I am so very curious what Apple will do in an iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Terrestrial, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Terrestrial macrumors newbie

First time poster here. My first pc way back when was an Apple II. I've flipped PC and MAC over the years and I am an avid fan of the company.

So very curious what Apple has in store for the iPad 2. In a sense I can see them coming out with the minor "3G to 3GS" type upgrade everyone is talking about, but really, after the advent of the Android Honeycomb tablets, it just seems crazy to me to imagine Apple allowing its marketshare to be eaten away by the emergence of the Android tablets and effectively cannibalizing its own iPad sales by replacing an iPad 2 with an iPad 3 in the next six months or so.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Apple to forego a minor refresh in April and just come up with an Android killing tablet in September? Doesn't it send the wrong competitive message when faced with Android to do a minor refresh now?

Remarkable how this market is shaping up. I rightly predicted the death of the PC as I knew it years ago. Just no point to buying more souped up PCs. But I NEVER saw this coming down the pike. Smartphone and Tabletmania appears to know NO bounds does it?

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

3. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Btw, a top of the line iPad and top of the line Android Tablet is better for all of us. No competition is like when back in the day when you were paying 45c a minute to use your phone at home.

4. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Can't wait!:D

6. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Right now, mac computers are the only competitor to pc computers. Sure, each pc manufacturer is competing with other pc manufacturer, but it is on the hardware only. Pc is so entrenched into businesses such that no other other os can compete. So, mobile space is invading the "trucks" if you will. As more businesses accept iPad, more will accept mac computers, too. Hopefully, mac os x lion can start an apple revolution and increase apple computers share into the vast market.

iPad 2 rumors are so rampant that it is almost hard to tell what will be happen. I am hoping for a dual core or a surprise for quad core. I am hoping for a few skews. I am hoping for another suprise and see a retina display. However, most I really want is the dual core or better. Other than that, I hope apple has some amazing, "magical" suprises.

7. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Sorry to break this to you, but unlike the late 70's, 80's 90's ect where machines were different.

Mac computers ARE PC Computers. They are just crammed into a slimline case, like a giant laptop on a stand, and are running a different Operating System. There is very little stopping any PC in the world from being a Mac.
    It's just a bit of software and a thin case.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And they prettymuch always have been, pedantically speaking. (Is "PC computer" redundant?)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is not going to come up with an android killing tablet, just as much as HTC creating an iPad killing device.

People want choice, and not everyone wants an ipad. There are folks that want an android based tablet.

As to apple forgoing a minor update in April, I don't see that occurring. The update will be in April and by all accounts it will be rather minor (especially when you compare it against the new tablets coming out). A small 1mp camera and a front facing camera. A boost in ram, maybe some update to the A4 processor. Thats about it.

10. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Well, only in recent years.

The Old Apple II type machines were obviously not and then the 1st mac was not either. All nice custom made machines.
    I'd still really class the power PC mac's as their own machines, that's just my opinion.

But as soon as you start using pretty much off the shelf PC motherboards, Intel core2duo CPU's and PC laptop graphics cards, well, a Mac really is just a Intel PC in another box.

Shame Apple has lost this was of doing things nowadays, but I guess it's a lot cheaper than doing custom work. And obviously far easier.

I do miss the old days though.

11. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when iPad2 comes out. This will be a minor upgrade over iPad1. It will be a little thinner with 512ram and front facing camera. CPU will be the same along with screen resolution. This will allow it to be priced cheaper than the Android tablets coming out but lacking in the hardware and specs.

12. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

For me, I just want the announcement. We want a second iPad in the house and certainly won't buy one now with the refresh around the corner. I seriously thought there would have been a keynote announcement at least by now!

I'm not expecting spectacular upgrades but the anticipation is getting a bit old now!

13. drewrosenberg macrumors newbie

I will not be disappointed with the ipad2 unless it doesn't happen

I decided not to buy the ipad a year ago because it didn't have a camera. Even if they just put a camera on the existing ipad, I will buy it and will be very happy.

