iPad mini I am speechless iPad Mini 5 successor

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Sep 12, 2015.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I'll make this short.

I really wanted a iPad Mini 4 this year but no 3D Force Touch and no Stylus support kills it. I'll show you the $299.99 Tablet I just purchased that is literally $100 off iPad Mini 4 and 5 Killer. Heck iPAd Pro and you can buy it today.

https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/specifications/

2.3Ghz Quad Core Intel 64-Bit CPU and 4GB RAM, and 64GB of Storage.

in the end this is what I hope ends up happening with the iPad line in general.

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Enjoy buying and using specifications. iPad users enjoy the OS and the apps. The usefulness of a device is defined by more than its hardware specifications.

4. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

this from a guy boasting his outdated hardware specs in his forum signature.

5. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Okay, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you like it, but looking at the day that you signed up to this forum...isn't it kind of suspicious?

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Boasting? Hmmm. OK, perhaps you could interpret that way. Not boasting, but, whatever.

Outdated? Perhaps a little. Laptop is from 2011. Still serving me well enough. iMac is from 2013. More than fast enough for what I do -- a 3.5GHz quad core i7 is hardly outdated unless you're 12 years old and care for nothing but Grand Theft Auto. iPad & iPhone are, at least for another few weeks, the best you can currently buy from Apple.

And all specs aside, I have no interest in running Android, so your "superior" tablet is hardly that.

7. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I think the mini will always be the red headed step child of iPads.

8. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

Yeah... yeah, you enjoy that Asus and that Android.

9. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't misunderstand people, the iPad and Mini and Pro all have their place. Just imagine, on a budget basis hard working Americans head off to Best Buy, and tryout the iPad Pro, very nice. Ouch $800

Oh looks whats this over here 64GB of storage hmm ok and this ZStylus 4GB of RAM and USB Type C port

Specs aside its doing all the fancy drawing things the iPad Pro is doing, or at least good enough.

Its gonna be huge its an choice its an alternative to Apples Ferrari or their lower tier Mercdes Benz iPad Mini 4,

Its a Nissan, its a BMW, its got good quality alot of features.

Heck you can get one of these for $300 and an iPad Air 3 (whenever it launches) for the price of an iPad Pro

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I laughed at that, thank you

11. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

looks great on the vid! have to dig more info about it... i have a bad experience with asus transformer and support for the tablet, so it is quite hard to get me buying asus tablets again.

12. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have an Asus TF700T with clamshell keyboard that looks great but runs like cr*p even after rooting and loading a custom ROM. Great specs on it but Asus used cheap, slow memory in it, turning what should have been a showcase product into a laggy lump. And yes, Asus' support is "legendary". I've been an Android user for years and still have a Nexus 7 and Galaxy Note 4 but I replaced the TF700T with an Air 2 and couldn't be happier with it. I do know I'll never purchase another Asus product.

13. mrex, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

i bought tf300t and it was a nightmare from the beginning and the keyboard was buggy. they really never fixed the software althought they released alot of updates. i rarely used it.

i do have asus laptop, zenbook, which is already 3years old but still running like a new one. much better than my newer mbpr (13") and just installed win10 and it works great. Nothing bad to say about their high-end laptops, but i wouldnt buy their budget price laptops, phones, tablets...

i just read that this tablet is getting hot when playing and suffering throttling?? the camera is mediocre (oh well, the tablet is a cheap too). i can see myself buying it and keeping it on my bag, but would i use it at home? hmm... most of the time when im surfing around the net, im using my air2 (or a laptop) and when doing some work stuff related writing/sketching, i use my Note10.1. if i didnt have Note already, this tablet could be interesting for the price. but im still wondering how well the pen is getting support from app developers.

14. randyspellwyn macrumors newbie

Come on now, iOS doesn't need beefy specs. Even the mini 4 will be so beefy if it'll have everything that Air 2 has. Though, you're right on the storage size. Yes, Apple is pretty stingy about that.

15. Mystro, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

I have played in the android world long enough with out any price constrictions to realize there still isn't a iPad equal. I couldn't find one at any price and I tried hard. I like both android and iOS platforms and wanted a equally powerful android tablet to match the iPad. I could find a better screen in the Galaxy line but that was as far as it goes. Everything else fell way short.

The dirty little truth with the android platform is that specs mean nothing with actual performance. Wait until the real world speed test come out. The iPad always wins. Then there is the build quality issue, apps, etc......

16. Reality4711 macrumors 6502

Reality4711

Reading the specs and the small print gave me a headache:(

Nuff said.

17. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Please enjoy your purchase. I doubt you will convert anyone that enjoys Apples offerings.
    There are lots of alternatives out there. But they don't link seamlessly to everything else that I have. There is a reason that Apple is making billions and its not from the opinions found at this site, its because their products preform - without rooting and messing with the system endlessly.
    I use my kit for consumption and work - and everything I have still does a good job without me having to tweak.
    I started in the android world. I doubt I'll ever go back.

18. newellj macrumors 601

I've owned a couple of Android tablets and half a dozen Android phones and all I got were lots of problems with carrier and manufacturer support, a pile of OS and firmware update disasters and apps that were very good at crashing but not much good at anything else. The Apple ecosystem has plenty of drawbacks but it's miles ahead of Android. If anyone else is having a better experience, go for it. :)

19. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

i have owned and still owning few android products (a tablet, phone, tvbox and smartwatch) with pleasure and only once it was hit and miss and that was with asus transformer... the rest of my android gadgets are working well.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I've been following news on this tablet as well as the Galaxy Tab S2, as I generally prefer the versatility of Android tablets over iPads. This ZenPad looks very promising. The only real fault I've heard is that it has some bloatware on it, and no Android tablets seem to be able to match iPads in battery life.

To be honest, there have been Android tablets that offer better value than iPads since the first Nexus 7.

21. laffnvegas macrumors member

laffnvegas

Sorry but know too many that have had the Asus and the second name should be crashed apps, while the Mini iPad may not have every single option known to man for a small tablet I at least can trust having little to no problems with Apple.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

It's worth remembering that Asus also made both Nexus 7 tablets, and even now they're still well regarded. I'm still rocking the 2013 model myself.

23. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Which would explain why ASUS is doing so well in the the tablet market in the US.

LOL

24. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

No support for wireless ac, inferior back camera (5MP) and no Touch ID. The rest of the specs are hard to compare - only real usage will see whether it holds up.

I have a lot of respect for both iterations of the Nexus 7 from Asus, but there's nothing really compelling about the ZenPad S.

It does have microSD support, but good luck trying to install apps on a microSD card.

25. three macrumors 6502a

three

The ZenPad S is a VERY nice tablet, the one thing that I really don't like, is the customizations that Asus does to Android. Their skin and customizations are pretty bad.