I am officially wallet free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Jan 24, 2015.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I just bought a Loop Pay fob, and in conjunction with Apple Pay, I now no longer carry a wallet of any kind. If I get cash, they just go folded up into my pocket.

Now I carry my phone, the fob, and a drivers license. Before that I would carry about 20 cards with me, I kind of wish Apple embedded Loop Pay in addition to NFC.

Of course I'll always try Apple Pay first before resorting to my loop fob.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What about EMV only cards or terminals that will come later this year as part of the mandate?

3. cymolia macrumors 6502a

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

Punch a hole and add it to the keychain :)

5. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This of course is not a permanent solution, just having fun with the fact I could do this now. When EMV terminals are more widely deployed, I will have to wonder the Plastc Card, and heres to hoping the new EMV terminals will have NFC enabled for more Apple Pay.

----------

Just in my pocket.

----------

Wish I could do that, but can't, places here like to swipe/insert/scan to verify your identity or age. At the local club, they take your license and it gets inserted into a reader to read the magnetic stripe, and then the reader tells the bouncer if you're banned from the club, or if you're VIP after so many visits, or if you're just plain under 21.

6. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Thanks for the info. I am going to order one right now.

7. techspin macrumors 6502a

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Interesting. Not sure I'd be comfortable doing that. Let us know if you run into any trouble OP.

9. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Set the Loop Pay fob to ten minutes and let them know how to do it. Works fine for me. Or if I really don't want to deal with it, I'll bring one credit card.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Been doing this for over a year now. But instead of the FOB, I have one debit card I carry in my front pocket with my phone. Nothing else needed, not even cash. Don't even bother taking my Drivers License with me, unless it is needed for something like renting a car. I maintain a digital copy of my license on an app called Cardmate (requires me to manually enter a swipe pattern to get in to it, so Touch ID/PIN can't be forced), just in case I get pulled over. As long as a cop can verify your identity, a physical copy of the ID is not required to be on your person.

P.S. I had been wondering about the Loop Pay FOB. I'm guessing you highly recommend it?

11. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

I'm wallet free, too, but I just used a rubber band. :cool:

12. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

13. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Just looked up loop and it seems pretty neat. I think this is the direction phones are going anyway though. I especially liked the case with the little removable fob and a slot for your ID, a card, light cash, etc.

Had this been something that came out 5+ years ago I would be all about it. As it stands now, I think I will just wait. I am thinking Apple Pay will become virtually ubiquitous. Once BofA allows for trasnactions at an ATM via Apple Pay I will probably never use the card again.

15. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Doesn't work with chip? Useless in my country then :p

16. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Not so fast, banks can issue you a mobile card without Service Code 201, but with 101 instead so you can use it at chip terminals.

201 is what says "Insert chip" when you swipe.

----------

$20 in my pocket should suffice and I have yet to encounter a cash only place where I live. Even food trucks take card using Square. Buses and trains too through the Farebox.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Should I return my wallet? I really like it. I've been looking for something this slim for years.
    [​IMG]

18. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

For people who carry one or two cards I don't think Loop Pay is a worthwhile investment. I have 20 or so, so I think now I can have all the cards with me at all times.

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I haven't encountered a "cash only" place in about a decade. Even many vending machines take credit cards and NFC payments.

----------

I still think it is a worthwhile investment, especially from a security standpoint. ;)

20. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Men's wallets do not have zippers. :rolleyes:

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I carried my subway pass in my front pocket, and one day, I absent mildly put my phone in the same pocket. Shortly there after, I pulled the phone out to use it, and the pass came with it (which I did not notice), it then fell to the ground somewhere.

my point is that you risk losing your identification if you put it in your pocket like that.

What's the harm in a wallet? I think its a great product for keeping my credit cards/subway pass/license safe, secure and in easily retrieved.

22. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

For a long time I carried two wallets as a precaution. In case of being accosted, I would reluctantly hand over the wallet that held less value and easily replaceable documentation.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually there are plenty of men's wallets that do. Not really my cup of tea but they do exist.

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hopefully 2016 the uk will push through digital driving licences then the wallet will be a thing of the past. With nfc being around for a few years over here apple pay should propogate very quickly over here.