calculator app, Pcalc. I don't think it's app related. As for weak wifi, I work in a basement so my phone is constantly being sucked dry looking for a tower that is never there. At&t finally got wifi calling working and this has been less of an issue the past few weeks. However the day my watch ran dry I can't remember if I was even at the office. I think it was a weekend. I ran around all day doing errands, then decided to run with my Garmin and Apple Watch for comparison only to find the AW was down in the red zone for battery life (totally useless in every conceivable way including the ability to tell time without pressing a physical button.) :EEK:

I'm using the black sport band and while it's relatively comfortable, I'd rather wear it one loop looser and I know from experience it makes me log in during a long run when my arm is all sweaty and so are my fingers so while my sleeve can activate the touchscreen, my finger might or might not. All this crap is going on while I'm running which is why I bought a Garmin months after I was already an Apple watch owner.

12. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

About the fit --

I normally wear my SS on the sport band on the second hole, sometimes the third if it's cold and my arm shrinks. For workouts, I tighten it to the fourth hole for a snug fit and more consistent* HR readings.

* I'm guessing about the HR consistency because I haven't used an app to graphically display all the HR data collected so far.

13. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

You haven't mentioned which size; my gripe about my 38SS is the battery didn't last a day and needed a top up usually twice or three times a week. Now it gets charged twice a day as I'm using the sleep tracker app.
    If I didn't have tiny wrists (on the black sport band, it's on the second smallest hole) I'd be looking at a 42mm for gen 3 (I suspect I'll have beaten the battery up by then lol).

14. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

In addition to what convergent said:
    1. Having my next appointment on my Watch face AND getting my alerts (haptic plus subtle ping) has made my life less stressful.
    2. Love the timer and have it as a complication and use it multiple times per day.
    3. Screen all my messages and dictate replies when I need to.
    4. Keep my shopping list and to do list on my watch and dictate new items.
    5. Check the MLB scores during boring meetings.
    6. Apple Pay! Seriously cool.
    7. Screen my calls and can answer if I need to.
    8. Can turn off my iPhone snooze alarm. Maybe no one else forgets to turn off your alarm but I do all the time.
    9. I can ping my phone! Yeah, I could always "Find" my phone but now I can actually locate it.
    10. The stand reminders make a big difference in my health and my work ergonomics.

15. vcof2005 macrumors member

16. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

True, but I see a lot of people go into it without realistic expectations and it doesn't end well.

17. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

So I've had my watch for about 24 hours. My wrist isn't used to it and I keep having to adjust it. Most of my apps won't open on it or are very slow, which I expected from reading others' posts. I think I'm going to return it, I really haven't used it at all. It's not a bad product I just don't feel like it's for me.

18. primolabo macrumors member

primolabo

ha ha - it well shows how people are different. I am using my watch for last two days and I love it. I am able to see who calls and texts without taking out my huge by otherwise very handy iphone 6+. I can quickly answer an urgent call on my wrist and reply a sms driving with a standard text. I am able to left my brick of a phone in the gym locker and listen to one chosen playlist from my watch. it's 11:40 pm in my timezone and the battery is 40%. no way I am selling mine.

of course there is a room for improvements - I want audiobooks syncing to my watch just as music. also the thickness of the watch should be minimized in the future. but I love the size and lightness of 38mm aluminium body, well done apple :)

19. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

If you read what I wrote, then you wouldn't be returning it after one day. I would suggest your read the posts I made above. It takes a couple of days for things to get settled down, and it takes more than a couple of days to really get it configured and start even understanding HOW to use it.

20. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I think I am going to give it a try. It's weird but with it off only a few hours I already missed being reminded to stand up while here at work and checking texts without my phone, that part does work good. It's just frustrating with the third party apps. Maybe I'll buy the second gen and keep this one till then.

21. r0k, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm glad you decided to give it a little longer. The real deadline is 30 days after you bought it. Pay attention to the battery life and how you use it.

I suggest you turn on only those notifications you find useful or else you'll be getting bombarded by twitter updates, facebook pokes and the like all day long. I really enjoy my watch but I've had to go out and buy a Garmin for my fitness activities. I only need the Garmin because in its present form, AW is not yet well suited to intermediate-advanced running tracking. I've discussed this in other threads so I won't discuss it in any detail here. When I'm on a run I wear my AW for time of day and my Garmin for running metrics including cadence, pace, heart rate, distance, elevation, GPS mapping and elapsed time. The Garmin has only lost partial data twice, once during a marathon through mile long tunnel and once during a 9 mile run in an intense snow storm. The AW has not proved very useful, even with impressive third party running apps. I'm confident Apple will address these issues either in a WOS update or a combination of next gen AW hardware and software and despite these issues I find AW to be an excellent first gen product.

I turned off the AW "stand" because I run over an hour a day so at my fitness level I really don't need to be reminded to stand every now and then. I would sometimes get stand reminders even during walks or runs which proved distracting. The only taps I want are for incoming texts, phone calls or turn by turn navigation. I am still very impressed with the "stand" reminders for those who are in a more sedentary lifestyle and nowadays even Garmin offers this on some of their latest watches.

One thing I love about my watch is the ability to respond to texts from my wrist (one response I've customized is "I'm running right now". I like the ability to turn off Siri's voice during navigation and simply let her tap me on my wrist so I don't miss turns. I also like the weather app. Touch the temperature from any watch face that includes a temperature complication and you get a new watch face with either temperatures, rain/snow probabilities, or sunny/cloudy icons arranged around a watch face for the next 11 hours. I haven't tried it but I bet time travel lets you peek ahead or go further back to check out weather (within reasonable limits).

Don't let "people on the internet" persuade you to keep or return your watch. As if you don't already know this, the only factor you have to weigh is whether it is useful enough to YOU for you to keep it.

22. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

It takes a while, and a bit of tweaking and trying different setups to find the sweet spot. Its not like the phone at all in that regard. There is a balance between the two that you need to achieve.

I ended up taking back the sport after trying it for a week (and loving it), and then bought a mint used SS for several hundred off new. I am quite happy with the purchase and value I'm getting from it and no its already depreciated so won't get hurt much whenever a new version comes out probably late next year in my opinion.

23. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

It is definitely growing on me. I like that it basically enhances my iPhone by being an extension so I don't have to pull my phone out all the time. I like being able to control music from my wrist and I like using apps like NightSky and Wunderground that open pretty quickly now too.

24. mguzzi macrumors regular

I bought a SGS from Best Buy and tried it out for 40 days. I liked it so much I decided to return it and upgrade to the SS model. I was super careful with mine but still got a small scratch on the screen from a table at a restaurant. So definitely get the Apple Care and maybe even a screen protector.

I loved the notifications as well as the navigation when driving. I also really like being able to answer the phone from my watch when I am busy. I had a Fit Bit HR before the Apple Watch. The Fit Bit is way better at fitness tracking but the heart rate is pretty close. I got a rash from the Fit Bit clasp which caused me to stop using it. The only thing I really miss is the sleep tracking.

Good Luck with your purchase.