I am here to help on clarifying on AT&T upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Jun 9, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It seems like a lot of people are confused about AT&T's early upgrade policy on new iphone 4. I am here to help on any confusions you might have. However, here is a quick guide.

1. A lot of websites like Cnet and others are reporting that if your contract ends in 2010, you will be eligible for 199/299 dollars price. This is completely false. The upgrade dates and contract end dates are two different things. When you sign a contract with AT&T, you would sign a two years contract, normally. After 18 months of the day you signed, you would be eligible to buy any phone at discounted price. What AT&T is doing is pulling your eligibility date early by 6 months. Long story short, if your eligibility date was 12/31/2010 or earlier, then you are guaranteed to get iphone 4 at discounted price. If your eligibility date is 1/1/2011 or later, then sorry. Might as well as wait for iphone 5 or something else.

2. Some people say, "Oh, I was eligible on Feb. 2011 and now I am eligible. Why? I am confused."
    Consider yourself lucky. This is most likely because of your plan. If you spend more than 99 dollars or higher on your line, (NOT any of your 9.99 dollars plans, but primary line that is associated with 99 dollars or higher.) then you are allowed to get it for 199/299 dollars. Normally, AT&T allows these customers as people who spend more money than others, so they allow upgrade every year. So, since AT&T pulled off 6 months earlier for everyone, there is a strong chance that you will be eligible.

3. Some people say, "I pay 105 dollars, and I am not eligible. Why not?" Because you are not paying 105 dollars to AT&T. You are probably paying 80 dollars. The rest is a tax. Just in case you have not noticed, you live in America and we have taxes here.
    That's why. Stop whining please.

4. If you already own iphone 3GS, then some people might not be eligible for an upgrade because of various reasons. However, I don't understand why people are bitching about 499 dollars. If you sell your god damn iphone 3GS, you will get at least 300 dollars off ebay. So, you can use that money to cut your cost on iphone 4.

5. Finally, all of these upgrade eligibility dates are off for those of you who do not pay bills on time. If you have your lines cut off many times, or if you have not been paying on time, then sorry. But, if I were AT&T, I would not want you to upgrade early. I have seen people always pay late with bunch of excuses. If you are one of them, then all of these early upgrades won't work at all for you. AT&T always keep a record of everything.

PS: This is why I am staying with AT&T for now because they are nice with customers on getting latest handsets. I cannot ever imagine verizon do this for their customers. I had them long time ago, but I switched because of their lack of phones and customer service.
    I understand AT&T might be up to something with this early upgrade policy to make up for their criticism on network. (Or it could be CDMA iphone who knows?) But, all of these are speculations.

2. Benjic macrumors regular

Good job clarifying that, I've spoken to countless AT&T chucklef*cks and gotten so many different stories it would make your head spin. I can't really blame them though, as they are most likely trained on a need-to-know basis.

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

The problem with AT&T is how they communicate with their employees. They make a public announcement first, and throw some emails on the day is announced. (or few days before)

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'm watching the downloadable WWDC 2010 keynote posted on iTunes, and 1:38:12 into the video, Jobs specifically states, "if your contract expires anytime during 2010, you are immediately eligible for a new iPhone 4 at the same $199/299 price if you top up your contract for two years." I like the fact that there wasn't even one clap in the audience for AT&T's "incredibly generous" upgrade offer. We must be some really burned people for AT&T to have such a silent reception.

FWIW, I just sold my wife's pristine-condition white 16GB iPhone 3G (not 3GS), unlocked for $300 on CraigsList. Took me 90 minutes from the time I posted it. I think people will and should do a lot better when trying to sell off a 3GS, especially when it will still have multitasking capability and it's likely still within its first year of warranty, unlike my wife's iPhone 3G which doesn't.

Good luck to everyone.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

These days with the Internet taking a few seconds for info and rumors to spread you simply can't inform your employees ahead of time.

6. WHM macrumors regular

I have been with A.T.&T. since they purchased Cingular and before that Verizon. We switched to Cingular to get on a GSM network because of overseas travel.(everyone uses that except the U.S.) Verizon was nothing but a nightmare to us, poor service dropped calls and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE TO SPEAK OF. From what I have read it is basically where you live and work...for us A.T.T works great and we have full siginal strength at both places. The iPhone 4 will be my fourth iPhone and I have not spend any additional money since the first one. I have always sold mine on ebay or craigslist for at least what I paid and most of the time more.

7. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Is att moving everyone's upgrade up if you were originally able to upgrade in 2010 or is that only the case if you have an iphone already and i would be stuck the this htc Fuze for another couple months.

My parents have iphones and if i pop in my sim to one of their phones and rang at&t would i be moved up then?

On a buisness plan through my mom's work so *639# doesn't work.

8. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

My contract runs out December 2011, is it still possible to purchase it through the $399 plan?

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

How about the "confused" people call AT&T and get a simple, yes or no, in a matter of minutes. :)

10. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

what if you sold your iPhone early? are you still eligible for an upgrade if you still are due one in 2010... I still have the data plan on my account, and AT$T says the iPhone IMEI number is still linked to my account, I just don't use it.

11. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Why does Apple tell me I'm eligible for an upgrade in 12/10 and AT&T says 2/11?

12. moka macrumors 6502a

this is FALSE, i have had some issues with finances and had to pay a couple of my wireless bills for the iPhone late, twice after the service was interrupted! and i am still eligible for the subsidized price, have an iPhone 3GS that i bought about a month after the release date.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Good guide. I'd cut down on the swearing so people don't get offended and think that invalidates what you say. Also, mention the number you can call and the text messages you get back and what they mean.

14. mac mac mac macrumors regular

That's what I have been reading too, that if you are on the primary line spending at least $99/month or more before taxes and FAN discounts, you are eligible to upgrade every 12 months. I upgraded mine to the 3GS last July and my upgrade eligibility was 11/2010 before AT&T bumped me up.

I'm on the 1400 minutes family plan and the monthly bill on my primary line is $115 ($80 voice + $30 data + $5 text). Why is my upgrade cycle 18 months instead of 12 months? I even called AT&T a few months ago on this, and the CSR told me that they don't offer upgrade every 12 months anymore. I do have a 18% FAN discount, but from what I read, AT&T looks at your monthly bill before any discount? Does anyone have any clue? Thank you.

BTW, I'll upgrade to iPhone 4, and have intent to stay with AT&T even if the iPhone becomes available on Verizon. Despite how much the public hates AT&T, I always get great service here in Seattle, and all the CSR I talked have been very helpful.

15. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

can you explain what prices i will get with this text from the 639 number
    "as a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and a $18 upgrade fee"

$199/299 or $399/499?

16. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Another thread said that only one line on an account qualifies for the upgrade. If that is true do the other lines at least qualify for the "reduced" price of $399/$499 or does only ONE line qualify for any sort of discount at all?

17. ~Phi macrumors regular

I'd like to know the answer too. Since it doesn't say anything about "discounted pricing" I'm thinking it's the $199/299 price.

18. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I got a message that states you are eligible for a discounted upgrade iphone price: This means the 399/499 until the date that they provide (your contract end date most likely) at which point it should be the regular 199/299. Hope this helps

19. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

will these text messages reflect are current status on the at&t page? like would it show those upgrade prices on the 3GS's or only when the iphone 5 comes out for pre-order. sorry, but i'm just trying to get some clear cut answers

20. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Im assuming that if they don't give you an upgrade eligible date, then e discounted price is the $199/299. The people that are getting the $399/$499 message are getting something like "you may qualify for a full discount on xx/xx/xx.

Do this: click on upgrade your line on AT&T or apple's site. If you are getting prices of $99 for the 3G, or $149/$199 for the 3GS, then you qualify for the full discount because those are the full discount prices for those phones at this time, until probably next tuesday when the 4 goes on pre order.

That's what I did, and Im eligible for the cheapest prices, despite the fact that I bought the 3GS on launch and pay for the lowest possible plans with a bill of about $85 a month.

21. Biker macrumors regular

I dont live in the US, when I go there can i buy the new iPhone 4 without contract and just use it as an iPod?

22. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

eBay? Craigslist?

23. tfrees macrumors member

Do you know anything about the data plans and whether or not we will be able to get the unlimited plan with the iPhone 4

24. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

If you have it now, you can keep it when you upgrade. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

25. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

How to unlock it?

I want to sell my iPhone 3G 16Gb on ebay/craiglist and get iPhone 4 16GB, how to unlock?

will ATT unlock my iPhone since i am upgrading to iPhone 4 or other method to unlock it?