14. chrishemley823 macrumors newbie

Seriously. Apple, I get that you're a secretive company, but this is just annoying. You're making me really effing lose my patience. It's the most obvious thing ever, that the new iPad is going to be out soon, just GIVE US A DATE FOR THE ANNOUNCEMENT.

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

"Death of the PC"?! LMAO! Yeah right, it's really dead... Besides, an Apple Mac is just a name for a computer, just as much as SONY VAIO or DELL Inspiron. However, only Apple fanboys go around calling their "personal computers" by their trademarks like some kind of fashion victim. I don't suppose you wear jeans do you? You probably wear Levis or Ted Baker... Neither eh? :rolleyes:

As for the iPad and them waiting to release an "Android killer", believe it or not, devices like this do not live or die by they hardware specs or underlying OS. It's predominantly about the software you can extend them with, and Apple is leagues ahead in that regard.

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if they do a minor refresh only they will lose a ton of customers. especially those who have bought 11 inch air. since i bought my air i hardly use my ipad. so not only do i already have an ipad but i hardly use it. so the ipad 2 better be impressive if they want to get my attention. otherwise why bother. im mostly waiting for the macbook 11 inch air 2 more then the ipad 2 now.

17. danielveeee macrumors regular

I still think apple will have something up their sleeve for the iPad 2.
    All the rumors about it being a small boring upgrade just don't seem right
    To me. It has been a full year since it was released

18. ghoti macrumors member

Man... I can't wait. I wish it would get announced already.

19. Terrestrial thread starter macrumors newbie

Cute post Gryzor

Well in my judgment the PC is dead. It has been supplanted and supplemented in so many different ways. Just look at the Atrix and the tablature.

One day in the not too distant future, the "PC" will in fact be a tablet you attach to a docking station with a keyboard. And that will likely be it.

In any event, not a fanboy. I built my last Windows PC from scratch and my laptop is a Dell. (Said I'd switched back and forth didnt I?)

Just seems so hard to believe the new iPad would be a minor upgrade. Only way that happens is if Apple really underestimated Android. But there is the 3GS phenomenon isnt there. I do think the Xoom looks pretty fantastic, however and it seems to me the choice wont be as much about specs for me as App selection and so forth.

Pretty exciting time in the technology sector, however for us all.

20. deadwalrus macrumors regular

In other words, same specs as the iPhone 4. Well, I guess a crappier camera and screen.

Thanks but no thanks. If this is true I will regrettably have to buy an Android.

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So we'll pretty much know when Apple will announce the version 2's? Gee, Apple will sure sell a lot of the 1st version in the meanwhile then, won't they? The shareholders would love that, wouldn't they?

22. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Wow, you built a PC, from off-the-shelf components that just slot together?! I build ALL of my desktop PCs, including a few laptops in my time.

If you are saying that these tablets etc. are marking the death of the "PC", then you are also saying they mark the death of Mac, because hardware-wise, they are effectively one and the same thing - just a different OS.

23. Terrestrial thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha wasn't bragging. Just identifying myself as not a fanboi. Impressive on the laptop builds by the way.

Interesting issue about Mac. And yes, I see the tablets cutting into the laptop market eventually. If the components ultimately yield sufifcient performance, then yes I see everyone will ultimately make the switch from laptops to tablets just as most have switched from desktops to laptops. (Yes, yes, I know the issues on file management etc)

The funny thing is that I don't believe Apple will cause this to happen deliberately. i see Android tablets as really moving this along. Motorola for example has nothing to lose from causing a migration to tablets. There are no PC sales to cannibalize for them. They'll add laptop functionality to the tablets over time (Nvidia's graphic development work is certainly paving the way there) because they want to cut into that market.

It is a natural progression. If portability and utility in tablets equal or exceed the laptop, it will happen.

24. Hawke macrumors regular

Agreed +1