I am hot to buy a Mac Pro... but...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by capwkidd, Jan 13, 2009.

  1. capwkidd macrumors newbie

    Jan 13, 2009
    The guide says to hold off... but no idea when an update to the Mac pro will be out.... but, the question, should I just buy and be happy? I think the strongest reason to buy a Mac Pro is for the memory capacity, I have a Macbook Pro, and 4gb of RAM just does not cut it... I have also thought about getting the Macbook Pro 17", as it will be able to use 8gb (officially).... and would be cheaper....... and a Mac Pro 3ghz is at least $500 more (about).... and you still need a display (I have a great old NEC 22" CRT so I am ok with that)..... I just with they would allow more memory on the less machines.... why is it I can have 16gb on my iphone, but my "pro" laptop can only have 4gb?!

    I tried VMware, Vista on a iMac 24" (forget what speed it was, but it had 2gb of RAM), it took about a minute to load, and tottally bogged down the Mac... wow, it's not that bad on my 4gb Macbook Pro........ So, I wonder... maybe I should just get an older Mac Pro from Ebay for less (not much really) money... and maybe I can even upgrade the CPU later......... OR... get the 1 quad core 2.8ghz CPU Apple offers to save some money now, and get that great memory capacity......? What do you all think?

  2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2008
    I say if you are going for an expensive machine, get the new one (or current), isn't there up to 32 GBs of RAM allowed and 8 cores? Dang, if I was a girl I'd go out with a guy who had a mac pro any day, oh man, but if i knew a girl who had a mac pro... DAYUMMM
  3. dual64bit macrumors 6502

    Nov 9, 2004
    Hahaha, I couldn't help but laugh!

    I'd say buy it now, if you need something you buy it. If you have time to wait, then you don't really need it. So it just depends how much you need it. It sounds like Intels processors for the work horses may come out in summer. But it's every 3-6 months and there is a new processor. So, by the time you wait for summer, you'll want to wait for christmas, then the following summer. You'll never be satisfied, just buy.
  4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

    Dec 4, 2008
    If all you need is RAM capacity, buy a cheap used Mac Pro on eBay for a little under $2000. The next MP could be out next week or in the Fall, its anybody's guess.

    The new iMac might support 8gb of ram like the 17" MBP or it might "officially" support 4gb like the 15" MBP.
  5. justit macrumors 6502a

    Dec 1, 2007
    Sounds like price is a concern for you. I wasn't waiting for a new MP, I was waiting for an apple refurb MP.

    Got mine for $2000, it was in pristine condition, no scratches, dents, fingerprints. With the money I saved I now have 10GB of crucual ram. A decent 24" is about $250.

    .. and ya chicks dig it :D
  6. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a


    Oct 18, 2008
    Moreno Valley, Ca
    haha one of my old teacher's wife had a mac pro. he always talked about how his wife had a 3000 dollar computer.
  7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040


    Jun 29, 2006
    Because the 16GB of your iPhone is flash memory, not RAM. There's a big difference. :)

    I would wait, if you possibly could. Unless you absolutely need the machine now, there's no reason to rush out and grab one considering how close updates should be.
  8. Ploki macrumors 68020

    Jan 21, 2008
    ill take it elsewhere.
    1st; if you need so much ram for work in vista (from what i understand), why dont you bootcamp into vista? it will work uncomparably faster.

    2nd; what do you do that needs more than 4gigs of ram?
  9. wheezy macrumors 65816


    Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    If RAM is your main concern then just look out for a Refurb and pick it up. There is more than enough power in the current setup to last for years. Yes, the next revision could be quite a bit faster, but if your C2D MBP has enough power than 8 Cores will make you plenty happy.

    I'm running 6GB and while I'd love more to have more, I think my system runs pretty darn good with it (especially considering CS3 can only access 2GB worth leaving 4GB for Aperture + everything else = enough RAM).

    If you're a video guy compressing and exporting all the time then definitely wait; if not then pick it up. Refurbs are great!
  10. numbersyx macrumors 65816


    Sep 29, 2006
    Speculation is that the Mac Pro is just around the corner - maybe Feb/March. If you can wait that long - it sounds like it would be worth it...
  11. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Sep 24, 2008
    Boon Docks USA
    I don't think your going to see a updated mac pro until snow leopard is released. Any mac pro you buy now will have a good resale value if you decide to buy the updated mac pro. Keep your eye on apples refurb site. The 2.8 octo have gone for 2499.00 (I believe). I have the first gen intel mac pro and considering upgrading myself. Its a quad 2.0 ghz but been looking for clovertown processors to upgrade it to an octo. Still pricey. I would say grab it now if you need it.
  12. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2007
    ... I don't see any updates coming any time soon. There's always speculation, but from what I've seen, I wouldn't see an update on this unit until at least November 09.
  13. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a


