I am going to swim with my Apple Watch!!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aces2412, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Aces2412 macrumors regular

I am a little frustrated about the misinformation about the water resistance. Apple gives it a rating allowing it to go underwater 1 meter for no more than 30 mins. But they say you can get it wet in the shower or rain but I would not submerge it. What?

**Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

So this statement says two different things.

Regardless I will swim with the watch within the first 30 or 14 days and if it gets water damage then back it will go and Apple would be responsible for replacing it. I swim a lot so I will probably just return it and head to pebble.

My point is if you give it a IPX7 rating then own it. :eek:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm sure the mic and speaker ports will enjoy that water.

3. Piggie, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple can't give it an official rating and they refuse to stand by that rating.

In the UK anyway that would be false advertising, and you could say it's not fit for the purpose.

It either is rated or it isn't.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I'll bet they are coated for that very reason.

But the OP brings up a point I have been wondering since the original announcement. How is apple going to handle water damage on this device? Can you imagine a 17k watch that has said damage, good lord.

5. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

How arrogant. I guarantee you that you will not get another Apple Watch if you have submerged it in water and it breaks, as you'll have set off internal water sensors.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Who says it has water sensors?

7. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

And how exactly do you swim without your hand ever going deeper than 1m? Better set the timer on that A Watch too as you only have 30 minutes to get out of the kiddie pool!

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I really cannot see how Apple can advertise this:

"2. Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529"

In the UK the Advertising Authority may be able to help there.
    You cannot say, it's not waterproof, but it has a guaranteed waterproof official rating.

9. Aces2412 thread starter macrumors regular

I do it through years of experience and skill. Its the point.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Easy. I do laps and my arms I would bet are less than a meter under water or close. It's not like a constant dive.

11. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

And you just slither into the pool? I'm trying to understand. How do you get in and start swimming without ever going deeper than 1m? I get that once you are in your stroke but I'm having trouble with the before and after.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. Aces2412 thread starter macrumors regular

problem solved http://epikwatch.com Maybe Lifeproof will come up with one. I have the new one for the iPhone 6 + but so far the phone call sound quality is bad.

14. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Are you not getting confused between the phrase waterproof and water resistant?

15. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

for breastroke, your hands don't go very deep...well within the 1m depth stated by the IP rating

16. taedouni macrumors 65816

Water resistant is not equal to water proof because well if it is considered waterproof up to a certain amount of meters that means that it can withstand the pressure of the water (Pebble is rated for 5ATM).

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

No I dive, and swim shallow. I am not condoning the swim with apple watch but it can be don. 3 ft of water standing in my 4'9" pool would not be difficult to be mindful of its limitations.

A pain. Yes.

I do swim 100% with my watch and will not be getting this apple watch for really this reason to be honest.

18. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Swimming? Exercise caution. Shark's in the water. Salsa shark.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Assuming Apple has some sort of AppleCare + for the watch, which I'm not sure if they do or not, the 17K watch is almost all profit margin, and the electronics that could get damaged are exactly the same as in the low end cheapest model. So probably they just take it for a couple days and switch the electronics out for you.

20. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

ah but you can distract the shark by showing it all the cool features of the watch..and while he's engrossed in checking out a ride from Uber...you can escape.

21. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Interesting. Wonder how easy it is to remove the guts.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So swim for only 30 minutes and not deeper than 3 feet? Doesn't sound like fun.

23. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

This is a quote from Garmin's page that I think might apply here:

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating
    http://www.polar.com/us-en/support/Polar_Products_in_Water_Environmen
    thttp://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ga2jq/water_proof_water_resistant_ip68_what_does_it/

And there are more examples... Every product I found that has an IPX7 rating says do not swim with it. Swimming means you are moving your arms rapidly, that adds water pressure that is not present with an accident dip.

Also, these ratings are not progressive - just because it has a "7" doesn't mean 1-6 is OK. Some of those are powerful jets, some are tests up to only 3 minutes... So a shower hitting the Watch at close range, like when you are washing your head, at higher temperatures (affects seal), is risky.

These ratings are guidelines and not complete - so they are expected to be followed in the context of the total instructions and warnings by the manufacturer.

If Apple says don't submerge, you are taking a suckers risk.

How accurate are the tests? What if the Watch submerges 1.1 meters for 29 minutes? Or .9 meters for 32 minutes? What about manufacturing variances? Not all seals are precisely the same.

I will not wear it in the shower or pool, or beach. Rain, I will take a chance with, and Apple can pony up if it fails. But after the warranty period, I'll avoid the rain. This is not a robust device, unfortunately.

And if you press a button in these conditions, that changes everything.

25. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Go ahead, you do that. Apple with look at you like you're an idiot, then charge you for a replacement. It is not water proof.

----------

It will, trust me.