I am seriously getting fed up with OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Sep 30, 2011.

1. motulist, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011

motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I am a very longtime Mac user, but damnit I am getting completely fed up with OS X and apple products lately. Safari 5.1 introduces a boatload of major problems that make web browsing much suckier. And I never used Spaces before, but I just came up with a perfect use for Spaces that would be super useful - except Spaces has a bug in it that makes it completely useless for this purpose. Then of course there's the persistent crap that is itunes, and bs with some of Apple's hardware choices.

This is getting ridiculous. I've been a very loyal Mac user since 1995, but I am seriously fed up with Apple and OS X right now. I've used Windows 7 a bit and for the first time since 1995 I've actually considered switching. Windows 7 actually seems pretty good from the little I've tired of it, and right now Apple and OS X are pissing me off more and more all the time.

2. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

OS X 10.6.8
    Safari 5.1
    MBP that's 1 year old

There's nothing wrong with my particular system, I googled around and other people have these problems also.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Safari 5.1 is enough to drive any sane person to your level of frustration, so don't feel too bad about it. I've heard that 5.1.1 is due shortly and will hopefully resolve many of the issues.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I thought you may have been on 10.7.1 and exhibiting the issues; but I too have problems all over with Safari 5.1. TBH, I never knew that it was my browser, I thought my Mac needed a new install because I downgraded from Lion.

Either way, I hope they fix your mess OP; but IMO- you might want to stay clear of 10.7.1 or you may become even more frustrated.:eek:

5. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

But why did this garbage even get out the door? There's no good reason why this was released in the horrid state it's in. There's just no excuse for this garbage.

Same thing with the Spaces bug. The problem is that when I'm switching spaces VLC absolutely will not stay as the front app, which makes Spaces absolutely useless for this one situation where Spaces would've actually been useful to me. I googled and it looks like Spaces has had this bug for years. Absolutely unexcusable and unacceptable.

And of course there's the decades long steaming pile that's called itunes. And more. It's just getting to be ridiculous now. There used to be a time when most Mac stuff really did "just work" most of the time, but it seems like more and more that's no longer true. Le sigh.

6. samh macrumors 6502

Have you considered that Safari 5.1 may not be a train wreck for everybody? Have you considered that the "Spaces bug" may be a "VLC bug"?

7. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I don't give a damn if it's causing a problem for just me or for everyone. Regardless, safari 5.1 **IS** a cluster-F for a HUGE number of people. Just look around this forum and you'll see.

It's not a VLC bug, it's a spaces bug. The problem is that when I switch between spaces it doesn't maintain vlc being the frontmost app. It's probably due to some peculiarity with VLC, but the problem is due to the fact that there's a bug in Spaces that it triggers.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

I love these threads because every time I open one up I just feel so fortunate that I never have any of these "issues".

9. hafr macrumors 68030

I can understand your frustration over programs not acting the way you want. But I don't really get why you don't just use another browser, dual boot or switch OS completely instead of crying about it on a discussion board. But it sure is amusing.

10. samh macrumors 6502

Even if a few thousand people here complain, it pales in comparison to the, what, millions worldwide that use it. I'm not saying it solves your problem, but you asked how it could possibly ship as bad as it is. Well, maybe because it wasn't a "cluster-F" during testing and internal use.

This happens to me with a couple of apps. I'm not trying to argue with you, but what makes you think it's a bug with OS X and not VLC?

11. xheathen macrumors 6502

Is there some kind of feature I'm just missing when I use Safari? I can't for the life of me think why anyone would make an effort to use it in the place of Chrome or FireFox. It's certainly the slower of those 3 choices.

And what are you trying to use spaces for? It kind of seems like mission control's hotkeys for switching from one screen to another is pretty dang good. I thought I'd really miss spaces but it hasn't been the case at all.

12. realchimera macrumors regular

That's why the main stream OS is windows, not os x

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't use Safari on my PC or Mac. It sucks on both.
    If you like Spaces, you might want to consider Lion. They implemented Spaces nicely (now known as Mission Control)

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

+1
    Safari never was a decent browser and for a while was laoded with bloat and useless feature and still lacking the actually really good usability features than Chrome and FF copied from Opera. Maybe 5.1 is a sign to make the switch and get used to a decent browser.
    I would even prefer IE9 to Safari.

15. hajime macrumors 68030

Firefox is another option.

16. weckart macrumors 68040

Firefox and fast hasn't been true for a long time, now. On any platform.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

I did a little test where I visited a bunch of my "every day" webpages with FF7, Chrome and Safari (running only one browser at a time, plus Activity Monitor), and Safari used the least amount of processor power and RAM of the three.

What sort of problems are you guys running into that makes you want to use another browser?

18. marc11 macrumors 68000

And Chrome is no perfect browser, it uses almost 190mb of HDD space, vs 75 for FF7, and 6.1mb for Safari so talk about bloat, what the heck is in Chrome that makes it so huge?

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This. I have no problems, not to mention the OP just says about the problems but never mentions anything specific so we can't help.

If an app doesn't stay put its the app dev's responsibility, hence why some apps when updating after spaces first came out would say things like "fixed a bug with spaces".

Maya does this too, its tool pallets like to follow you from space to space while the main screen stays put.

----------

I work in IT with Windows for a living. I assure you it is far far far from the perfect OS. If it was perfect I wouldn't have had a job for the past 10 years.

20. snberk103, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

snberk103 macrumors 603

Yeah, me too. Safari works fine for me. Don't need VLC, so I don't have that bug either. I just use OS X to get my work done, and to have fun while I avoid work.... :)

Actually, a lot of that "why" is because MS engaged in illegal competitive practices. They had (or is it 'still have'?) court ordered limits on what they were allowed to do with Windows, and the selling thereof. Plus 6 years ago they paid IBM $775million (When a $775million was still worth a lot of money) to settle IBMs antitrust suit against MS. With this settlement, and the ones to Novell and Sun among others it was estimated that MS paid about $3billion to settle various antitrust/anticompetitive suits. Before they got around to settling the claims coming out of Europe. Link

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't know why you would use VLC when you can just download Perian and use Quicktime 7. :confused:

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

23. weckart macrumors 68040

Because it sucks as a player. Even with Perian, QT7 is slower than MPlayerX, Movist and VLC. Try playing any WMV file with Flip4Mac installed for example. Furthermore, there will always be the odd file that only VLC can play.

24. ravenvii, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Safari 5.1: Just use Chrome. That's what I did. Only feature Safari has over Chrome is bookmark syncing, which kind of sucks, but I deal.

Spaces issues: most of it is on the app, not the OS. Remember the long-standing issues with Microsoft Office? Finally fixed in 2010?

And I'm not sure why it's so important to keep VLC the frontmost app? Just click the window to bring it into focus, what's the big deal?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, of course.

EDIT: I downloaded VLC and tried putting it in a space. When I switch to another space, then back, VLC goes into focus. Seems to work fine for me.