    Apr 9, 2008
    London (Ealing) UK
    I got a 2.0GHz low-end Mac Pro 1,1 as well, going to keep it until the Gainestown MP gets available. Most likely together with Snow Leo in Q2 2009.
  14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Wow. You need to read the news more often, then.
  15. capwkidd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 13, 2009
    When is Snow Leopard supposed to be out (how the hell many cat names are there anyways?!)? I should probably at least wait for ilife to come bundled....

    I keep thinking I should get the 2.8, maybe even the 4 core (1 CPU) Mac Pro to save some money for now, as I could (I assume), swap the CPU's later.... Hard to lay down $4k on a new PC... bad enough when I paid $2700 for my Macbook Pro! Geez, apple better love me :)!
  16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601


    Jun 16, 2007
    Longhair and semi-longhair

    • Alpine Lynx
    * American Bobtail
    * Asian Semi-longhair (or Tiffanie)
    * Balinese
    * Birman
    * British Longhair
    * Chantilly/Tiffany cat
    * Desert Lynx
    * Highland Lynx
    * Himalayan
    * Jaguarundi Curl
    * Javanese
    * Maine Coon
    * Nebelung
    * Norwegian Forest Cat
    * Oriental Longhair
    * Persian
    * Ragdoll (and Ragamuffin)
    * Siberian
    * Somali
    * Turkish Van
    * Turkish Angora
    * York Chocolate cat


    * Abyssinian
    * Alpine Lynx
    * American Shorthair
    * Australian Mist (or Spotted Mist)
    * Bombay
    * British Shorthair
    * Burmese
    * Burmilla
    * California Spangled Cat
    * Chartreux
    * Colorpoint Shorthair
    * Desert Lynx
    * Highland Lynx
    * Egyptian Mau
    * European Shorthair
    * Exotic
    * Havana Brown
    * Jaguarundi Curl
    * Korat
    * Ocicat
    * Oriental Shorthair
    * Russian Blue
    * Siamese (and Traditional Siamese or Applehead Siamese)
    * Singapura
    * Snowshoe
    * Sokoke
    * Tonkinese

    Breeds based on mutations

    * American Bobtail
    * American Curl
    * American Wirehair
    * Cornish Rex
    * Cymric
    * Devon Rex
    * German Rex
    * Japanese Bobtail
    * Kurilian Bobtail
    * LaPerm
    * Manx
    * Munchkin
    * Ojos Azules
    * Peterbald
    * Pixie-bob
    * Selkirk Rex
    * Scottish Fold
    * Sphynx

    Breeds derived from crosses with wild felids

    * Alpine Lynx
    * Bengal
    * Chausie
    * Desert Lynx
    * Highland Lynx
    * Jaguarundi Curl
    * Savannah
    * Serengeti
    * Toyger

    Don't forget HelloKitty
  17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Sep 4, 2006
    Oh do I hate cats... I'm a dog person.
  18. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a


    Apr 9, 2008
    London (Ealing) UK
    Maybe Apple changes from cats to dogs for ya...

    Mac OS XI Labrador :p
  19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Sep 4, 2006
    Mac OSX Shih Tzu is more like it. :D

  20. jeffreyk macrumors regular


    Nov 28, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
  21. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Sep 24, 2008
    Boon Docks USA
    Apple has a refurb 2.8 octo for 2499.00. So tempting to grab but will wait for the new ones. Hopefully by summer. Am finding the glovertown processors coming down in price though.
  22. capwkidd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 13, 2009
    My discount is close to refurd, but not as low... I was also thinking, perhaps I could just get a couple of imacs and just use 1 for 1 task, the other for another task, Macbook pro for another...
  23. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

    Sep 25, 2007
    New England
    Allot of people say there waiting for the newer Mac Pro's but I'll tell you what the refurbished Mac Pro's 2.8 are going off the refurbished listing FAST.

    Although that 4,000.00 dollar machine is still sitting there :eek:
  24. rylin macrumors 6502

    Aug 18, 2006
    Be glad it's at least theoretically possible to get a refurb.
    On this side of the pond, we're lucky if we get the option of buying a refurb ipod twice a year.
  25. millar876 macrumors 6502a


    May 13, 2004
    Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
    Personally I can't wait to buy my copy of OSX - Pixie-Bob

Share This Page